1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New OM-D JnK leather half-case

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by joysmahal, May 24, 2012.

1. joysmahal

joysmahal Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I found a new OM-D leather half case made by JnK on eBay that IMHO looks a lot nicer than the Gariz half cases. Personally, I think the price is too high at $180 + $30 for premium/limited leather that is shown in the pictures.

If it was around $100.00 I might bite. Just thought I'd share with you guys. Any thoughts?

JnK. half-case for Olympus OM-D(E-M5) | eBay

omd2.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TDP

TDP Guest

3. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    Yeah it looks really nice!
    But the bummer is that theres no battery opening.. and I just found out that E-M5 sucks the battery very fast. :biggrin:

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I'd have to agree it's the best looking one. I hate big bold company graphics....that's my only knock on the Gariz. This does seem a bit steep, too.

5. joysmahal

joysmahal Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I agree that having a battery opening on the bottom is convenient, but that's not a deal breaker for me. I actually like the look of an all leather bottom vs the metal bottom with openings on the Gariz half case. The deal breaker is that it costs twice as much as the Gariz!

6. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    That is pretty steep- although it does look pretty well made.

The battery compartment access would annoy me though- if I had to remove the tripod mount to get at it.

I went with a Kaza case: E-M5 COMBO:Olympus E-M5 Full Case [ COW Leather] + Strap - Kaza I considered the Gariz case (love their products), but that glaring logo on the front was too much (the Kaza one does have a logo as well- but it's a little more subtle).

7. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

When you are charging $200 for a half case for a Leica M rangefinder, you are going to upset your Leica-owning customers if you charge much less than $200 for an E-M5 half case that is only a little smaller.

I use cases by Mr Zhou for my 35mm rangefinder cameras. They are made of excellent quality hide and cost a small fraction of $200. It is a pity that he hasn't so far been convinced to make cases for modern digital cameras apart from the Fujifilm X100 and X10 and Leica X1.

Black Leather Case, Soft Shutter Release Button items in Zhou Camera Case store on eBay!

• Like Like x 1
  8. mister_roboto

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I had never heard of his cases before- they're beautiful.

9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    • Like Like x 1
  10. mister_roboto

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
  11. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

Yes, they are beautiful. They are also very functional and reasonably priced.

Having been deeply disappointed by a Gariz "real leather" wrist strap that had never been near a cow and a "genuine leather" no-brand half case for my G3 (bought from eBay) that was exceptionally badly made from tacky 100% plastic over cardboard, it is a pleasure to pick up a 35mm rangefinder body in a Mr Zhou half case made from real hide. It fits the hand as well as it fits the camera and offers a really good grip, while the very low price is extremely welcome.

I just wish Mr Zhou would make half cases for Olympus and Panasonic m4/3 bodies. Perhaps we should ask him?

12. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Ahoy !

Been looking at these cases and gotta say, some of the premium ones look so damn sexy....the limited edition Gariz in black that Was mentioned in another thread also looked excellent....makes me wonder how stunning an EM5 case by "Luigi Leicatime" would be !

Just a quick question.

With the way these cases wrap around the body leaving the back obviously open, the sides are essentially just vertical flaps of leather that aren't strapped in or across to each other in any way. Leather being leather gets a little softer and more malleable with time....are those 2 side portions of leather, the vertical side flaps, do they have some kind of stiff backing like a mold or frame of some sort ?

I'm just wondering if these 2 side flaps will over a short period of time become loose and unsightly and eventually not 'hug into' the form of the camera.

Input appreciated.

Cheers guys.
    Joe.

13. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Not in my experience.I haven't really counted shots,but it is so much better than my G3.

14. joysmahal

joysmahal Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I noticed that the JnK case covers both the left and right side of the OMD. Covering the right side is a big pain in the butt for me because that's where the SD card access is. The Gariz cases leave both left and right side open for the side ports and you do have a point that over time they may become more flimsy/less firm.

I decided that I'm going to pass on all leather half-cases for now; I was real close to ordering the Gariz limited black case today. My reason for holding off is that I would rather buy a generic battery grip if/when they make one. I'm not paying $300.00 for the full grip when all I want is the top half of the grip.

Here's a better pic from the ebay auction that shows the JnK case covering up the sides of the OM-D. See "About back side design"

omd1.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I fell in love with that JnK grip look, but I'm still reeling from buying the kit with the 12-50, and then adding the grip, and then paying for the flash to get the rebate (even though they didn't HAVE the flash in stock). That was 2 weeks ago...still waiting for the grip and flash....and the rebate for the flash I never needed to begin with.

16. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    That looks pretty nice. cheaper than the stock grip too :)

17. tonyjuliano

tonyjuliano Mu-43 Regular

$180?

I'll pass. I'll be happy when these people make something for the OM-D...

J.B. Camera Designs

18. TDP

TDP Guest

19. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Mu-43 Regular

^^^ Gorgeous! ^^^
    That's the kit for me (eventually)
    Black OMD with black lens and cool wrist strap and leather half case.

Winner.

20. TDP

TDP Guest

Thanks. The wrist strap is just a piece of military parachute cord and some electrical shrink wrap.