New OM-D soon?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mu4stevie, Jan 30, 2013.

1. mu4stevie

mu4stevie New to Mu-43

Oct 15, 2012
    Do you think there is a new OM-D due soon? The current version has been a great success and is now approaching it's 1 year birthday.

I have read rumors of an impending Olympus product release, though there are always rumors it seems.

Others have said the next OM-D will be larger, with the possibility of a smaller less featured RF style OM-D below it.

As someone looking to pull the trigger on one of these, is it worth waiting?

I'm in no rush, but Olympus' offer of a free 45mm lens runs out tomorrow...
  2. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    It seems unlikely there would be an RF version of the OM-D. I would expect all OM-Ds will follow the OM styling.

I do know, though, that Olympus has been promising a higher level body that would bring functionality to 4/3 lenses back...though whether they can deliver on that promise is another question...
  3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    The rumor of the new "rangerfinder-looking" camera with built-in viewfinder is not about an OMD. It is about a new PEN. I'm pretty stoked to see what it will look like. I wonder if they will make the body a little bigger to find a place to stash the 5 way IBIS mechanism.
  4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    For sure Olympus will probably be using Epson's new high res EVF tech. Possible integration of on-chip PDAF, sensor performance will probably be tweaked and handling improved. We'll probably see a new adapter that will fully utilize standard 4/3rd lenses and see the end of the E-system line. A Pen E-P5 seems eminent with integrated EVF. Not sure if it will have 5-axis IBIS, but it could have a lesser version, but retain the IS via the EVF function. Just my predictions!
  5. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Drooling ...
  6. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
  7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
  8. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Keep in mind that all we *know* (as far as I can tell) is that Olympus is coming up with a "pro" body and better support for 4/3 lenses. There will also be an E-P3 replacement. We don't know when it's coming, or what that next PEN will include (I too am drooling over the thought of what the E-P5 might add to the top-line PEN).

If you're in the market for a camera now, I'd go with what's available and start shooting! If you decide to sell the body later, perhaps consider the additional expense a "rental" fee for those months?
  9. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    43Rumors talks a lot about an announcement in march but rumors are what they are... rumors.

My guess is we will see a replacement for the PEN and another OM-D before the end of the year. My decision to go full time with micro-4/3 and sell my Canon gear will depend on what will be the next OM-D.
  10. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I'm definitely interested in what Olympus comes out with in the next few months. The recent thread about the decision as to whether or not to move to m43 exclusively from FF Canon-gear has me rethinking (yet again) my own feelings on the subject and I'm considering it again. After handling an E-M5 again today, I'm starting to feel that it could fit the bill if I'm really honest with myself about what my shooting needs really are, and not what I let online message boards and corporate marketing people tell me they should be. A rangefinder style body with a built-in EVF, focus peaking for MF lenses (either in that new PEN or as a firmware update to the E-M5), 5-axis IS and perhaps more manual control over video parameters could see me putting my 5DII and EF lenses up for sale.
  11. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I'm quite content with my E-M5 and E-P3, even if they offered some new uber OMD line, I wouldn't be in much of a hurry to upgrade, until the E-M5 I own explodes, I just find my E-M5 to be for me the best camera I've owned, and that includes my Canon's, it might just be because I have gotten old and a bit senile YMMV :p
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Bravin Neff
    What's everyone's take that if a new OM-D brings greater native functionality with 4/3 lenses, that this will precipitate a run on used 4/3 lenses? Or at least increase demand?

I'd hate to watch KEH 4/3 lenses skyrocket without having gotten some good ones first!