1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Om-D E-M5 owner here, a few questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by AttackDonut, Jul 22, 2015.

1. AttackDonut

AttackDonut Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 22, 2015
    Greetings,

I've dug around on the web, and bits here, but can't really find answers, so I thought I'd register and ask:
    I'm normally a Nikon shooter and I want to mimic as much of my current control set as possible, to minimize re-learning with the Oly.

On my Nikon D2x, the pic I just shot shows up on the LCD screen after I take the pic, and goes away when I half depress the shutter button. Unsure how to make the E-M5 do the same. I don't use liveview, and currently, I have to press a button (to the left of the FN1 button) to make the image appear, which isn't my style of shooting.

I have the extra grip and battery, which is very nice, but I can't find out what the "lock" switch does on the battery part. Help here?

When I have the grip in place, I have three dials on top. The rear dial I want for aperture control, and the front grip I'd like to set for shutter speed, with the middle one for exposure comp. How do I set this up? I tried reading the manual and it was.....less than clear.

Finally (yeah, I've asked a lot of questions, sorry) what is the minimum version of LightRoom I need to read the RAW files? Google is all over the map on this. I have 2.7, which I've been very happy with, but I gather it won't read the RAW files.

Cheers!

2. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    There is a setting from where you can choose for how long you want your image to be automatically reviewed. I'm not sure where that was, since I don't have my lovely E-M5 at hand right now.

The lock switch is for disabling the buttons and dials of your vertical grip so that you don't accidently change your settings if you prefer to use that.

The front dial of your horizontal grip is essentially a copy of your camera's front dial, to just make the ergonomics better. Unfortunately you can't change it to have different function than what your camera's front dial is set to.

I don't know the answer for your question about the LR, sorry.

3. AttackDonut

AttackDonut Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 22, 2015
    Thank you Vivalo, this is a start :)

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    It's in the Wrench/Spanner menu, under "Rec View". You can adjust the length of time the image displays on the screen from 0.3 to 20 seconds or something called "Auto [play symbol]", which I think means that the image stays on the display indefinitely. In any of these settings, half-depressing the shutter should return you to live view.

5. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Support for the E-M5 was added with Adobe Camera Raw v6.7 in May 2012. I suspect you probably need at least LR5.

Edit: it appears support for the E-M5 was added in LR4.1.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  6. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  7. AttackDonut

AttackDonut Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 22, 2015
    DeeJay-

Thank you, but I do not use LiveView, so changing that setting doesn't help (or at least trying it didn't make any difference, the LCD is still dark)
    Thanks for the tops on LR, I wonder what version I can upgrade to, from 2.7, my guess is I will have to buy all over again.
    And the tips I'm sure will prove useful :)

8. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    So currently the image you just shot doesn't show up AT ALL for you in either the EVF or the rear screen? I'm not sure how one would turn off that functionality aside from the Rec View menu setting I mentioned. How did you go about turning off LiveView (i.e. what menu settings)?

I suspect you're correct that there isn't an upgrade path from LR2.7 to LR4.1. I use (and love) LR CC, which is included with PhotoShop CC in the $10/month Creative Cloud subscription. I feel this is a good bargain, but I understand those who don't like what amounts to a software leasing model.

9. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Have you tried to switch the EVF from the button on the side of it? You could also try to scroll through the back screen modes with the info button, if you are using the back screen only for super control panel... I'm not sure what you mean by "not using live view".

10. AttackDonut

AttackDonut Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 22, 2015
    I only use the electronic viewfinder to compose and shoot with, much like my D2x. Once I take the shot with my D2x, it then displays on the LCD screen on the back of the camera. I tried briefly, using the large LCD screen on the E-M5 to shoot with, and didn't like it.
    My camera came with LiveView turned off, and that was fine by me. I'm just trying to get the just shot image to display automatically on the rear LCD, and remain there until I shoot the next shot.

11. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    This looks like the Auto setting. The only issue is that the recorded picture is briefly displayed in the EVF too (only while the image is being written to the card I think). And you have to release the button to see it.
    This is what I get but I disabled the eye-sensor so this could be somehow interfering.

12. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    I think this is the only way to go then. Personally, I keep the rec view off, it's just distracting. I can always hit the play button if I want to review my picture. I know that it is important to review pictures constantly with DSLRs because you can't get the sense of the exposure via optical viewfinder. The electronic viewfinder saves you from the constant reviewing because you know pretty much spot-on your exposure before you have even released the shutter.

13. AttackDonut

AttackDonut Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 22, 2015
    Thank you again for your help. You have been most kind. The image just taken does show up in the EVF, which will do for now. I realize it's not a dSLR, and there will be some adjustments to be made. I went ahead and upgraded to LR 4.1, which was quite painless, it even auto-imported all my presets. Workflow is a little different as well, but nothing major.
    I look forward to hitting a concert with this and seeing how it will do. I've got a Gwar show coming up and they specifically target photographers in the pit! Never been an issue with my Nikon, so the Oly's weathersealing will have a big task ahead of it.

One last question (promise!) it's an easy one:
    I have the battery grip, and moved the one battery to there. Can I buy another battery and put back into the body and run two batteries for extended shooting?

14. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Yes you can and should. You can even change the order in which the camera will use the batteries. I like the camera to use the vertical grip battery first and then start to use the in-camera battery. This way you can easily change the battery from the grip even when the camera is on. You are welcome to make even more questions. :)

15. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Of course, you can also choose in which order they are used.

About the shot review: why do you need it? If it is about clipping you can try the highlight&shadows mode. Or live histogram. Or assign peaking or magnify to a function button if it is about general focus.

16. AttackDonut

AttackDonut Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 22, 2015
    >>About the shot review: why do you need it?<<

So I can review the shot and she if I blew the focus, or the highlights, etc. But since the Oly shows a smaller version in the EVF, it is perhaps less of an issue. Still, it would be nice if ever shot was displayed automatically on the larger screen after it was taken, without using LiveView.