New OMD user - what are some recommended accessories?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Tapper, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Hey everyone,

My first post here. :)

After a ton of reading up, I ordered an OMD EM5 (with 12-50, 60 macro, and both 17mm f2.8 and f1.8 (I will pick one and send one back, need to try in real life)). Will get $300 in rebates from Olympus for the two lenses, which is nice, and the OMD kit was $1200, not bad.

Any recommended accessories? I'm completely new to MFT and OMD.

Cases, bags, grips, filters, hoods etc.? I'm fond of cheap but good quality stuff from eBay, but like to see what others have experienced first. So if there are any great OMD accessory items you found for good prices, go ahead and brag about it to me (and give me a link!).
  2. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    FL600R flash is very good for your set, currently oly has $50 rebate for it.
  3. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    I already have the FL-36R flash...getting the OM-D...will it work fine?
  4. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
  5. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I think you should mostly let need be your guide. I'd say a second battery is among the first accessories. A bag you like. I think a good tripod with ball head is terrific. But that depends on what you shoot. Probably worthless for street photography and priceless for nature photography. Things like polarizing filters, ND filters, etc., are also very subject specific. I always like a good comfortable neck strap.
  6. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Spare batteries and Lens hoods
  7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011

It sorta depends on what you shoot. But here's a start of some nifty stuff:

1) Battery Grip;
    2) Extra Batteries;
    3) P7-14;
    4) P35-100;
    5) P100-300;
    6) O75mm;
    7) Extra eyecups (they fall off).
  8. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    It's Tapper. ... and you forgot to add the extra OM-D body. :biggrin:
  9. asparkes

asparkes Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 1, 2012
    I added three extra batteries, Gordy wrist strap (can't see the sense in a neck strap for a camera this small?), a Leather Explorer half case with metal bottom and I put them all in the very well priced Lowe Pro Event Messanger 150. Hope that's helpful?
  10. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Yeah, a wrist strap sounds useful. I have a neck strap on my NEX and it does seem a bit much.

Thanks everyone, I will check out some of these recommendations. I have about 2 weeks to get a handle on the OMD and lenses for an upcoming trip. :)
  11. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    A polarizing filter could come in handy for outdoor shots on your trip (less glare off surfaces, bluer skies, etc). One thing some people do is buy one for their largest lens (in terms of filter size) and then use step-up rings to mount it on their other lenses. B+W is a good brand.
  12. AerialFilm1

AerialFilm1 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2012
    Wekiva, Florida
    Comfortable shoes..Ya need to get up and go to where the pictures are. Otherwise a JB grip is a worthy inexpensive addition.
    For the best bang for your buck, pick up a Fotodiox adapter or three, and have fun with legacy lenses.
  13. BigSky1

BigSky1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Helena, Montana

If you are shooting landscapes I would definitely get a circular polarizing filter. Depending on what you shoot - a tripod would be a good idea.
  14. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    A free-bee, if you haven't already enabled it -

Super Control Panel (often referred too as SCP)

It'll make a world of difference :)
  15. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mat - MirrorLessons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2013
    I would say an extra battery, and the battery grip. If you have big hands, it will help you a lot to hold easier your camera.
  16. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I like the HLD6 battery grip. Makes the camera very handy and more ergonomic!
  17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Opps, sorry Tapper. I actually thought about a second body ... but you know ... small bites ... one thing at a time. lol

18. mussomusso

mussomusso Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2012
    Riva Del Garda
    Linear polarizer will work just fine and is a lot cheaper:thumbup:
    • Like Like x 1
  19. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    For me (in addition to OMD with 17/45/75 1.8s):

A lightweight wrist strap
    A really fast 16gb SD card
    Two extra batteries
    JLM grip
    iPad mini with LTE and SD reader
    ONA Bowery bag that nicely fits all the above
  20. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    A wired shutter release is pretty cheap and comes in handy when you're using a tripod or resting the camera somewhere. I always keep mine in the bag.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2