New owner of a GX1 saying Hi

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by conuk, Jun 22, 2012.

1. conuk

conuk New to Mu-43

Jun 22, 2012
    Hi guys - googled and ended up here - hope I can learn a few things from the posts here.

Just bought my GX1 in the UK last week - mainly to take holiday snaps and hopefully catch some good shots of my 3 year old boy who doesnt like his photo taken.... hopefully this GX1 is quick enough ;)

I must admit going from a Canon point and shoot (after owning a DSLR a while back) to this is pretty daunting...... Auto this and auto that - Scene mode this or Creative - it seems this has a lot of options .... but Im not sure what is useful and what is gimmicky ....

to shoot Raw or Jpg - or both ?
    what size image?
    What type of focus etc ?

I have lots of questions but I will read through the forums and see if I can pick up any tips to start.

If anybody could point me out some tips to start with that would be great. Its a pity there isnt a good dummies guide to the GX1 available !

Anyways Hi from the UK and hope to contribute real soon.
  2. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    Welcome! Another GX1 owner here. I would start with just P-mode, which is almost fully auto. That's what I use most of the time, unless I am looking for specific effect, like photographing something moving quickly, then I'll switch to the Shutter Priority and see how high of a shutter speed I can get away with.
    I shoot usually Jpeg, unless it's a dark situation, then I might use RAW so I can later process a cleaner photo. I use Largest size Jpeg. Usually center - focus. Sometimes I will switch to spot focus if it's small object like a bird . You'll want to watch White Balance . you can use the presets, or follow the camera menu to make a preset by focusing on a white object.
    I find the burst shooting mode can be very useful. Rest is really just composition.

half the final result of a good photo can be post-processing. If you don't have a good program, like Adobe Lightroom, I'd get that first. Then you can straighten, crop, adjust colors, lighten , darken, and do more complicated things if you want.
    Enjoy! :smile:
  3. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Raw vs Jpeg: if you don't mind doing a bit of post processing in lightroom, I'd strongly recommend Raw. Yes it takes a bit more time, but I find that I learn more about what/how I was shooting, and can get better final images than from Jpeg. If you don't care to spend that time, Jpeg can be fine, especially if you spend time making sure the exposure is correct while shooting.

As for what mode to shoot in, I spend about 85% in Aperture, 14% in Manual, and 1% in Shutter priority modes. In three years of owning first a GF1 and now a GX1, I don't think I've ever used a scene or creative mode. The things I find myself using most are ISO, aperture, shutter speed, AF mode, meetering mode, and the fire control/bracket. But I also bought into the system from a point and shoot b/c I wanted to learn and control what the camera was doing, not let it pick for me.
  4. jasonmc

jasonmc New to Mu-43

Sep 8, 2011
    Hi Conuk
    I use a GF2
    I have a 3 year old boy too (and 6 and 8 year old boys). When I’m shooting these fast moving targets, I use;
    S - Shutter priority - around 200, to freeze motion
    ISO - Auto
    AF Mode - Face detect or centre focus.

If I can get them stillish for a portrait (environmental portrait)
    A - Aperture priority - around 2 (with the 20mm 1.7).
    ISO - iIso, Intelligent ISO.
    AF mode - Face detect

Have fun.

5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Congrats on the GX1 ... I had one set-aside then switched at the very last second and picked-up an E-P3 (it's for my G/F and I think she needs the IBIS.)

Waiting to see pixs of the kid.

6. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Congrats and welcome, also from the UK.
  7. Bl0at3r

Bl0at3r Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2012
    Essex, UK
    another uk and gx1 owner here - welcome
  8. conuk

conuk New to Mu-43

Jun 22, 2012
    hey guys - thanks for the welcome and info above.
    I did manage to get out and take some shots ... yep just auto and IA mode... quite happy with what it could do.

Now Ive read up a bit more and your tips above the next photos Ill experiment more with the other modes.

At least I can now capture him.... moody or not ;)

9. conuk

conuk New to Mu-43

Jun 22, 2012
    also if I may guys - which bags are you using for your GX1.

I just have the 14-42 non zoom lens.... just want a small bag that neatly holds them and a couple of batteries.....

Actually as for the batteries is there a good alternative to the £50+ panasonic ones?
    I can see some on Amazon etc - anybody got experience of these ?
  10. michaeln

michaeln Guest

I have a GX1, 7-14mm, 14-45mm, 45-200mm lenses, external EVF, 52mm polarizer, extra memory cards and extra battery in my Think Tank Retrospective 5, and there is room for maybe one more (small) lens. It's a quality bag and pretty stealth (doesn't really look like a camera bag).

Oh, and I got the Wasabi battery from Amazon. Seems to work fine, although I guess the battery metering isn't accurate, but for the price difference I don't mind.
  11. michaeln

michaeln Guest

When I'm JWA I set it to Programmed mode and IA mode with the 14-45mm mounted and set for Large/Fine jpegs for any quick grab shots that present themselves. When I am being "serious" I shoot RAW and set it for Aperture Priority mode, and when I am doing HDRs I set it for C1 where I have all that stuff set up and use manual focus and RAW and fixed ISO, etc.

I think P with IA does a pretty nice job though, especially if you don't have time to think the shot through and do all the custom settings.
  12. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Welcome! :thumbup:

My first micro 4/3 camera is the GX1 too! I've shot the entire time in RAW as I really wanted to use lightroom to keep all my files organized and for easy processing. From everything I've seen you will get much better dynamic range out of shooting in RAW.

I've shot in A mode most of the time starting with just the 14mm pancake and the Panasonic Leica 25mm. I did quite a bit of low light shooting right off the bat and I can say this camera worked well beyond my expectations. One thing I can recommend is setting your Auto ISO to 1600 (3200 is still usable for smaller prints). I've been quite pleased with low light 1600 shots from this camera. The reason I'm emphasizing the feature is that you can keep your shutter speed fairly high most of the time.

iA mode has worked very well for me also. When I hand the camera off to my gf, it makes this camera pretty much a point and shoot!

Like michaeln, I bought a Think Tank Retrospective 5 to carry my gear in. I have the camera with the EVF, 14/25/45 primes lenses, a Minolta 50 with adapter, filters, cleaning supplies, etc. This little bag can hold a ton of stuff!
  13. DaveH

DaveH New to Mu-43

Jul 5, 2012
    Can highly recommend the Think Tank Retrospective 5. I've got exactly the same in mine with the addition of a 20mm f1.7, Cokin P Filter set and holder and I sometimes stash my iPad in the front pocket as well, although thats not ideal... Also I use the Tamrac filter puch and thats velcroed onto the side straps :)