New OMD E-M10 Owner

HaViet

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi guys, I am back with an E-M10. After selling off my EPM2 earlier this year and switched to Pentax, I just sold of my Pentax kit and got myself an E-M10. I do really missed this forum :tongue:

The camera is scheduled to be deliver tomorrow, perfect timing since I'll be attending a USA soccer match later in the day so I'll give it a spin at the stadium.

First, a few questions.

1) What are the settings I should make with the E-M10 to ensure I got it set up properly for my first outings?

2) Where do you get screen protectors for your E-M10? This product seems have good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Solution-Anti-Fingerprint-Oleophobic-PGOLYMOMDEM-B/dp/B00F9ZE3VI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1412897619&sr=1-1&keywords=olympus+e-m10+screen+protector

Thanks

Theo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Theo K.
JJC screen protector fits and works great on mine.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Hi and welcome back,

1. Go to biofos.com and look at their guide and spreadsheet for the E-M1. The E-M10 should be very similar.
http://biofos.com/mft/omd_em1_settings.html

2. I got a 2-pack of screen protectors at a camera store but the first one got bubbles quickly so I replaced it; then that one started peeling after a couple months.

I'd had Zagg InvisibleShield protectors on my phone before with no problem, so I went to a mall that had their booth and got it installed for about $20; been good so far. I should have done that in the first place but they had closed the one closest to me.

Barry

HaViet

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks guys. A few more questions;.

1) How do you check shutter actuation on the camera?

2) Something is a little weird, when I half press on the shutter, I hear some static sound. It's like the microphone is on or something. Is this normal? How do I turn it off?

3) How do I activate multipe points focusing, instead of single point? I suppose this is prefer when taking grou photos?

Thanks

sammykhalifa

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Neil
Really? Thanks, but that's a little strange. I never heard this sound with my EPM2 previously.
It surprised/worried me at first too, but you get used to it. Sometimes it's louder than others, though I'm not sure why.

I just picked up the EM10 a few months ago and am loving it so far.

HaViet

Mu-43 Veteran
Ok. I guess I will try to get use to it.

Btw, do you know how to activate multi points focusing?

sammykhalifa

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Neil
Trying to remember off the top of my head, but do you have the "Super Control Panel" set up yet? If not you can click the button up on the side of the viewfinder.

In there, You should see the option for choosing your focus "box" and style--near the bottom left of the screen. I think you can touch it but I usually just navigate down with the arrows.

HaViet

Mu-43 Veteran
Looking through my previous photos, I tend to take lots of group pictures (family, friends, etc.)

Any tips on shooting group photos with the E-M10?

Thanks

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Group photos...
Focus on the middle of the group (or 1/3 in for a very large group), depth-wise.

Use Aperture Priority mode, and stop down the aperture enough (depends on focal length, but try f5.6-8 for a non-tele lens) so that everyone is in focus. Take a test pic and check focus, especially on eyes.

If there is something in the background that you want in focus, you may have to stop down more.
Barry

HaViet

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks Barry. I almost always use A mode and Single Focus point exclusively. Perhaps I haven't stop down low enough, since the few people in the center of the photos are focused, but those to the sides seem a bit out of focus.

I'll try your suggestion.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom