new OM-D firmware for 300 Pro and hybrid IS ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mcasan, Dec 12, 2015.

1. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    I am wondering if Olympus will have to update all the OM-D bodies when the 300F4 Pro is released. If the IS is to be a hybrid using both IBIS and the 300's OIS.....strikes me that a firmware update would be needed for that new IS mode.

So that is OK if you stick with Oly lenses on the Oly bodies. But, if you wanted the P/L 100-400, will OM-D bodies do a hybrid IS with a P/L lines in the future? As I remember today if you put on a Panny OIS lens you have to tell the OM-D which IS to use.....lens or body, not both. Will the open interorperabiiity of M43 continue/extend into hybrid IS......of is that where we have to stick with one brand to a working hybrid IS?

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    There are already several brand proprietary features that exist that probably aren't covered by the µ4/3 spec. Can't use Olympus lenses for DFD or hybrid IS on Panasonic cameras, or any Panasonic lenses for Focus Stacking on the E-M1 and the aperture ring on Panny lenses aren't functional on Olympus bodies. Heck, their zoom lenses zoom in opposite directions. Inter-operable is not full functionality. The camera companies will do whatever they can to differentiate their products.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jon Li

Jon Li Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Jakarta - Indonesia
    E-M1 recognizes the LUMIX lens' software version , so does GX8 on Zuiko mZD lens' software version . I m of the opinion Olympus n Panasonic have a common basic software with differing variations n
    E-M1 has Panasonic sensor wud make sense . It wud be interesting to see if the upcoming Zuiko 300/4 Pro with OIS will work on GX8's Dual IS .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.