New OM-D owner accessories?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Olyphotographer, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Olyphotographer

Olyphotographer Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 18, 2012
    Kuala Lumpur
    Since I just switched from a G12 to the OM-D beyond lenses what are some useful accessories you found?
    I am interested in general landscape photography and some macro. Anyone tried the Macro Arm Light from Olympus that look like tentacles?
    I have the 60mm Macro lens on order now should arrive by Friday. So ready for the weekend for some macro shots.

2. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
  3. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    If I would have to look over all of my accessories for my OMD, I would have to say that my remote control is my most used item after my Induro tripod. I have to remove the batteries so I keep everything in a small plastic bag. RainbowImaging 100 Meter 2.4GHz Wireless Remote Shutter Release for Olympus on Amazon, it is about $27.00.

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    3rd party charger and extra batteries.

5. uberjuan

uberjuan New to Mu-43

May 7, 2011
    i agree with the wrist strap, I used a gordy's for awhile and really liked it.

Now i have the Voigtlander cloth strap on it..just to mix things up.

6. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing

Anything wrong with the original charger? Though extra batteries, always a plus.

I always keep a spare battery and SD card in that 'tiny' jeans pocket, because you never know when you'll need either (and I got a big 32GB card, but I keep the spare 16GB cuz you never know if the card starts to fail, best to switch it out rather than messing with it out on a shoot).

7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

3rd party batteries won't charge in the original charger.

My advice, put your name on every waiting list at local and online store for the original. I got two in about 2 months.

My other advice.... just go out and shoot. You'll know what you need rather than just buying stuff you might not need.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Omega

Omega Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    Good shoes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    OEM batteries are shipping now. I picked one up a month ago.

10. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing

Must be OM-D specific then, because they charge just fine in my E-P3's charger which are BLS-1 which don't have that 4th "chipped" contact like the BLS-5 batteries, however there are some third party batteries for those that will charge all the same now too.

I just know that my BCS-1 charger that came with my E-P3 will charge both the Power2000 and Flashpoint 3rd party batteries just fine.

11. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    The macro arm light is crap (the two LEDs, if thats what ur taking about) afaik. Get urself a good bounce flash unit, the fl-600r is what i have. Powerful for its size, and recycles fast. If your into macro, it works really well. Add a softbox like lumiquest ii, and your ready to take some nice macros. I dont even have a macro bracket, but i get shadowless macro...if i desire..with my flash and softbox. If you later decide to get a bracket, you can control the flash wihtout TTL wires with the OMD clip on flash.

I vote for the gordys strap as well.

A good screen protector is nice too have too.

I have non-OEM batteries coming my way from an ebay seller located in Temple, CA. These batteries are presumably half-decoded, so your battery life indicator on the OMD works. Not sure if thats the case with other 3rd party batteries.

Enjoy your new system. Im hoping to buy the 60 macro too. My legacy 105mm macro is breaking my arm

12. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Best advice ever

13. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    :p Can't "just shoot" all day if your battery is dead. :D

14. khollister

khollister Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Keith
    • Batteries - OEM if you can find them
    • 3rd party cheapo cable release if you plan on much tripod work
    • I like the Lance fixed length neck strap - it is a soft braided cord/rope similar in size to small climbing rope

15. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Far as OEM batteries go, are there any particular brands to avoid, such as exploding/popping chinese brands? For my most recent battery I just went with the flashpoint (Adorama brand), since they would be the "go to" place if I ever required a warranty regarding the battery themselves.

Getting a response from VidProUSA (distributor/etc of Power2000) is like pulling teeth, as one of theirs has already bulged on me in less than 8 months. Still awaiting their response.

16. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    oem = olympus batteries, no?

I must be more selective when taking photos throughout the day than most...I've only had my battery die once, and that was probably because I forgot to fully charge it before I left.

As far as accessories go - I have the grip, a sling-strap (blackrapid), and a bag for travelling (little domke).

17. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I must have confused them, kept thinking 'white box vs retail' as opposed to original-equipment-manufacture.

My experience with batteries doesn't really apply to the OM-D but rather the E-P3. I've found that if I start shooting around 10am, until around 7-8pm I will have nearly drained two batteries. Course without the built in EVF it probably consumes more power from the OLED.

On such a day would be around 380 RAW+Jpeg plus about 25 minutes of video.

18. s2kinfinite

s2kinfinite Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2012
    Gordy's Strap, HLD-6 or Leather Case, Screen Protector and extra battery, compact camera bag...

19. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    I used the Wasabi batteries. I got two batteries and a wall charger that works with my Olympus battery. It all works great. I've heard that some people are afraid of the "grey market" batteries but I've used a lot of grey market batteries and never had an issue.... yet.

20. khollister

khollister Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Keith
    Same here - good luck with the Wasabi batteries.