New OM-D EM-5 Mk II

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ymc226, Feb 24, 2015.

1. ymc226

ymc226 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 24, 2015
    New Jersey
    Just wanted to introduce myself. This will be my first foray into m43 (still shooting full frame only). Ordered a black model directly from Olympus USA which was shipped yesterday scheduled for delivery at my office this afternoon. Got a 12-40 PRO along with it since I want a weatherproof system for the beach where 90% of my pics are taken.

2. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Welcome, by all accounts you have a nice camera with that new EM-5 Mk II. I too shoot FF as well as MFT. They each have their advantages and disadvantages. You've covered most bases :D

3. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Welcome aboard!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Not a bad camera (or lens) to begin with. Welcome

sent from my Xperia Z

5. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Welcome!

6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Welcome. There are many of us here that shoot other systems in addition to m4/3. For me Nikon FX is for work, m4/3 is for fun.

7. ymc226

ymc226 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 24, 2015
    New Jersey
    Thank you all. My present system is smaller than a DSLR but is manual focus so I was missing alot of spontaneuous occasions with my children. I've read about the quick AF with the Olympus systems so am looking forward to capturing more family moments.

8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Welcome. Be sure to share your impressions of the MkII as you gain experience with it.

9. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Leica? :)

10. ymc226

ymc226 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 24, 2015
    New Jersey
    How did you guess Dave? Using M9-P, MM and M240. Also using a Nikon D800, very infrequently as the colors and sharpness aren't there compared to the Leicas.

Just opening up the OMD now. I use Lightroom 5 and given the EM-5 Mk II isn't supported yet, if I shoot RAW, do I convert to Adobe's DNG so I can process them in LR?

11. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Chances are the raw file format is the same as the E-M5 but the camera name is different so LR won't recognise it. You could try using Exiftool to change the camera name to E-M5 and see if it works. I did this for a while with an E-PL5 before Bibble/ASP formally supported it (I use LR now). There's a post somewhere here from me that explains the process.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Its been Adobe's standpoint to convert to DNG using their converter for Raw files that are not yet supported. I dont think it will be that long until they do however. In the meantime I may just shoot jpg as I usually do anyway. Tho lately I have been shooting both formats simultaneously.

- Edit The manual-focus-only gave it away, that and the fact it was smaller then a DSLR. :p

That is interesting I may try that. However I suspect that this might work for the standard Raw files but I'm wondering if there may be more to it then that for the HiRes Raw files. Time will tell for sure!

13. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Congrats!

I also have an EM5 II coming with some lenses. Unfortunately the terrible weather here has delayed shipping, and we may have even more snow tonight, so I have no idea when my camera and lenses will arrive.

Was supposed to get them today. :-/ Paid $15 for 2 day delivery... *sigh*

Can you please post impressions ASAP, so I can vicariously experience having the camera until mine arrives.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  14. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    This is what you'll need to do:

Download and install Exiftool You'll find it easily with a google search and once you've downloaded it, just unzip the download file and rename the exe within it to exiftool.exe (for a complicated reason it's called exiftool(-k).exe in the zip).

Then run exiftool from the DOS command prompt like this:

c:\> exiftool -model=E-M5 PL500837.ORF​

Obviously, replace the filename PL500837.ORF with your own filename. After this command has run, you'll find two files:

PL500837.ORF
    PL500837.ORF_original

The one called _original is (surprise, surprise) the original file. The other is the updated version with the model name changed to E-M5. Try this with LR.

Once LR (or your favourite raw editor) supports the EM5ii properly, just delete the ORFs and rename the _original files to ORF again and you'll restore the proper model name (or if you delete the _original files, just use Exiftool again).

Hope this helps.

15. ymc226

ymc226 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 24, 2015
    New Jersey
    Coming from the Leica digital M's with little to no options to program, my head is spinning around all the options like AF-S vs AF-C, display options, program button options. I just set it to ISO 200, RAW only and turned off live view.

I don't know if this is possible but if I turn off live view so only the menu is displayed on the back, is there a way to have the taken picture displayed on the big screen after the shutter actuation. I usually develop in Lightroom so can't tell about the processibility of the photos until LR support arrives.

16. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I know what you mean, I too shoot with a Leica M240 and it sure is a different experience. Yes, there are innumerable option available. I don't have the EM-5 Mk II, I had the first EM-5 and I still have the EM-1. I am sure they are very similar I'll look into it and tell you what I find. Of course, somebody else will probably chime in with help before then. Go ahead and use the auto WB and set the high limit wherever you like. It's really nice to have the flexibility of the high ISO. I will warn you that MF is not fun with the Olympus lenses because they don't have stops. It;s a royal PITA. However, you can use your Leica lenses with the adapter and shoot it in Manual mode or Aperture priority, you'll find the EVF quite good and the focus aid might work with adapted lenses as well.

17. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Actually, the advantage of DNG Converter is to let you use the RAW with older versions of Lightroom/Photoshop that don't support the RAW format. But to do this, DNG Converter itself must be have been updated to support the newer format, and currently it has not been. So EXIFTool is your only option.

18. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Shoot, you are right! Thanks for the info. :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. fotomatix

fotomatix Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2011
    Canada
    Just bought mine today. All black coupled with an all black 17mm f1.8. I only shoot prime. I prefer the bright fast lenses to shorten the gap vs APSC when shooting in low light. Excellent results IMO. My 3 main pieces of glass are 17f1.8, 45f1.8, and 75f1.8. I had the 12-40f2.8, very nice don't get me wrong, just not for me. My philosophy is 'go prime or go home'. Will shoot with it over the next few days and weeks and share feedback.

• Like Like x 1