nstelemark

Originally E.V.I.L.
Real Name
Larry

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
I think every top model new release in the last few years has been advertised as an Autofocus revolution, and very few actually held up to that promise. After so many promises, I would say that I only believe these claims when I see them tested by independent sites. And that means that on Announcement day the chances of getting accurate information on AF are pretty slim.

All that being said, I am actually pretty happy with Autofocus in mu43 (as I have posted in the GX9 thread), and I am still using a lowly GX7 (no DFD). I am really not sure how many people really do need these amazing capabilities, but if you say you need them, who am I to judge.
I agree with you about holding off on taking the marketing spiel at face value. As for "what's good enough", I guess it all depends on what you're shooting. When shooting race cars coming out of a corner and accelerating to over 100mph, or panning with cars while keeping a shutter speed of 1/20 or slower, then fast and accurate AF-C is needed. But maybe I'm asking too much out of my m43 cameras, and for stuff like that I'm better off with a dedicated DSLR. Regardless, if mirrorless wants to attract professionals, they need to deliver AF performance that can match the top performing DSLRs. With Fuji and Sony upping their game, Olympus & Panasonic need to respond, because the "well it's mirrorless" excuse doesn't really fly anymore.

And just as reference, these are the type of shots I use AF-C for. Is it somewhat of a torture-test for the camera's AF system? Probably, but DSLR's manage to handle it just fine, and that has not been my finding up to this point with m43 cameras, regardless of what the marketing machine tells you. I managed to get better results with a D500 and the 7 year old 70-200 f/2.8 VR II than I did with the E-M1 II and 40-150 f/2.8 PRO, which tells me that it's not an issue with the lens being able to keep up, but instead the AF-C performance of the camera itself.

35466418474_5d876893e1_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/X73zzg]
36168024381_188aa33c26_b.jpg

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Xf8ySS]
36259529566_bca691fbbe_b.jpg

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Db7M7U]
24399687828_6eafe4bb9b_b.jpg
[/url][/url][/url]

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yikes. Why would he even post that photo of the birds on the top of the second page? The birds are not sharp, and the WB appears to be all screwy.

I was thinking the same. I actually like the shot, the WB does convey a bit of a mood and I don't mind the lack of sharpness, but this is not what you put into your PR thing on a new super sharp lens.

SLOtographer

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Stan
The G9 looks good and is more or less equivalent to the EM1.2. I just purchased an EM1.2, but had the G9 been available I would have tested it and put it on the short list. I tend to prefer Panasonic ergonomics, and the big EVF is big plus. That said, to me it's splitting hairs between the two. Both are excellent, and I like that we have more choices.

I could see hybrid event photogs interested in the G9. Put a 12-60 on one G9, and fast primes + tele on the other G9.

It's probably too niche still for m43, but a camera body with native base ISO 50 or 64, 14-bit raw (if it matters), and more megapixels could be attractive. My hunch is that those who want those things buy FF anyways, so maybe there isn't a market in m43 at this point in time.

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
And just as reference, these are the type of shots I use AF-C for. Is it somewhat of a torture-test for the camera's AF system? Probably, but DSLR's manage to handle it just fine, and that has not been my finding up to this point with m43 cameras, regardless of what the marketing machine tells you. I managed to get better results with a D500 and the 7 year old 70-200 f/2.8 VR II than I did with the E-M1 II and 40-150 f/2.8 PRO, which tells me that it's not an issue with the lens being able to keep up, but instead the AF-C performance of the camera itself.

I wouldn't say somewhat I would say it is.

From what i have seen a lot of the F1 photographers set focus manually in burst mode and just let the cars just run into focus.

Like this one for example.
f627414971be57bccdb4fa02744b2fdd.jpg

EOS-1D X
f/4
1/8000
ISO 100
600mm

This is at COTA, and I'm pretty sure this is the turn 19 so 280ish km/h.

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
They will call their contrast detect DFD until they find something new, or decide that actually everyone else was right all along and introduce a hybrid system with OSPDAF....

Well, if we're being honest, the E-M1 II was touted as being a significant upgrade as well, but many members who purchased the camera based on those promises have a different opinion, myself included...

Which just goes to show that Panasonic adopting PDAF is not the automatic answer to everything.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Which just goes to show that Panasonic adopting PDAF is not the automatic answer to everything.
I think its more Olympus figuring out how to get OSPDAF right. Canon, Sony and Fuji have figured out how to do it, and I just think that Olympus is lagging behind a bit.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Whoa. In a moment of weakness I looked at some of the comments on 43rumors. It amazes me how much rancor can be generated over a camera.

Latest threads

Top Bottom