New olympus

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ripleys baby, Feb 10, 2012.

1. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    I will admit to getting over excited on the run up to the release of the new Olympus omt-elp1g type camera. The truth is now i'm feeling slightly flat and disappointed ! Its not pushing any buttons for me ! My boat is not being floated at all:frown: (apart from the weather proofing bit )

In fact Its made me realise just how good the GH2 is. So thank you olympus for helping me make up my mind for my not to distant future upgrade :smile:

Is anyone else less than impressed with the new Oly on here. And why ?
    Thanks all.

2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    There are so many threads where it's been hashed out, but it seems that meyerweb and I are in the same boat as you. While the OM-D seems impressive, It just seems to be a GH2 with weatherproofing and image stabilization (both of which I put pretty far down on the importance list), and without multi-aspect shooting (which I would like once in a while).

3. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Well... I did start this thread
    https://www.mu-43.com/f42/very-disappointed-21350/

Seriously, it adds the features I wish my G2 had. I prefer the twisty screen to the flippy screen, but I could live with it. A little bigger would be a little better, but the expensive hand grip addresses that issue.

If I had $1000 burning a hole in my pocket i'd probably get it if real world reviews confirmed all the new goodness. I don't. I'll be waiting for a more entry level OM-D to come along.

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I wouldn't say I'm not impressed with it. I actually think it is pretty cool. I'm not rushing out to buy one because at $1000 for the body its not affordable to me and I'm not so crazy about it to make me figure out a way to afford it. Like most m43 cameras, they are rarely revolutionary (with the exception of the original E-P1), instead they are evolutionary. They improve upon previous models but generally speaking the improvements are incremental.

The Panasonic GH2 is a terrific camera. If I had no m43 camera and were looking to buy one the OMD would certainly be on the short list. It'll interesting to hear what it is like once it gets into folks hands and we start getting some reports on who it handles. Maybe it'll be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    GH2 is indeed a fine camera... I bought mine primarily for the video capabilities - though it seems to be a pretty nice still camera as well.

but the UI of the GH2 is really bad... just a mess

what I like about the OMD is that they seem to have paid some attention to how a photographer uses a camera - simple controls just where you need them.

I had hoped that the OMD might be a compliment to my GH2 for video, and a compliment/replacement for my E-p1 for stills.

I am disappointed on the video spec on the OMD - but will wait and see - I think Olympus kind of rushed this launch - they needed to announce at the show last week, but they didn't have all their ducks in a row... obviously the software is not yet finalised.

but at the end of the day... its just another camera... it doesn't take pictures... thats the photographers job

K

6. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I actually disagree with that. I find that Panasonic, with my G2 and the GH2's that I've played with, have really thought out the controls. They are highly redundant, and I can use buttons and switches, the touchscreen, or menus to access the various features. If you look at photographer websites like luminous-landscape, those photographers seem to agree with me:

"Which brings us to the Panasonic GH2 specifically, and the G series in particular. Unlike some of its competitors, Panasonic "gets" user interface from a photographer's perspective. Though the camera is small, its very comfortable in hand for someone with "normal" sized hands. If you have large hands, you may find the grip area somewhat tight for your fingers and so should test for yourself before purchase.

In addition to the LCD and EVF both being state-of-the-art in terms of resolution and overall clarity, switching between them can be set to eye-detect as well as manual switching. The addition of a touch screen interface (optionally activated) means that the point of focus can be pointed to, and also the shutter can be released simply by touching the screen on the point of interest.
    Just about every important control – focus mode (center, multi-point, moveable point, face detection) release mode (single, continuous, manual), shooting speed (single shot, high speed, bracketing, self timer) has its own lever setting controls. No need to dive into menus for these primary functions.

There are also three soft keys, Fn1 on the top panel, and Fn2 and Fn3 on the rear, that can be programmed to activate just about any camera function. There is a Quick menu button that provides easy access to regularly accessed items.

And finally, there are three Custom Setting modes C1,C2, and C3, which can memorize every combination of camera settings for instant recall. Oh yes, almost forgot, there is the My Menu mode which automatically remembers your last five menu selections and lists them by frequency of use.

The wheel that used to be on the front edge of the grip has now been moved to the rear. This is a much better location, because it means that your index finger can remain in the shutter release, ready for a shot while your thumb controls exposure shift and exposure compensation with the wheel. One switches between the two by simply pressing in on the wheel. Neat.

At the risk of repeating myself, this is a photographer's camera. By this I mean that it was clearly designed by people who use cameras and understand their role as tools, not just by marketing and engineering types looking to win the spec and shelf appeal wars, even if it means that the camera's design is a dog's breakfast of poorly designed menus and awkwardly place controls. (Yes – I'm talking about the Sony NEX series, which are direct competitors to the Panasonic G series, and which seem to have had their user interface designed by a 8th grade drop-out whacked out on Quaaludes).
    "
    Panasonic GH2 First Look

• Like Like x 1
  7. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I've also described the OMD as a GH2 + weather sealing + IBIS + better JPG engine. And I like it. Assuming IQ is the same, the addition of the IBIS will be great for a prime like 45/1.8 and to use a telephoto lens like the 40-150.

However, I'm totally with Shnitz that the controls of the GH2 are actually very well laid out. Lots of dials and buttons, which IMO, are well placed. My only beef against the layout of the controls was the placement of the ISO button. I wish Pany would have placed it up high closer to the shutter. Or given the option to the user to customize the video to ISO.

8. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I see...
    - image stabilized with all lenses.
    - vertical grip with dual battery functionality and vertical controls.
    - off camera TTL flash control
    - Olympus colour
    - weather sealing
    - marginally better at high ISO ( if it's the G3 sensor. Maybe even better)

Except for the multi aspect sensor it seems like a home run to me. BUT.... These are the things I wanted in the GH3. I totally understand that others don't see them as valuable as I do.

Gordon

9. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    and I will disagree back... but thats just a personal thing... the advent of digital has complicated the photographic process... too many options ...too many variables... hence too many buttons

go back to the original OM or indeed any camera from the pre digital age and you find that life was much simpler - a way to frame an image3 variables and a switch - focus/shutter speed /aperture and shutter release.

that actually all there is to taking a photo

Digital complicated all that with the engineers presenting us with all these options in endless buttons and menus - WB, NR blah blah blah.... why do we the photographer need to play with these... why doesn't AWB work all the time... why don't the engineers make a decision about what the best NR is ?

Digital cameras are starting to move away from their DOS/UNIX command line approach to the controls something more Mac/Windows like... unfortunately I think the iPad approach is still a few iterations away

K

10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    There are two major thing for me that make this camera my choice over that Panasonic. The first is practical - I like the ibis for using legacy lenses. The second is aesthetic - I prefer the retro look of the Olympus over the mini dslr look of the Panasonic. That was enough to put the OM-D on my wish list for my next camera body. I'm not the least bit disappointed. :biggrin:

11. hypervel

hypervel Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2011
    I'll wait to see what Panasonic does. My GH2 is still fairly new to me. Most of the photo ops have been in interior/winter situations. I get out more in fair weather. The Oly has some important features for what I shoot, but I won't know how the GH2 will pan out until next fall. Summer trips, kid's soccer, and wildlife of opportunity await.
    Oly: IBIS potentially tasty
    Near-constant EVF good for action.
    Waiting to get real report on buffer performance- frame rate adequate.
    Weather sealing is no issue. I haz umbrellah and helpahz.
    Don't care how it looks. *thought about it* Nope, not at all. For that matter, I figure
    the GH2 as butt ugly. Butt ugly with lotsa switches and levers that work nicely for me.

I guess I'll worry about it next New Years. If I end up cussing the GH2 (haven't so far) then I'll possibly get the Oly.....depending on Panasonic's next move.

12. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    No one will force you to use any of those hundreds of menu options. For most shooting, I worry about shutter speed, aperture, focus and composition. But if I want to choose a different focus mode, or switch between single shot and bracketing, or change ISO, there aren't many cameras that make it easier than a GH2. In terms of control layout, so far I only see two things that might be better on the OMD: two control dials instead of one (please, Panasonic, give us two on the GH3) and the greater number of functions that can be applied to the programmable buttons. But while a second dial would be nice, I don't find the single one on the GH2 to be a big problem, now that I've gotten used to the camera. And in spite of all the programmability, it appears the OMD forces you to the menus to change focus mode. So neither interface is without weaknesses.

As for the OMD, in spite of attempts to put words in my mouth, I wouldn't say I'm underwhelmed. It would be more accurate to say that I find all the "best camera ever" type of threads to be a bit ridiculous. Some perspective is necessary. None of the hyperbolic claims for the OMD have been tested yet. If the IBIS and AF work as well as the hype says, and IQ is as good as Oly makes it sound, it'll be a very desirable camera. But even then, comparing it to the GH2, there are pluses and minuses. It's not a slam dunk that either camera is better. It will depend on what you, the photographer, value most, and which set of trade-offs work best (or don't work the least) for you and your shooting style.

If I didn't have a GH2 already, I'd carefully read the reviews of the Oly and Panasonic, find a store where I could try them out, and decide which would work better for me. Since I have the GH2, I don't, so far, see anything in the Oly that would make me switch. I'm willing to change my mind if the reviews indicate something truly special though.

What would it take? C-AF that's on par, or at least very close, to my EOS 50D. IBIS that's significantly better than the OIS on my Panasonic. I don't think sensor performance alone would get me to switch, as I consider the GH2 to be fine for my needs. I'd need to see a major improvement to switch for that reason alone.

13. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    Just a couple of thoughts about the above: While the vertical grip is nice, I wouldn't carry it with me very often. On the flip side, the Panasonic includes a nice big horizontal grip built-in, where Oly forces you to buy the vertical grip whether you want it or not.

And the better high ISO performance comes at the cost of slightly worse low ISO IQ (assuming it's the G3 sensor, which doesn't seem certain).

I agree with you on the IBIS, if it works as claimed, but don't really care about the multi-flash control (Panasonic will do off-camera flash with a cable), weather sealing, or Oly jpegs.

14. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    my thing with the GH2 was that I spent an afternoon switching off as many of the things things they seemed to have included - all with multiple options - that were designed to make my picture taking easier.... which to me either did nothing or did things i didn't want...

this is my problem with digital cameras... too many things to fiddle with... it all seems like the engineers come up with all the cool stuff they can do... but nobody asks them to make a decision to what is actually important

I still have a low confidence on what it is actually doing at any point in time... and I am not a technological idiot...

I made my money for the last 25 years demonstrating and training people in the latest technologies in publishing, video, audio, motion graphics and photography. I have strong opinions of how the tool and the process relationship should work.

From what I have seen so far the OMD seems to be heading towards a more streamlined interface between the photographer and the camera...fewer buttons and assignable dials

still think they are missing an opportunity though... downloadable and definable presets you choose from the touchscreen on the back... want classic Cartier bresson look... got a app for that....

K

15. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Boy howdy do I agree with you. The other day I went cave exploring in a cavern we have here on the ranch I had not been into yet. They had told me about it but I was unprepared for the immensity of this hole. ( we could charge a fee for folks to tour it ) Any way, I get in there with my camera and lights and I'm seriously diggin it. Maybe hyperventilating a bit. So I come upon a nice stalactite, no make that a stalagmite and I put the camera up to my face and its in some stupid aspect ratio I'd never used before. Drat. Now I didn't even realize the aspect ration was on the SCP. Never change it. Do use the SCP every time but I had just missed it. I'm so hyped up and I'm thinking I have to delve into the menu to change back the aspect ratio and my friends are moving on in the cave. Screw it. I just shot everything in 3/2 or whatever dumb ratio I had accidentally put the camera in. Very frustrating. Small example I know but illustrative. Next time I will go through the SCP BEFORE I need to start shooting. :rolleyes:

16. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Well, you still made those choices before, but you just made them in a different form. Using a specific film with your OM-1 meant that you made a conscious choice about both white balance and ISO. You had no choice but to focus accurately to the center of the frame, or otherwise you were just guesstimating. Digital just gives us the option of changing these settings. AWB didn't work with film, so I'd contend that it works much better today than in the pre-digital age. You can adjust mid-roll for changing light sources, instead of getting blue or green tinged photos. There is no "best" NR; it's personal preference, and you made this decision too when you decided which contrast filter to expose through. Any time you give up a control, a decision is still being made, it's just being made for you, by someone who is deciding what he or she thinks is best, and is far removed from your personal style of shooting. That engineer in Japan that decided to always focus on the closest subject didn't know that I enjoy taking photos of my girlfriend while she's in a crowd. The engineer didn't have any idea that the group photo I'm taking tomorrow will be primarily lit by fluorescent lights, but sunlight will be streaming in onto the main subject. Being given those choices to adjust these settings just empowers the photographer to more accurately capture a photo. If you want the decisions made for you, look up how to engage iA mode on your camera.
    DMC-GH2 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global

If you are afraid to mess up settings, set yourself a bank of options in your custom 1, 2, and 3 menus. Let 1 be for a certain situation like indoors, 2 be for your next favorite shooting style like landscapes, and 3 for test situations, like playing with the focus mode or adjusting weird white balances.

17. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Eh... I just want a firmware upgrade for my E-P3 to add some of the E-M5 goodies.

18. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    so shnitz it seems to you that all current cameras are perfect - there is no need to investigate how to improve how the photographer accesses the facilities of the camera?...just keep adding more buttons and submenus and acronyms with attendant indecipherable icon on the screen?

I do know how to work my cameras... i actually do even know what most of the controls do..... but the current interface and indeed even the instructional manuals are not actually helping

K

19. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    Thanks for all your replies. The ones concerning the use of (buttons and dials) have also pointed me in the direction of the Pentax K5, a model that I new about but not looked into. And I must say its looking quite good IMO .
    I am in total agreement with Kevinparis . All these cameras are so full of s##t that I for one will never use, would it be that difficult to build a simple photographers camera ?

20. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    Two reason you're not likely to see that. The first is that for each of the features that you consider s##t you will never use, someone else will just love. So who decides which features are important, you or one of those other guys? Rather than eliminating features, it would be nice to be able to customize the menus to hide the things you never use, or never change, to make normal operation easier. Pansonic's Quick Menu is a first step to that, an easier way to change the more frequently used settings without having to go through all the menus, but it's still not customizable.

The second is that many of these features cost the manufacturer almost nothing to add after the initial design, since they're just software. And features, like MPs, are one of the few areas left for manufacturers to compete for hearts and minds of the buyer, since actual performance of all of these cameras is "good enough" for most buyers.