1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Orleans in April

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by rklepper, Mar 14, 2013.

1. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    So I will be in New Orleans in early April for a week. Meetings everyday, but done fairly early each afternoon. Are there any must see attractions in New Orleans aside for the obvious ones? French quarter, Jackson square, etc...?

2. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    Interested in responses to this since I will be there a few weeks later. Have a great trip and post some pictures.
    Rich

3. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I would suggest the National World War Two Museum. Think Smithsonian but just for one subject. Also the Confederate Memorial Museum.

4. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Jazz Fest!

5. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    I should be there for opening weekend of the Jazz Fest! Looking forward to it.

6. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Unfortunately that is the end of April and I am there the beginning of April. Looks like great fun though.

7. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Both of those look great.

8. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    If you have time to do a graveyard tour or Treme tour both are worth it.

9. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom

I agree about the cemetery tours! And of course, who can forget Bourbon Street at night? Just the atmosphere/tons of people/music/lights/colors make it awesome for street shooting.

10. CeGeDee

CeGeDee Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 3, 2012
    Yorktown, VA
    Sign up for a walking tour at the Jean Lafitte National Park Office on Decatur St. There is a nice exhibit, and the tour includes a fun 20-min lecture, followed by a 40-minute walking tour. I couldn't recommend it more strongly, plus it's free!
    When you are done, walk down to the Café du Monde and get a "café au lait with baignets".
    Enjoy the N.O.L.A. conviviality!
    P1050392.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    A cemetery tour is worthwhile. When I was there about 10 years ago, there was a voodoo museum that was pretty interesting (but small) that offered a walking tour as well.

The old mint has a nice museum in it, with one section being focused on jazz.

• Like Like x 1
  12. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    You could sit at Cafe' du Monde, near the sidewalk, with a camera all day. Just gotta keep that powdered sugar off your camera!:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  13. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    i would suggest
    The National WWII Museum | New Orleans
    and the evening shows/meals are very good

but there are tons of stuff to see outside of New Orleans
    if you want some history and nature there are three parks:
    Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve - Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve

you have the french quarter and tour
    Barataria preserve across the river (car required and they may be tour bus)
    Chalmette Battlefield (car or tour bus) if you go by car stop at Rocky & Carlo's for a good meal

wildlife close by and a little of drive
    Audubon Zoo | Audubon Nature Institute (take the street car to the zoo and back)

some wild life preserve
    Bayou Sauvage National Wildlife Refuge

you also have the river boat
    Steamboat Natchez Riverboat — New Orleans Cruises, Dinner Jazz Cruises

also there are Plantation tours around
    Oak Alley Plantation: Antebellum Mansion, Historic Grounds, Restaurant & Inn
    Destrehan Plantation | Since 1787

then outside of new orleans area (Houma)
    Houma Area Convention and Visitors Bureau - TourLouisiana Travel Directory
    Houma's Official Travel Site

• Like Like x 1
  14. bmorena

bmorena Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 22, 2013
    You can go to Frenchman street for a taste of real nola music. Just get out of the cab and walk till you like what you hear

15. Angelo Brocato's Spumoni!

Angelo Brocato's Italian Ice Cream & Italian Desserts: Home Page
    Angelo Brocato's Italian Ice Cream & Italian Desserts: Home Page
    New Orleans ice cream parlour serves Italian ice cream and desserts based on Sicilian family recipes from the early 1900's. Products, prices and fax order form ...
    Zagat: 28 / 30
    · 616 Google reviews · Write a review
    214 N Carrollton Ave New Orleans, LA 70119
    (504) 486-1465

16. shiaokun

shiaokun Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 4, 2011
    at the end of Canal Street you can take the FREE ferry to Algiers. it's a short ride as it just crosses the Mississippi River. Algiers provides some very interesting architecture:
    Architecture of Algiers Point
    it's a nice "escape" from the packed French Quarter. grab some food from the Dry Dock Cafe by the ferry (on the Algiers side) and then walk the levee and take some shots of NO from across the river.

i would also recommend the ferry to Gretna as it sails under the Greater New Orleans Bridge. unfortunately it's closed as of now...
    La DOTD - Ferry Status
    check it again before you head for NO. in the evening the bridge lights up and it's quite a sight from the ferry boat.

17. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    the tolls just tossed so they are talking about pulling the plug on the lights

18. Best and safest to do any NOLA graveyard tour with a tour group.

19. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    The French Quarter music fest in early April(check for the dates) is all over the streets of the quarter and ,I think is better than the Jazz festival.It's FREE!
    Check out the Marigny district next to the quarter for great clubs and restaurants.This is what the quarter was like twenty years ago before it went drunk crazy.
    The coolest local scene is Rock'nbowl,a fifties bowling alley that serves the best gumbo in town and hosts the best zydeco bands.When the band kicks in,the place parties down,bowlers dancing in the lanes and farmers in overalls two steppin.

20. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    :2thumbs: Rock'n bowl rules:2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1