1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New OM-D E-M5 - issues?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by hrsy1234, Mar 29, 2013.

1. hrsy1234

hrsy1234 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2013
    East London
    Hi all

First post, new E-M5 owner here. I just received it yesterday, along with a Sigma 19mm f2.8. I'm coming from owning a Canon DSLR setup for the last 7 years or so.

I think there's something wrong with the lens, or maybe the body. Occasionally when switching on, the camera reports, in somewhat broken English, "Please check the status of a lens." Other times it works ok, but only for a few photos. If I leave the camera on, detach the lens, and re-attach it, it takes a few more photos and then stops working again. Taking photos without any lens attached works ok - obviously there isn't much to look at, since the light is just hitting the sensor without going through a lens, but it works without any problem.

Other times, the camera appears a bit unresponsive - for example I'll press the shutter to cause focus, but it seems to lock up a bit, insofar that moving the dials to change aperture etc do not respond.

Has anyone else had any issues like this before? I've emailed the supplier to ask them, I'm expecting they'll ask me to send everything back, but I thought I'd ask here in case anyone has experienced similar issues, or can suggest further things to check. Unfortunately I don't have any other m43 bodies or lenses to test with.

Cheers

2. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    The only thing I can suggest right now is checking to make sure your camera has the latest firmware. You should have version 1.6, which came out on Feb. 19, 2013. Since the Sigma isn't that old of a lens, it is possible your camera isn't set up to properly recognize it.

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    There's certainly a problem. It sounds like there is poor electrical contact being made between the lens and the camera. It might be worth cleaning the contacts with a lint-free cloth very slightly moistened with alcohol. Using a pencil eraser on the contacts can also help. If that fails, you'll need to ship it back. If you have access to another lens that would enable you to eliminate camera or lens and avoid sending both back.

4. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    If you bought it locally, it ought to go back right now.

5. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    This is more likely to be a lens fault rather than a fault with the body (imo)
    As the fault is intermittant is is unlikely to be firmware related
    Either way I would definately send the items back promptly if they are new and let them send out new items and let someone else figure out what's wrong - it is not down to you to do this with new products
    Rob

6. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Also, make sure you're not pushing the lens release button by accident. Otherwise, it might be a problem with the lens. Have you shot with any other lens on it?

7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Its a lens problem... or a camera problem... try the camera with another lens and you will have your answer

K

8. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I seem to recall that if you hold the lens release button too long the lens can rotate too far, thereby misaligning the contacts. I can't attest to this because it has never happened to me, but I do think I've heard it mentioned.

9. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I believe that I read it some where on B&H site of a review of that lens where someone was complaining about the very same problem with that sigma lens. I am holding off purchasing that lens and the 30mm sigma lens to see how their newer versions are reviewed by owners.

10. hrsy1234

hrsy1234 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2013
    East London
    Thanks everyone for your responses!

I've checked and the camera firmware is running 1.1 (camera) and 1.0 (lens). This seems like it is quite a few revisions behind! I think I will hold off until I hear from the retailer, but if they only want me to return the lens then I'll upgrade the firmware straight away.

That was my worry too. While I haven't used this particular camera before, I have enough experience with interchangeable lens systems to know what is normal behaviour and what isn't! I've cleaned the contacts with both a pencil eraser and a micro-fibre cloth and it doesn't seem to have helped.

It has been purchased locally within the UK from a retailer and has a proper warranty, so this is my preferred option I think. I was looking forward to having the Easter weekend to take photos, but I guess I will have to wait! If I'd bought from eBay or DigitalRev I'd be more inclined to see what I can do myself to resolve the issue, but I think a warranty/RMA query is the best option first up.

Thanks Rob. You're definitely right - since it's brand new it's not up to me to troubleshoot this too extensively.

Thanks, I've double-checked and can confirm the issue still happens when I'm only holding the camera by the grip, so there's no hand near either the button or the lens itself. Unfortunately I don't have access to any other m43 lenses to compare. My friends are all still shooting with Canon or Nikon DSLR setups.

Thanks, I have tried this just now, releasing the lens release button straight away, but the issue persists.

Ah that's interesting. This is the second Sigma lens I've owned, and is unfortunately the second Sigma lens I've had problems with. I had a 30mm 1.4 on my Canon DSLR and it was essentially useless due to front-focussing issues. So, my success rate with Sigma so far hasn't been great!

11. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Sigma get a bad rap, sometimes entirely justified! I had a 10-20 zoom on my Canon 40d some years ago and it suffered from bad de-centering. I also owned a 75-300 zoom in the dim and distant past and optically it was probably the worst lens I have ever used!

Having said that, the latest Sigma stuff (FF 35/1.4 for example) gets extremely positive reviews and the word is that they're sorting out their QA issues.

12. hrsy1234

hrsy1234 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2013
    East London
    I've read a lot about that 35mm 1.4 on places like LensRentals, and it almost sounds too good to be true! Not to worry, it's a pretty low-cost lens so hopefully the retailer will send a new one on Tuesday.

13. hrsy1234

hrsy1234 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2013
    East London
    FWIW I've posted the lens back to the supplier and am awaiting their testing results. I have no access to any other m43 lenses unfortunately. I will try and get to a Currys this weekend to see if I can test a lens there.

[update] The lens tested bad on another body, thankfully. A replacement is on its way!

14. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I get this occasionally with my Oly 75mm on my silver body. It only happens with that particular combination. Switching the camera off and then on solves the problem. If I put the 75mm on my other body or any other lens on the silver body, I get no problems. It's just a weird glitch.

Gordon

15. hrsy1234

hrsy1234 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2013
    East London
    I received a new lens over the weekend, and it seems to be fine now. I'll take it out tonight for some photos. Looking forward to actually being able to use the camera, it's tortuous having a new OM-D but no lenses!