New OM-D E-M5 Owners' Thread!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Amin Sabet, May 4, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Bhupinder and others pointed out that the recent discussions list has been taken over by a flood of E-M5 discussions, so I thought it might be helpful to have a central thread for new E-M5 owners to post their impressions, tips, problems, first photos, etc. Please feel free to post any or all of that in this thread.

With that said, this thread exists to give people the option of adding to a central, stickied thread, but it's not the only option. Feel free to start your own thread or continue to add to other threads about the E-M5. It's great for our system and this site to have as much enthusiasm for a new MFT camera as we're seeing for the E-M5, and we're not trying to throw a wet blanket over that.

• Like Like x 5
  2. jcurious

jcurious Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    *snark*I agree, the best way to cut down the excessive number of threads is to start a new thread that invites people to start new threads. */snark*

• Like Like x 1
  3. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    Great Idea,

I can't wait to get mine (I'll have to though... a few days left... On a plane to Indianapolis right now. :cool:

I will surely ad a thing or two...

4. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

This Is A Good Idea

Get these dirty rotten #$%&!@#@! off in a corner where I don't have to hate their @@#$%!@%$# guts! Hate em I tell ya! Hate hate hate hate hate .......

{/envy}

5. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    But if we did, the E-M5 would still survive because it's weather sealed. :biggrin:

(Sorry... couldn't resist that one.)
    :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Amin,
    Have you actually tried viewing anything in this new setup? It's very painful in that you must click on the forum tab then go to Olympus then to the thread, only having to repeat this process to view another E-M5 thread. It was better before it was "fixed".

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I didn't change anything at all except for posting this one thread. All the other threads are just like they were before. There is no new "setup" :confused:.

8. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    So that's how it is eh? Starting a thread just for the OWNERS of the OMD. The 1% vs. the 99% approach eh? :)

I'm joining the other thread (the jealous one)!!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Guess I'll go first - I came home yesterday to find my new E-M5 had been delivered by UPS.

First impressions:
    • It's smaller and heavier than I expected. The size is perfect for me. I wouldn't have minded lighter, but I'll get used to the heft.
    • It's beautiful, although I think my E-P3 was even better looking (E-P3 = best looking camera around for me of any brand)
    • The built-in grip on the OM-D is all the grip I need - feels great and the strap lugs don't bother me
    • The viewfinder is excellent - no problems using it with glasses. Preferred the slightly bigger viewfinder size of my GH2 but this is more than adequate.
    • Overall build quality is excellent with the exceptions of slightly cheap feeling battery door and mushy rear buttons.
    • Couple menu defaults are odd - I immediately disabled the warm images and enabled the viewfinder stabilization.
    • The image stabilization seems very effective, and the stabilized viewfinder is very cool.
    • I shoot with either eye - sometimes right,other times left. Using the left eye, my nose pushes against my right hand but it doesn't bother me. I wouldn't have noticed without people pointing it out in the forums.
    • I can hear the fan-like noise, but it doesn't bother me.
    • The shutter release sound is muted - wonderful.

Pics to follow. For now, here's an phone cam shot of my two MFT cameras side by side. As you can see, I'm not one for wanting stealthy-looking cameras. I like my cameras eye catching :smile::

7144680295_d32e73a6df_z.

• Like Like x 5
  10. One of my observations is that it is actually worth using the gradation feature on the E-M5 jpegs, whereas on the Pens it didn't feel that it really suited the sensor characteristics.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jimbo3rd

Jimbo3rd Photog GoGo

Mar 10, 2011
    Central Florida/Disney area
    Jim Sullivan
    Great looking cams, love the Granite and that refrig. is pretty nice too. Looking forward to your pics with the EM5.

12. captevo

captevo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    One of the 1st thing I do with any digital camera is turn off the "Beep" sound. :)
    Amin sums it up very well.
    I only shoot RAW but when i tested the jpg on E-M5, it's too close to what I'd tweak in RAW.

13. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    How do you enable viewfinder image stabilization? Ii cannot find it in the menu. Also what setting do you have for histogram.
    Thanks

14. thinkcooper

thinkcooper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 29, 2011
    Mine arrived on April 17th from Olympus US, in black with the 12-50 kit lens and the HLD6 grip. I posted this thread after a week with a mix of images shot using a legacy Canon FD 300 and the kit lens, including some very fast action shots done in burst mode of bicycle aerials. Pretty impressive how the lens and camera captured these. That first week I shot in just JPG while waiting for Lightroom support for the E-M5's RAW images in their LR4 RC2 beta.

Here's the thread: Week one with E-M5

Sample image from the thread - shot with 12-50 in 9 shot burst mode

6968793902_baf3d73151_b.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Go to the *C menu and set "Hal Way Rls With IS" to "On"

I don't use the histogram :eek:.

• Like Like x 3
  16. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Also, Viking Professional FTW! (Now I just need a shot of the range...which better be Pro too ;) )

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Do you leave it on 'Auto', 'Normal' or adjust for 'High/Low key'

18. Gradation is a dynamic range expansion, but the wording is a bit confusing.

Normal means off, Auto means on. High key and low key adjust the tone curves to emphasise highlights and shadows respectively.

You will notice an increase in shadow noise if you use this feature, but with the much improved noise performance of the E-M5 sensor and the higher resolution compared to the Pens I think that it is a feature worth using (I just use Auto; haven't played with high or low key yet).

19. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    This post makes me feel a little guilty for my contributions to all the recent OM-D chatter here. But, to be fair, I didn't have a M4/3 camera before to talk about. I feel I am in the same spot as several other recent new members- we are so excited about the new camera and the avenues that M4/3 tech has opened that we can't shut up about it.

By the way everyone- a big thanks to you all. Since I've really jumped into this new (for me) format headfirst coming from using giant DSLRs for so long, the information and helpful people here have made my adjustments so much easier than figuring out everything all by myself. The new camera is a lot different than what I'm used to, but the learning curve is much shorter with such a valuable resource.

20. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    And if you want it to work with legacy lenses with the IS turning off the magnified view, make sure you set it to mode 2 in LV closeup mode, in menu D.