New OM-D EVF auto switch: Perplexed!!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by wndrful, Nov 25, 2012.

1. wndrful

wndrful New to Mu-43

Nov 25, 2012
    Bought OM-D just a week ago. Really love the camera. On many levels. Getting good help from this forum to set it up properly and make the most of it. There is one thing that has baffled me quite a bit.

Auto EVF to real LCD switching.

EVF Auto Switch OFF mode: works fine. I toggle between EVF and real LCD by pressing the button at the side of the viewfinder.

EVF Auto Switch ON mode doesn't work properly. When in this mode, only EVF is ON. Rear LCD never turns on/live view. (i turned it ON both ways: selecting through the menus or keep the toggle button pressed until it gives an option to turn auto switch ON.)
    To me it seems that eye sensor is always active and keeps the display always in EVF and never in real LCD.

So far I have tried:
    1. update firmware to 1.5
    2. removing eyepiece cover and cleaning the sensor area.
    3. turning the camera on such that there is no object in vicinity of the eye sensor to keep display in EVF and not in rear LCD.

I did extensive search here and other places to find a solution. Most thread talk about super sensitive eye sensor that gets triggered very easily. About dirt on the sensor making it always active etc.

The camera is less than a week old and I am about to put it in the box and send it back (get a replacement). Any help or suggestions to get auto switch between EVF/rear LCD automatic toggling would be super appreciated.
  2. cputeq

cputeq Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    A few things to check:

Menu - Gears - Option (D) - Control Settings - PASM - Enable Live Control and Live SCP

Menu - Gears - Option (K) - Touch Screen settings - Turn these on.

Now, does it help any? Also, try hitting "INFO" button when eye removed from EVF.

Basically, it sounds like your OM-D (might) be set up in the "sports" configuration described here

How to tweak your Olympus OM-D E-M5 to shoot sports by Jim Huffman | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

and if it is, you'll want to undo the steps required to get it there.

Or, it's broken.
  3. wndrful

wndrful New to Mu-43

Nov 25, 2012
    Thanks for directions
    Set it up as per directions. :( No luck.

This might not be related but I get live SCP grid on EVF only when live control is OFF.
  4. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    (talking like a Olympus tech support): Please try resetting the OMD to the factory setting and see if it resolves the problem.

I know it's a pain to re-configure all the settings, but this is what they will likely ask you to try before setup the return for you.
  5. wndrful

wndrful New to Mu-43

Nov 25, 2012
    :(( resetting didn't help either.
  6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Are you sure it's NEVER switching to the rear screen? I find I never leave it on auto because anytime I try to shoot with the rear screen, it's with the screen flipped up and held down by my belly - and then my belly is too close and it thinks I'm trying to use the evf anyway and switches to it. It only seems to keep the screen on when held at arms length, which I pretty much never use. So I just keep the sensor disabled and use the little switch on the side of the evf as an on/off toggle.

Yours is probably broken because I'm guessing you've checked, but I figured it was worth asking...

7. wndrful

wndrful New to Mu-43

Nov 25, 2012
    Good point. I did check it by pointing camera away from the body. No dice. :(
    Honestly, I will be using it exactly the way mentioned: keeping it off, auto live preview to double check the picture just taken, half click shutter to go back to EVF view.
    Just that I would like to have everything in working order when I buy a new product at full price. :)
    thank you very much for a prompt direction and suggestions. Removed lots of double guessing.

PS I am sure I will be back. Some parting comments:
    This is my first foray into u 43 after watching the development over the fence for years.
    I am a canon user with 2 film and 1dslr bodies and lots of primes and zooms with preference for wide-to-normal primes. Could never recreate lightness of film slr and light wide prime with APS-C canon and could never justify the price and bulk of full frame DSLR.

OM-D+20mm panasonic combo is wonderful in that regard.
    All this might sound like been there done that for you guys but thought I should still chime in. :)
  8. wndrful

wndrful New to Mu-43

Nov 25, 2012
    Mailed back the camera. Repacking was a pain.
    Received new camera today.
    Auto EVF works out of the box.
    Fast, efficient, and very irritating.
    Turned it to manual...
    Now it works just like the previous camera :)
  9. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    congrats, now that's a true working OMD :rofl: