New Oregon member

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by mlwebb, Apr 3, 2010.

1. mlwebb

mlwebb Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 3, 2010
    Monroe, Or
    Hi folks,
    I live in mid Willamette Valley in Oregon. After reading reviews and forum posts for a few weeks relative to micro 4/3, today I ordered a black E-PL1 through my local camera store - as a new model they're the same price all over, so I figured the local guy could probably use my business.

I enjoy fly fishing and fly tying, and photographing flies is one of the things I intend to use the new camera for. Some fly's are pretty darn small, so dpreviews comments about the kit 14-42mm lens macro performance were encouraging. I am looking for a good deal on an EX-25 extension, and next time I am feeling flush (a rare and usually very temporary experience), the 50mm f2 macro.

I also plan to take the E-PL1 along fishing (though not in the water:smile:. A few weeks ago I was scouting a local creek looking for winter steelhead when an otter popped his head up and started to scold me for intruding, a second later his mate's head appeared and joined him. I assume they had pups nearby - would have made a very nice little video clip - it was a beautiful spot, but only one you can get if you have a camera on you - mine was in the car. I considered a p/s waterproof for a while - like the panasonic dmc-ts1, but once I ran into the micro 4/3 idea, I wanted one. I took my time and considered the pro's and con's of each camera, and the E-PL1 won (barely, with or without cost difference). If I could have got the GF1 screen on the E-P2 body with the E-PL1 features and flash, I would have been a happy man, but such is life.:rolleyes:

The option of fitting other lenses via adapters is interesting (I like d.i.y. projects) and have an old Nikkor 55mm 1.2 sitting around gathering dust that might be a fun experiment.
  2. Joe

Joe Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    Portland Oregon USA
    Hi Mike and welcome, I live up Portland way, nice to see another oregonian.
  3. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Welcome Michael!
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Hello and welcome aboard Michael - I would have loved to have seen those otters!

Congratulations on your new E-PL1! I think you'll find yourself pretty comfortable here.:smile:
  5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Michael. This is a great spot to share and learn about your new camera.
  6. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Welcome found the right place....
  7. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Welcome Michael ! I'm glad you made it to here, plse take a seat !
  8. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Welcome Michael and congrats on the new purchase - you will become addicted!
  9. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran