1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New p20 ii

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Chrisnmn, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Its real!

(just when i bought my fifth copy of the P25!)

(FT5) Hot! First image of the new 20mm f/1.7 II lens! | 43 Rumors

if they really improve the AF. this could be THE lens for me. I sold the first one due to poor AF only. This could be the return of why i got into m43 in the first place. Pancakes!

I love the FOV as i come from shooting a Contax T2 (38mm) which is one of my all time favorite cameras.

OMD-P20II or EP5-VF4-P20II

good stuff Panasonic!. you're listening. and we like that. :drinks:

2. SrPantuflas

SrPantuflas Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2013
    Chile, South America.
    bakan! i mean, cool!
    this will be my next lens for sure. (when i get the money hahaha)
    hope to see it as kit lens option on the next GX, i'm sure this will be popular as the current 20mm

3. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Looking good. If IQ is at least as good, and AF is fast and quiet... I will definitely swap my current 20 (which I got with my GF1 three years ago) for the II. Wonderful focal length, aperture speed, size, and IQ with the 20.

4. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sounds like an interesting lens.. I will keep my out for sure... I am loving the 14mm right now...:)

5. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    where will the favorite old 20mm go?

6. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    And people wonder why there is so much gear talk here. New gear is always popping up left and right!

I have to say they did a good job with the redesign, looks very sleek and modern. I love that new finish Panasonic puts on their new lenses.

7. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Yes, you're right Vin, im one of those that wonder and starting to hate every "what lens next" "my photo at 400% doesnt look as sharp as 100%" thread there is. But, as we all are victims one way or another, i thought that pointing about this new P20 was a good thing, as is one of the "key" lenses within the system right?. and no one saw it coming, anytime soon, right. im stoked.

AF speed is all i ask, if its metal, weather sealed, f0,5 or not, thats fine by me.

8. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I have to say I was not expecting this and was quite surprised. This has been what a lot of people were asking for, kudos to Panasonic for listening.

In a way I enjoy Micro Four Thirds because it's evolving at such a crazy pace. So many new bodies and lenses being released in a short time, it can be quite exciting. And there's nothing wrong with that. The problem is some people get so caught up in the gear they can't enjoy what they already have because they are always looking ahead at the next best thing.

9. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Let's start the rumor that the new 20 will be the kit lens with the GX2. Maybe Panny will hear it and believe it. :) It'll be like the good old days of the GF1.

The 20 Classics are going to be a nice bargain on the used market (they are already), unless the update is priced way high. And the 17/1.8 and 25/1.4 might even drop a bit, as I imagine some folks will just go with the 20mm instead of that pair.

10. efoo

efoo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Eddie
    Ooh, exciting news. Same here for me, if this new lens can improve on AF speed and maintain everything else as the original version (though the news says it will be lighter), I will buy this lens. Oly 17mm f/1.8's relatively high price and OK IQ is not convincing enough for me at the moment.

11. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I like where you're going with this Dean. :2thumbs: Im one of those people by the way. I would only have the P20II if they do fix it instead of the 17 or 25 as my main lens. According to the rumor was around Yen$40.000 which comes around USD$410 which is not bad at all!

12. BubbleChamber

BubbleChamber Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    Silicon Valley, California
    Kiley
    It's already available for pre-order on Amazon for $399. No price on B & H yet.

13. BigMike

BigMike Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2012
    Wow, that's really competitive pricing, why would anyone buy the mark I version anymore...unless there is a significant price drop.

14. Deosola

Deosola New to Mu-43

May 28, 2013
    Orange County, CA
    Quite a few people are saying that the new 20mm 1.7 II is merely a cosmetic change. No improvement in AF speed.

The spec sheet from Panny seems to confirm this rumor. Again it is only a rumor.

15. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    it doesnt make any sense to only do a cosmetic change on a lens. Invest in new design, new materials, etc for the same lens. Yes it is in term of specs, but i really doubt it didnt have an improved AF.

I think that Deans idea of being the new combo with the upcoming gx2 is quite possible and might be a super winner for Pana.

16. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    KL Malaysia
    My comment from other thread

• AFC does not work for still image recording.
    • The LUMIX G 20mm / F1.7 II ASPH. utilizes a lens drive system to realize a compact and bright F1.7 lens. As a result, sound and vibration may occur during focus operation, but this is not a malfunction.
    • Operating sounds will be recorded when auto focus is performed during motion image recording. It is recommended to record with Continuous AF set to OFF, if the sound of operation bothers you. Also, it is not possible to set the focus mode to AFC.

from
    Digital Interchangeable Lenses | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global

DOES IT MEANS AF IS STILL SLOW??? bummer...............

edit: found out that the description is the same for both old and new model in terms of autofocus functionality.

17. Acliff

Acliff Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 21, 2011
    Southampton, UK
    Due to the reduced weight of the lens, perhaps the lens group is lighter, with a slightly more powerful motor? Won't know until its tested.

I don't mind the noise, don't really do video, I want it in the silver finish to go with my EPM1 :)

18. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Adorama has it for $419, and the old version is still listed at $399.

19. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Researching and testing a completely new optical layout for a lens is expensive though. Seems like they have basically put the innards of the old P20 into a lighter housing with a new motor. Not that I'm saying that won't make a significant difference, but it will still be one of the slower m43 lenses to focus.

20. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I hope panny does release the GX2 with the new 20 as a combo, kinda of like a tribute to the GF1 and original 20 kit (which is what got me into m4/3). I aggree that it doesn't make sense for panny to release a new version of the 20 w/o addressing the slow AF issue, I hope this is not the case if it is there's no real incentive for me to pick it up (as I picked up the new Oly 17 to replace my original 20).