New OMD owner with prime lens question...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by marlon671, Jan 17, 2013.

1. marlon671

marlon671 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Hi. First of all, I wanted to say how much I liked my epm1. Now with the omd, totally obsessed with it! Its paired up with the panny 14/2.5 and this combination is awesome!

My question is, what prime lens would u recommend for church photos? My step aim is receiving his first holy communion in a few months and I wanna capture some nice pictures. Ill probably want to be about 20-30ish ft away from the altar. With the 14mm I would be standing at the altar to get the shots I want. Lol. Its not the brightest in light in church and I dont shoot with flash either. I was thinking getting the oly 45mm f1.8 should do the trick as it also fits my budget... the panny 25mm f1.4 also sounds good but I dont wanna miss shots from the slow af ive been reading about. I also feel I have to be somewhat close to the altar with the 25mm.

What are your thoughts and suggestions?

2. hydro

hydro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Randy Hyde
    How about the 75? Pricey, but...

3. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    At 20-30 feet you won't get a lot of people-detail with the 45mm. You'd need at least the 75mm. But if you can get closer, the 45 is much cheaper. :)

(The 25 is not slow to focus at all; did you mean the 20?)

4. marlon671

marlon671 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Oh yea. I meant 20.. I have so much lenses on my want list. Lol. The 75mm would do the job. But I feel id get the most use out of the 45mm.

5. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    From that far away you need at-least the 75mm f/1.8.... but price is a factor there for sure.

If you can maybe manage to move in to about 10 feet or so then the 45mm f/1.8 ought to do you fine and its heck of a lot cheaper.

6. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    The 25/1.4 is the best event lens (especially with minimal ambient light) IMHO but you'd have to be pretty close for it. It has a normal FOV so what you see with your own eyes is pretty much what you'll fit in the frame. It's the 20/1.7 which is slow because the AF hunts with less than optimal lighting -- you'll probably miss the focus in a good number of your shots.

The 45/1.8 is good. You can stand 5-7 feet away and get half body shots with excellent background separation.

But if you want to be able to stand back (maybe shooting at the altar from the first row of pews), you need to splurge with 75/1.8. Very fast, tack sharp wide-open.

7. marlon671

marlon671 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Seems 75mm is the solution. I shall sleep on the $$$ price tag on my mind. Maybe when I wake up ill decide to use "bill me later"... 6 months to pay with no interest.. might be a bit easier on the wallet to stretch out the $899 price tag.

8. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Maybe you could rent it! Or buy and return. Amazon would do that and would cost you a few dollars in shipping only. Of course, the danger would be in the severe GAS attack that can befall the unwitting!

9. marlon671

marlon671 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    This event kinda gives me a reason to buy another lens. =)

10. Photo-Op

Photo-Op Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 10, 2013
    WI
    I have the 20mm (Panasonic) 1.7 its nice but a tad slower than I would like it to be especially in low light, takes good pictures but doesn't focus as fast. Now the new Panasonic 12-35mm is one sweet lens but very pricey, I use it with the OMD and the GH3.

11. marlon671

marlon671 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Very nice and pricey indeed!

12. Hudsonhites

Hudsonhites Mu-43 Regular

Jul 14, 2011
    NYC
  13. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    If 2.8 is fast enough light wise for the inside of your church, the 35-100 is a great solution. It would allow you to get a wider variety of shots without moving around as much. I have the equivalent lens for my Canon gear (70-200 2.8) and other than the size (it's pretty big), it is my favorite lens. It is pricey, but if it quality is similar to that of a Canon or Nikon 70-200 2.8, it is not a bad deal because it is cheaper than either of those by a good bit.

So, I might go into the church and see what kind of shutter speeds I could get with a lens I already had set at 2.8. If you can get a shutter speed sufficient for the movement involved, and I could afford it, and I didn't mind the size of the lens, I'd get the 35-100. If 2.8 is not bright enough, or the money just wasn't there, or the lens was bigger than I would use, then I'd go for the 75. If I couldn't swing the 75, I'd get as close as I could with the 45 or rent the 35-100 or 75.

Just my .02

14. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    before putting any cash out, check with the program director on what will be the policy for taking pictures during mass and at communion time. Most pastors desire to maintain the solemnity of the occasion and not have a photography circus. you want to see if they will have each child go up, one at a time to allow for photography by a family member. at our parish the children come up one at a time and single photographer takes all pictures during mass of all the children.

depending up the church, old vs modern, the lighting may be an issue - figure ISO from 400 on up. you should consider renting the 75 and the 35-100.

frank

15. hydro

hydro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Randy Hyde
    Just be sure not to add any other items on the Bill Me Later. They don't provide the 6 months offer on each item, just on the total balance of your purchases. I've used BML to purchase several items (one purchase at a time), including my OMD E-M5, and it has worked out well for me.

16. marlon671

marlon671 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Yea I was gonna pay off my first purchase (om-d body) then purchase the lens. Having available credit is so tempting. Haha.

17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    If I could only take one lens to the event, it would be the P35-100.

If it had to be a prime, then unquestionably the 75mm. For this event, as you would want to keep foot zooming to a minimum, (it's a church after all), the P35-100 wins hands down.

Gary

18. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Amen to that. Reinforce that you will be:

1) shooting sans flash;
    2) shooting from a distance;
    3) shooting with a very quiet camera; and
    4) you're up to date with your envelopes.

Gary

19. marlon671

marlon671 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    They had a practice mass and I took sample shots with the panny 14/2.5, max iso set to 800 and the pictures turned out better than I expected. I just dont want to stand so close that I might as well wear a photog vest and a press pass. Lol.

My thoughts are, im not buying this lens just for this one occasion but also to start my little prime collection. Ive narrowed it down to 2 lenses. Either I suck it up and be a bit closer than what I wanted and purchase the outstanding panny 25/1.4 or stand a bit further back and opt for the oly 45/1.8. I just feel that 14mm and 25mm is not too big of a difference (focal length wise) to justify purchase over the 45mm...
    But ive always wanted a 50mm equivalent.

Which to buy first?! Decisions, decisions....

20. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    With the PL25 you'll be four to six steps back from the P14mm for the same framing (FOV). Did you fill the frame with the P14mm? Is that position okay with the pastor? You won't have a problem IQ-wise at ISO 1600. What about the competition, i.e. others with cameras ... will the PL25mm give you enough flex-ability to shoot around/through all the camera phones and kit lens dSLR's?