1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New Oregon member

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by mlwebb, Apr 3, 2010.

1. mlwebb

mlwebb Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 3, 2010
    Monroe, Or
    Hi folks,
    I live in mid Willamette Valley in Oregon. After reading reviews and forum posts for a few weeks relative to micro 4/3, today I ordered a black E-PL1 through my local camera store - as a new model they're the same price all over, so I figured the local guy could probably use my business.

I enjoy fly fishing and fly tying, and photographing flies is one of the things I intend to use the new camera for. Some fly's are pretty darn small, so dpreviews comments about the kit 14-42mm lens macro performance were encouraging. I am looking for a good deal on an EX-25 extension, and next time I am feeling flush (a rare and usually very temporary experience), the 50mm f2 macro.

I also plan to take the E-PL1 along fishing (though not in the water:smile:. A few weeks ago I was scouting a local creek looking for winter steelhead when an otter popped his head up and started to scold me for intruding, a second later his mate's head appeared and joined him. I assume they had pups nearby - would have made a very nice little video clip - it was a beautiful spot, but only one you can get if you have a camera on you - mine was in the car. I considered a p/s waterproof for a while - like the panasonic dmc-ts1, but once I ran into the micro 4/3 idea, I wanted one. I took my time and considered the pro's and con's of each camera, and the E-PL1 won (barely, with or without cost difference). If I could have got the GF1 screen on the E-P2 body with the E-PL1 features and flash, I would have been a happy man, but such is life.:rolleyes: 

The option of fitting other lenses via adapters is interesting (I like d.i.y. projects) and have an old Nikkor 55mm 1.2 sitting around gathering dust that might be a fun experiment.
    regards,
    Michael

2. Joe

Joe Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    Portland Oregon USA
    Hi Mike and welcome, I live up Portland way, nice to see another oregonian.

3. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Welcome Michael!

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Hello and welcome aboard Michael - I would have loved to have seen those otters!

Congratulations on your new E-PL1! I think you'll find yourself pretty comfortable here.:smile:

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Michael. This is a great spot to share and learn about your new camera.

6. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Welcome Michael......you found the right place....

7. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
  8. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Welcome Michael ! I'm glad you made it to here, plse take a seat !

9. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Welcome Michael and congrats on the new purchase - you will become addicted!

10. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

Welcome!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.