new Panasonic FZ70 with 60x optical zoom...seriously?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by twalker294, Jul 17, 2013.

1. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Well look at it this way....If you need a really long reach and no interchangeable lens cameras are allowed at the venue....
  3. RajC

RajC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    Very interesting development

Had I not recently bought a m4/3, I'd strongly consider this one - though I'd want to read more reviews.
    My previous camera is a Canon superzoom, which was great but had its limitations. The m4/3 is slightly faster and slightly better IQ.
    Not having to change lenses is very nice.
  4. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Beats the new Kodak superzoom. :)
    Kodak PixPro AZ521 Hands-On Preview

I've used the Nikon P510 and the Fuji S4200. The long zoom is really quite impressive. The Nikon was definitely the better camera, and neither compared to the G5 with the 100-300. I'd rather crop a high quality image.

But for what they do, superzooms are very nice. I do think the fake DSLR body style is pointless though, and caters to the ignorance of consumers. Maybe something like the FZ200 with a constant f/2.8 aperture benefits since it needs a larger lens. But cameras like the Sony HX50 show you can put 30x optical zoom into a compact body.
  5. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    DPReview's initial impression seems to indicate the lens - even at full telephoto - works pretty well in decent light. And the lens is f/2.8 at the wide end. The FZ70 could have a nice home in the bridge camera class.
  6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
  7. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    One interesting thing about the FZ70: it's a 20mm equivalent at the wide end. Is there any other fixed lens camera with that spec?
  8. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    And the wide end is equivalent to 10mm on μ43. That's rather nice.
  9. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    I'm not doubting the convenience of a 20-1200mm lens -- I'm just doubting the QUALITY of such a lens. I don't see how it's possible to design a 60x zoom that is high quality throughout the range. But stranger things have happened I guess. Just look at the new Sigma 18-35/1.8...
  10. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

Well the lens doesn't have to be that high quality, look at the audience.

Think about it this way, they say 90% of dslr owners never own anything more than the kit lens. Well... if you put a "ok" lens and :eek:k" sensor in a super-zoom camera (or even just a medium zoom camera).... there'll be no need for a "dslr" anymore for 90% of the people.
  11. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    At nearly 2x the price it should be better.:tongue:
  12. Hagane

Hagane Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
    Limburg, Netherlands
    If the quality is sufficient for the target audience, then it is good enough.

I'm always amazed at the good ratings for the Fuji S4200 on Amazon. A camera so bad that imaging-resource stopped the test halfway.

I had one and detail was non-existant, extreme sharpening and noisereduction in-camera made the pics art-like (and not in a good way...)

But -as mentioned above- a lot of people don't bother/see it and are happy with this quality...
  13. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    The FZ series has always been an amazing work horse for me throughout it various adaptations from the FZ3 (10x f/2.8 thru ) through the recent FZ60. The FZ70's 20mm wide makes the camera extra desirable.

For a decade the FZ line has incorporated a feature allowing the user to effectively double the existing ultra zoom focal length optically not digitally. It seems an easily implemented feature I wish Panasonic would add to the MFT line:2. A Little Extra Zoom Kick. Thanks to its Intelligent Resolution technology, the FZ70 can extend the zoom ratio up to 120X equivalent while maintaining the picture quality.. It focuses only the center of the lens to cover the entire sensor in medium quality setting, vs the maximum quality setting.
  14. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

From my readings the Panny FZ series has been a hit with bird enthusiasts.... small compact decent quality fast aperture long range and simple. On the other hand, lets not confuse their needs with that of the photographer. Its still a small sensor camera.

I for one have been waiting for the new FZ to be released..... I want the previous version used.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mu-43 mobile app
  15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    +1 on the Fuji XS-1. It's the best superzoom sensor that I know, although it's pretty big and heavy. I'm not as bothered by the DSLR styling since that body type is ergonomically favored by many. I mean, that's why DSLRs (and Lumix G) are shaped that way.
  16. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    That's basically the ETC mode on the Panny's. I use that in video mode quite often, but never in stills mode.
  17. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    No argument here. I just wish they'd bring out an XS-2 with the sensor and processing from the X20.
  18. eljay

eljay Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Before I got my first DSLR, I used Canon S2 IS. Yes, it was a long time ago, but I remember getting pretty good images from that camera and to my surprise I was able to get better panning shots from that than from my Sony A200 when I started using it.
    So, I think this should be a decent camera for someone who wants to get long range in photos and especially video where their small pocketable p&s won't reach.
  19. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Exactly. And although small, I'll also add the OM-D to the GH2/GH3 group of DSLR shaped MFT bodies :smile:
  20. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Actually it is styled more along the lines of an old film SLR with no forward-projecting handgrip. It handles quite differently compared to a Panasonic GH model camera, even though in some dimensions it is not a lot smaller if at all.