New Panasonic 45-150mm f/4-5.6 Leaked

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    43 Rumors was tipped to an unnamed website which leaked a new 45-150mm f/4-5.6mm HD OIS lens. The first reaction most of us will have to this news is Yay, another f/4-5.6 telephoto zoom. After all, Panasonic already has a 45-200mm f/4-5.6 zoom and followed that with a 45-175mm f/4-5.6 zoom.

One of the first comments to the post on 43 Rumors gave me a chuckle:

At least one of the reasons for the new lens appears to be size. I scaled the leaked image of the upcoming 45-150 to that of the existing Panasonic lenses and version 1 of the Olympus 40-150 zoom. I used v1 instead of the similarly sized R version of the Olympus zoom because I couldn't find an image with the R version seen from a comparable angle to the Panasonics pictured here.

7567820254_23a1277878_o.

Visually, the new Panasonic lens is easily the most compact of the bunch. I'm guessing that the new 45-150mm lens replaces the existing 45-200mm lens and eventually hits a street price close to $200, while the PZ 45-175mm lens stays in the lineup as the slightly higher-end choice targeted at users for whom very smooth zooming during video is a priority.

Next up for a diet? My guess is the Panasonic 14-140 (460g), a lens that feels more like the APS-C Sony NEX megazoom(524g) than it does like the Oly 14-150 (280g).

2. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Yay, another standard kit zoom! (ok, mediocre was premature)

The initial X lenses are basically a disappointment I think. Mostly due to the issues seemingly with OIS. And how desirable is the 45-175 anyway? Most more serious video folks are probably using alternative lenses or will be gunning for the 2.8X's. Less serious folks won't want to shell for the cost.

This had better be official after the 35-100 and ideally whatever that telephoto prime rumor is =)

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    As much as we all think, "Yay, another mediocre kit zoom", I'm guessing that the majority of potential buyers don't look at anything beyond the standard and tele kit zooms when choosing a system. Shrinking one of those zooms probably translates into big bucks.

The X 14-45 PZ was clearly a disappointment to those in the forums, but I wonder how it did in terms of sales. Seeing a GF3 with 14-42 sitting next to an NEX-C3 with 18-55 on the shelf, they look about the same. Replace the Panasonic lens with the X PZ pancake, and I bet you get a lot more people walking out the door with it, none of whom have read anything about OIS-related issues.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    See, I'd be sorta following them if they at least weather sealed this one. Right now, my working theory is that they've got a bunch of new lens design interns and those interns are all doing basic m43 lenses.

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The fact that it's slow doesn't mean it's mediocre.

But it appears this will be released simultaneously with the G5. There's also been a rumor of a new "standard" kit zoom along the lines of the Oly 12-50. I expect we'll see a two-lens kit with the G5, 14-42 (or new 12-45ish lens), and the 45-150.

For the typical camera buyer, this will make a compact, light, reasonably high quality kit that does everything they need.

6. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Until we really see the size/specs of the lens…I’m hoping for the best. I am dying to get my 12-35mm and already anticipating the 35-100mm. Panny has done well by me w/ the 20mm, 45mm & soon to be 12-35mm on my Oly bodies.

It isn't something I am looking for...but why not for the casual shooter?

Let’s see how it shakes out…

7. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Panasonic 14-42mm X

I just picked up a new silver 14-42mm X at a very reduced price. I have wanted this lens from day 1, but I didn't buy one because so many experienced users reported problems and it was expensive for what it is. Recently, I began seeing good buyer reviews and took the plunge when the opportunity arose. It works perfectly on my G3 when handheld at any shutter speed with no blur. I would rate the lens very highly when compared with the Olympus and Panasonic kit zooms. It does not keep up with the Panasonic pancakes (14 & 20), but I didn't expect it to.

I suspect the 45-150mm is a replacement for the large 45-200mm. Obviously, the 100-300mm would go nicely with this lens for greater reach. I assume the lens will have improved IS and handling. I have the 45-200mm and like it, but it is large and not the smoothest handling lens in my bag. Choice is good, so bring it Panasonic!

Lee

8. Jorge Ledesma

Jorge Ledesma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    I'm still debating where a kit zoom fits in my shooting style. I've had the both Panny and Oly 14-42 and the Panny 14-45 and I'm still left saying "ah". It seems most folks here are leaning on the 12-35 2.8 though. I just want Photokina to come already.

9. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US

True, I think the continual updates of slow zooms has me jaded. I understand the kit is basically bread and butter, but how the 1st X lenses panned out and how we seemingly were teased forever about the 2.8X lenses, it feels as if they need to regroup. Though, with the early reports of the 12-35... maybe that is it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

If this is weather sealed, I don't really see the point seeing as the the OMD is the only m43 with weather sealing, unless the GH3 and/or G5 is weather sealed also.

If they can price this around what Oly variant cost I may pick it over that model just for the lens IS(G2 owner), that is if IQ is comparable(pref better).

11. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I doubt it'd be weather sealed... but if it is, that would certainly warrant an update. I would not mind them following Pentax in making their kit lenses sealed.

As for GH3 being weather sealed, it seems like a given since the 12-35 is and the 35-100 presumably is as well. Why make a weather sealed lens if you don't intend to make a body to make it useful?

12. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Another Panny 45-200mm owner here and the lens is surprisingly good given its price. I also have the 100-300. But the 45-200 sill gets some use. If the 45-150 is better optically while offering smaller size, lighter weight and a price in the same general range as the 45-200, I would pick it up in a heartbeat.

The original Panny 14-45 kit zoom remains an excellent piece of glass despite its aperture range. But an improved 12-50 (please don't let it be as big or as slow on the long end as the Oly 12-50) would also catch my interest.

I'm happy about all of the new, fast, high-end glass for micro four-thirds. Each introduction is another confirmation that the system as matured and really arrived. But upgrades for the consumer line really have me smiling. For the time being, I have to restrict my lens purchases to items at $500 or less.

13. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It is a little bit smaller and I would think a bit lighter too but not enough to warrant getting one. I am quite confused by this release! It does have the "HD" logo on it so it has been optimized for video.

14. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If it really is that small (smaller than the Olympus 40-150 and 45-175) with good image quality, I'll retract my comment about being yet another boring zoom.

I still think the PZ 14-42 X would be one of the best reasons to get into m4/3, if only they would fix the OIS problem. But there's been no acknowledgment, let alone an official fix. It's a pity, because the lens really does make the case for the whole system.

DH

15. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Well picking up good 14-42x is like a gamble, my previous 14-42x have this issue with soft image between 60s and 200s, and it broke with stuck barrel (can't retract). My new replacement (got it this month after spend 2 months getting it fixed) seems to be good in all shutter speed.

My friend also got it for his E-PL2, it basically replace the 14mm and 14-42mm II for everyday photo. Even though it got slow aperture but the build-in flash make it less of a problem. (can't say the same for the body without build in flash)

Btw if the the price is right I might consider getting this to replace the 40-150mm consider it is even smaller and have OIS on Pana body.

16. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Maybe the rumored pancake tele lens from panasonic is the 2015 45-50mm f4-5,6 :rofl:

17. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I am interested in the 100-300 but since I own the 45-200 it has not been compelling.

The 45-150 would better pair with the 100-300. Though the 35-100 would pair better still.

18. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    According to a Russian press release, the 45-150 weighs 200g and is 73mm long. Considering the 52mm filters, it looks like the diameter can't be more than 65mm or so. That makes it smaller than the Olympus 40-150, and only 10g heavier, despite having an OIS mechanism.

So I suppose it does serve a purpose after all. It is not a power zoom.

DH

19. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    So, taking OIS out of the equation, how would this lens differ from the existing Olympus 40-150?

20. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    It's smaller. Beyond that, we don't really know enough yet. It could be sharper and more contrasty, or softer. It might AF faster, or it might not. It might focus closer, or not as close.

In a couple of days, we'll know more. Once we see some tests, we'll be able to answer your question.