New omd E-M1 ii

c0ldc0ne

Mu-43 Regular
When I hold my E-M1 Mark II for the first time in store (yesterday) I played with it and asked if the shutter button was okay. It's totally different than all other Olympus MFT camera's I had before. I will get used to it, but it is indeed different.

I assume you bought it then? Still on the fence myself. Also coming from an E-M5 II (and a PEN-F).

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Congratulations on the 'new' camera, BN.

Odd that my E-M1 MkI allows auto ISO settings up to 25,600, but my E-M1 MkII (as you say) is limited to 6400.

I can see the logic. With the E-M1 MkII, ISO 6400 will give pretty acceptable results in all but pitch black conditions. Above this, you really have to know what you are about to get usable results.

The range from ISO 200 to 6400 is also the 'native' ISO range of both sensors.
I think the Auto ISO limit of 6400 was a sensible move. Too often a feature might be available, but some over expect the results from an allowable extreme setting, so I think Olympus played safe here then if going above, it has to be a deliberate move in Manual ISO instead.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I think the Auto ISO limit of 6400 was a sensible move. Too often a feature might be available, but some over expect the results from an allowable extreme setting, so I think Olympus played safe here then if going above, it has to be a deliberate move in Manual ISO instead.

The default could be 6400, but I would rather have the option to set MY upper limit.
In a pro level camera like the EM1, let the photographer set his own limits.

This cap is like the Sport scene mode on the Nikon D5600 and Canon T5/T7. The auto ISO is capped at 3200 for the D5600 and 3200/6400 for the T5/T7, so the camera is effectively a day-time camera. The parent that wants to shoot their kid in a high school night game or in the gym, cannot use the Sports scene mode, they have to use PSAM.

I assume you bought it then? Still on the fence myself. Also coming from an E-M5 II (and a PEN-F).
Don't have experience with the PEN-F.
I consider this camera as a big upgrade from the E-M5 II.
Most of the time with the E-M5 I had the optional grip to comfortably use the 12-40. So for me it isn't much bigger. It feels great in the hand and feels blazing fast.
Already used it for a family shoot and it worked out really well (at least, the persons on the photo where happy with it.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The default could be 6400, but I would rather have the option to set MY upper limit.
In a pro level camera like the EM1, let the photographer set his own limits.

This cap is like the Sport scene mode on the Nikon D5600 and Canon T5/T7. The auto ISO is capped at 3200 for the D5600 and 3200/6400 for the T5/T7, so the camera is effectively a day-time camera. The parent that wants to shoot their kid in a high school night game or in the gym, cannot use the Sports scene mode, they have to use PSAM.

BTW, this is the problem that I have at my local high school.
I have to deal with yearbook students who don't want to shoot in anything but sport mode. PSAM is too hard for most of them.
So in sports mode with a slow variable aperture lens at night, at ISO 3200, the shutter speed is down so low that most of the pictures are blurred. :(

c0ldc0ne

Mu-43 Regular
I consider this camera as a big upgrade from the E-M5 II.
Most of the time with the E-M5 I had the optional grip to comfortably use the 12-40. So for me it isn't much bigger. It feels great in the hand and feels blazing fast.

I'm not a fan of add-on grips as they invariably feel and function as an afterthought that never integrates well with the ergonomics and control layout of the camera (personal opinion of course).

But I do have the same issue when using the larger pro lenses (7-14, 12-40 & 40-150) with the E-M5, which is one of the reasons I'm considering the upgrade. I'd keep the PEN-F for my small primes, which I generally use for a different style of photography anyway.

Tread-Lite

Mu-43 Rookie
I have also been tempted by Z5 but looked at my lenses, did the math and realized that replacing M43 would be way too expensive, so I pulled the trigger a couple of weeks ago and upgraded from EM5 II to EM1 II with 1600 actuations for 1100 CAD. I do miss the size and weight of EM5 II and how stylish and unobtrusive it was with primes but I tend to use PRO lenses when hiking and, due to the grip, EM1 II handles way better with those. Added battery life, direct controls, track pad are also welcome, though I would much prefer a joystick. The biggest improvement from EM5 II is, no doubt, AF. If, down the road, I find EM1 II too chunky I can always replace it with EM5 III. I totally concur with the other posters that size matters when it comes to casual photography and most of my friends tend to keep their FF gear on a shelf, whereas I don't leave the house without M43.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
I have also been tempted by Z5 but looked at my lenses, did the math and realized that replacing M43 would be way too expensive, so I pulled the trigger a couple of weeks ago and upgraded from EM5 II to EM1 II with 1600 actuations for 1100 CAD. I do miss the size and weight of EM5 II and how stylish and unobtrusive it was with primes but I tend to use PRO lenses when hiking and, due to the grip, EM1 II handles way better with those. Added battery life, direct controls, track pad are also welcome, though I would much prefer a joystick. The biggest improvement from EM5 II is, no doubt, AF. If, down the road, I find EM1 II too chunky I can always replace it with EM5 III. I totally concur with the other posters that size matters when it comes to casual photography and most of my friends tend to keep their FF gear on a shelf, whereas I don't leave the house without M43.
Congratulations on the new camera. Enjoy.

And :Welcome: to the forum with your first post. Subscribe for next to nothing and get rid of the advertising and gain the EXIF data under each image.

Tread-Lite

Mu-43 Rookie
Congratulations on the new camera. Enjoy.

And :Welcome: to the forum with your first post. Subscribe for next to nothing and get rid of the advertising and gain the EXIF data under each image.
Thank you so much! I have been lurking here for quite a while. Unlike DPR the community here is much more respectful and helpful.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom