New OM-D E-M5 that crashed twice today!!!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JStheoriginal, Mar 29, 2013.

1. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    Not sure what caused it, but today my camera turned off twice and would only turn back on by taking the battery out and putting it back in.

Both times the camera was just hanging from my neck while turned on. I'm guessing that with it swingingon my neck, the LCD/viewfinder sensor maybe caused them to switch back and firth too rapidly, so it may have crashed?!? Does that sound feasible?!?

2. Mine locked up once about 10 months ago when it was on firmware 1.0 and had the Panasonic 20mm lens mounted (this was a known fault on the original firmware). I guess my point is that the camera shouldn't be locking up if the firmware is current and the camera is healthy.

3. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    And I'm on 1.6 so not sure what the issue could be! :-(

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I did have one lock up (which might have been before I did the 1.5 update & also another occasion the EVF dislpayed a blank white screen while showing the display on the screen. I obviously did something that was out of expected sequence, but just remember it is still a little computer & it runs a lot better than Windows did in the past with all it's crashes. :rolleyes:

5. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I had that lock once, it was shooting at 26F outdoor, somehow I needed hard reboot, but that maybe due to used 3rd party battery.

6. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    I was outdoors...around the same temps! Fully charged Olympus battery.

Wonder why it's so sensitive? I was out in colder the other day with no issue.

7. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Mine has not crashed even once until now, but I have read about that problem before buying the camera. Many sources say, that the crash occurs in relation to the standby and auto turn off settings. Thus, I have just set those parameters to longer times. A camera not being ready annoys me anyway, if I am strolling around and have to be quick many times. And if I know that I will not use the camera for some time, I just turn it off manually.

8. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I only had that once. I live in CA, normally temperature is kind of warm,

haven't get chance use in cold weather, hopefully you don't see that again:rolleyes:

9. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    My first copy did this all the time. Returned it, bought another. No lockups at all. I would suggest that you do the same if you can.

10. luiztakei

luiztakei Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2012
    Luiz
    I had that problem before updating the firmware. I have not experienced that issue since the firmware update, even when taking pictures during Canadian winter...

11. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    thanks...did it lock up only outside in the cold as well??

12. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    I just emailed Olympus support to see what options I have.

I had to cut the UPC off of my current unit's box for the rebate...and the online store I bought from says the box needs to be unmarked/touched to return...and I'd need to pay insured shipping back to them.

I'll see what Olympus says first before I contact the company I bought from...

13. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Who did you buy from?

14. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    http://www.vistek.ca (they're based in Toronto).

15. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    It locked just about every time I used it. It would start with the buttons not responding, and then lock completely. The battery had to be out for about half an hour for it to boot-up again.

Replacement (which is a much later serial) has not failed once yet, including two weeks in the tropics just gone.

16. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    Ok mine is nowhere near as bad.