1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New OM-D ....some lens recommendations?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mussomusso, Feb 19, 2013.

1. mussomusso

mussomusso Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2012
    Riva Del Garda
    Hi all

I have just ordered an OM-D to replace a GH-2.

I do not shoot video and stills quality is paramount.

I shoot mostly landscapes and nature.

I already own the Panny 14-140 and 100-300 lenses as well as a Samyang 7.5mm fisheye

Should I keep the 14-140 above or should I go for the Olympus 12-50 kit lens which is a bit wider than the 14-140 Panny and is weather sealed?

I do like the 100-300 and will probably keep it.

The Samyang 7.5mm is a keeper!

Should I consider some primes or maybe the 12-35 f/2.8 Panny?

In the wide angle category 7-14 Panny or 9-18mm Olympus?

I know a lot of these questions have been asked numerous times...there is no quick answer but I really do need some guidelines before I make the next investment in glass.

Thanks

2. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    As a wide-angle freak (I do a lot of old church interiors and landscapes), I can recommend the 9-18. I did have the 7-14, but (for me) the 'purple blotch' problem, which seems to be specific to the E-M5, was insurmountable. Add to that the fact that the 9-18 takes filters and is a useful 'always on' focal length for narrow european old towns and churches.

Imho, the P20 for low light and the O45 are 'must-haves' - absolutely marvellous value for money. If you don't mind f/2.8, the Sigma 19/30 pair are hard to beat, very good IQ.

3. mussomusso

mussomusso Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2012
    Riva Del Garda
    I wonder how a 10-24mm Nikon DX lens on a Nikon adapter will do for landscapes?

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Agree with all of this, though I would suggest the 25mm over the 20mm. It's faster and produces beautiful IQ. Couple the fast lens with the image stabilization of the EM-5 and you will rarely need flash. :cool: 

5. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Bob, you're right (as always!), but the one advantage the 20 has over the 25 is the value-for-money aspect. Depending on what you shoot, the different focal lengths may make a difference too.

Personally, I prefer 35mm equivalent, but I have my X100 for that :) 

• Like Like x 1
  6. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Thomas
    If still pix IQ is very important then you may stay away from 12-50. It is a bit soft. I got it instead of 14-150, for weather seal, but I can def tell degradation of details compared to 14-150.

7. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    For landscapes - Oly 9-18, which I chose over the Pan 7-14 based on it's ability to take filters, smaller size, cheaper price. Sometimes can be had for $599/new if you keep your eyes open. I've been happy with this lens, it's pretty sharp for my needs.

The Pan 20 is a great walk about lens too - small, sharp and fast.

8. mussomusso

mussomusso Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2012
    Riva Del Garda
    Has anyone tried the Nikon 10-24mm DX lens on a MFT camera using an adapter?

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    The 20mm really has become a bargain with used prices dropping as people start buying the new Oly 17mm. :cool: 

10. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Interesting. I have both and can't really tell the difference. I use the 14-150 more often just because of the range, but the 12-50 is useful for weather sealing, faux "macro", and electronic zoom which is great for video.

11. C6REW

C6REW Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Devizes, Wiltshire, UK
    Chris Grew
    As a Nikon D3X user my two favourite lenses for landscapes are the 24 - 70 f2.8 and the 70 - 200 f2.8.

So it is no surprise that I bought the 12 - 35 and 35 - 100 both obviously f2.8 for the OMD. To me this gives the full range necessary for landscapes.

With respect to using an adapter and putting on 'normal' Nikon lenses, I don't recommend it. I bought the Nikon V1 and adapter. Tried all of my lenses including the 200 - 400! It totally took away the point of the V1 or in this case the OMD. That is of course it's versatility and portability.

Best regards

Chris

12. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I wished in the beginning that I would have checked into the value lenses mentioned here. For all I know, I might have been satisfied with them and not gone on to the ones that I presently own. The recent $99.00 40-150R was an eye-opener. I could have put together a small yet able lens kit for under $800.00 and had room in the camera bag to spare from each a diminutive size.

13. Wizard Steve

Wizard Steve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Provence, France
    David Ricketts
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.