1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New OM-D release

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Imjinman, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Imjinman

Imjinman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2011
    Sydney
    My local retailer in Sydney told me that Olympus are releasing another version of the OM-D in a couple of weeks. He didn't know any other details.
    Anyone else heard this?

2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think that would have to be news to us all. Maybe he is going on a rumour of a rumor. :wink:

3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    There's lots of rumours goingaround right now, including a new FourThirds coming. Maybe the new camera will be a combination of both formats.

4. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Photokina is a couple of weeks away.

5. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
  6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    If they do it will drive down prices of the OM-D, just like all of the other releases have dropped the price of previous models. I never expected to be able to afford an E-P3 as quickly as I did this past year. Good news for those of us who buy a step or two down from the newest model bad news for those trying to get resale value from cameras they purchased at release. It's a bit surprising how quickly :43: bodies are being released. :rolleyes:

7. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    I think I've read that rumor since a few weeks ago already, that they're going to release a pro-level OM-D in Q1 2013. Isn't it supposed to be able to natively use m43 and 43 lenses?

8. DigitalDave

DigitalDave Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 5, 2012
    I find that difficult to imagine.

9. btango05

btango05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Lathrop CA
    Cool! I would love another om-d!If it can be had for what E-P2 costs:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Just hope they get the battery situation resolved before they release another OM-D...they're losing money on the clone sales since people can't buy originals.

11. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    With the rumors stating that the "Pro Level OM-D" being released within a year of the EM-5 release, I'm guessing that the new OM-D is probably the same thing as the new 4/3 body rumor. Probably a larger DSLR style body with phase detect and the ability to use m43 and 43 natively.

12. c_henry

c_henry Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    I don't understand what "pro level" is. I thought the OM-D had a whole bunch of "pro" features, not sure what else they could add, except maybe better C-AF.

I think a lot of this is coming from m43rumours who are probably trying to generate hype to get more hits (which is fine), they had this yesterday about the GH3:

"And very likely the first camera that can be considered as “pro” level camera."

I'm assuming he meant first m43 camera, but even so, I'm not sure that the specs he has in his rumour make it anymore "pro" than the OM-D, except it may be bigger!

Colin

13. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    According to Oly, the E-M5 isn't pro. I believe, outside of maybe a couple of build items (shutter life?), that it isn't tied to pro support, so they aren't calling it a pro camera. When they tie it into that, it will be a pro camera.

• Like Like x 1
  14. c_henry

c_henry Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    That makes more sense, thanks!

15. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

I hope Olympus makes a better job of the 'pro support' than they did with the E-1. I was an early adopter with two E-1 bodies and eventually five Digital Zuiko lenses. The "pro support" from Olympus Europe was non-existent and I quickly sold the gear at a big loss and went to Canon, whose support was phenomenal and still is.

16. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

As I was joking earlier, a lot of this is based on a rumour of a rumor which was formed from a comment from Akira Watanabe which, I believe, was intended to mean a particular thing & was probably re-interpreted to mean something else & the rumours (& rumors) have kept on rolling from there.

17. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    All this has been discussed extensively here: what features would make the EM-5 a "more pro camera" (sic!) as well as the matter of FT legacy lenses support.

The former discussion reads for the most part as a "let's make the perfect all-around camera" competition. There will always be a subjective matter. In fact, I both opened a relevant thread and posted on my blog about such a camera, and I have to admit, to make a feature list is the most difficult thing in the world.

Native (i.e. by use of new type of adapter and/or highly efficient PD-AF technology on sensor) for FT lenses, is the most clever thing Olympus could possibly implement. Let's face it: even if they had the resources and drive to port all the important FT lenses to :43: (and we are talking possibly 4 to 7 lenses here, that have no real equivalent in the :43: native collection), it would take them at least a year. Perhaps close to two years.

By providing an interim -but solid- solution they could (a) continue to sell a number of FT lenses to the :43: crowd, (b) give existing FT customers (whatever's left, anyway) a safe passage to :43: and (c) buy valuable time for R&D and resource management.

I don't know if my logic is flawed in any way, but I fail to see any fault in such a marketing decision.