New owner

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by wayne, Aug 27, 2012.

1. wayne

wayne Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2012
    Hello everyone,
    I just became a new owner of an OMD with a 12-50mm lens. Cameta Camera just got a new shipment in today.
    I wanted to take advantage of the $150 rebate so I also purchased the 45mm f1.8 lens.
    This will be replacing my old Nikon D3000 so it should be a step up for me.
    Now the BIG learning curve begins. I'm sure you will be hearing more from me once the camera arrives. I will have a million and one questions for you experts.

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome aboard - look forward to seeing some photos when it arrives.

3. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I certainly am no expert (though there is an abundance of them on this forum) but I'll be happy to chip in. Welcome to the club. You bought for yourself a magnificent camera. You will not be sorry. :biggrin:

4. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris
  5. hydro

hydro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Randy Hyde
    Miley, I've been looking into a long lens for my EM5 and see you have the 75-300. How do you like it?

6. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I like it a ton. Just a disclaimer, I've never owned the Panny 100-300mm so I have no basis of comparison except for it's much smaller and online reviews have shown no real world difference between the 2. Before the EM-5 came along, I had an E-PL3 and was very satisfied with IQ although I admit coupled with the 2-axis IBIS of that camera, it was excellent from 75-150mm but only very good through 300mm. Coupled with the 5-axis IBIS (better than lens OIS from what I've read), IQ is noticeably excellent through 300mm. What I have noticed is that contrast and color start to become muddied past 200mm but if you shoot RAW, this should be a non-issue and is easily recoverable in post. :thumbup:

I have a small gallery which I started. So far I've only posted my zoo and park pics but most of those are shot with the 75-300mm with minor PP adjustments.

7. hydro

hydro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Randy Hyde
    Mikey, thanks. My research shows the Pany to be larger and redundant with the EM5 re: IBIS, but almost 1/3 the cost. I haven't found much evidence that the Oly is that superior in actual picture quality. Right now, I'm leaning toward the Pany, but wanted to get your opinion. Again, thanks.

8. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    you're welcome. you're right, there's no hard evidence saying either is better than the other. i just prefer smaller and found lens IS redunant with IBIS as you've already pointed out.

Re: pricing, as far as I know MSRP for the oly is 900usd while it's 500usd for the panny so it's about 1/2 (not 1/3) the cost. Unfortunately, because of supply issues, you'll find the panny (new) being sold at up to 100usd above msrp. if you have nothing against used, you can sometimes score a used oly for 700usd on ebay (i just checked and there aren't any listings right now)

9. hydro

hydro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Randy Hyde
    Refurbished Panys can be had for about $300 US, if you look hard enough. That's what I was referencing. I think the Oly is new enough that new is about all you can find in it.

10. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Thanks for the info. Nice to know. Am considering getting a second body (a Panny, maybe a G5) and that info may come in real handy. :smile:

11. hydro

hydro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Randy Hyde
    There was an eBay seller (dealer, it looks like) who listed it for $267.95, shipping included. Cameta has it for $319. I've done business with Cameta. Good service.

12. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris
    Cameta doesn't list any Panasonic lenses on their website. I was getting all excited to break my promise at not buying lenses at your $319 mention :redface:

13. hydro

hydro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Randy Hyde
    You're right, sorry. It's the Oly 70-300 I was thinking of (working from memory which these days is asking too much :)). With that lens you would need an adapter, an additional $175 or so.