1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New... Olympus Viewer 3 1.5 PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hoffelijk, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Hoffelijk

Hoffelijk New to Mu-43

Feb 17, 2014
    Holland
    Hello Olympus enthusiasts,

To upgrade my 2007 Core2Duo Desktop i am building a new computer.

I have chosen to build this PC with the new generation of intel CPU's called Skylake and some things are very clear to me.

16 GB DDR4 RAM
    256 GB M.2 SSD
    Displayport 1.2

The question is about the CPU, i dont mind waiting a view minutes or more in Batch Processing but i do mind waiting at the Olympus Viewer App when it is refreshing my screen after an edit at EBV, Contrast or Saturation.
    At my Core2Duo this takes about 8 seconds ;)

I want to speed this up and oke clear i should take the fastest i7 but is this true? A feeling in my stomach says that maybe an i3 CPU will do the realtime refresh of screen after edit too.

The reason i want to start with an i3 is that at the moment the PC Technic has been more concentrated on other RAM, M.2, USB3.1, other PCi and less consum of energy where the extra speed of the processor was just a little bit. I would like to wait and start wit a 51 Watt CPU like the i3 and see what processor intell will bring in next year.

So my question is for those who still sometimes use OV3 as his RAW converter and sometimes do some edits before the Batch processing.
    How long does your i3, i5 or i7 processore take to refresh the Display after an Edit on a RAW image in Olympus Viewer?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  2. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    I can't speak from first hand experience, but I'm considering my own upgrade soon. While researching one person said they thought the i7-4790 was the best choice. Another thought the newer i5-6660 (I think it was 6660) was the best Skylake choice. They were both very convincing in their research.

Apparently these applications, including Lr and PS don't utilize multi-threading very well, so clock speed is still critical. Many also recommend a larger SSD, 512 plus.

3. Hoffelijk

Hoffelijk New to Mu-43

Feb 17, 2014
    Holland
    Thanks for thinking Speedliner.

All M.2 SSD's have higher read/write speeds as the common Sata-600 pipline. Larger storage isn's the issue for me but it consums 3 Watts less as an external Sata SSD.
    This is also true for the i7 6700k and i3 6100 CPU's , The i3 takes 51 Watt, the i7 95.

The question is: How long does your i3, i5 or i7 processor take to refresh the Display after an Edit on a RAW image in Olympus Viewer?

4. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I don't use OV3. And in all honesty 5 min with it now makes me understand why.

That being said my 2 year old Quad Core i7 2.6 GHz Haswell with 16GB of DDR3 takes about 1 sec to update the display after a contrast or saturation change. Personally I find 1 sec broken. ;)

5. Hoffelijk

Hoffelijk New to Mu-43

Feb 17, 2014
    Holland
    Nice
    That CPU can stand for another couple of years, i think ;)

Personally, i think that 1 sec is reasonable and maybe it is wishfull thingking of me to get the 0 sec. refresh after an edit in OV3?

6. Hoffelijk

Hoffelijk New to Mu-43

Feb 17, 2014
    Holland
    Speedliner in my case i am building a new pc from scratch and for me it is usefull to go next generation because i come from 2007 stuff.

In your case, you have expandable good 16GB of DDR3 RAM at Socket 1150 with Haswell
    When you upgrade just your CPU to i7 4790 you get almost exact benchmarks in charts as when you upgrade your Mainboard Socket to 1151 Skylake with a i7 6700 CPU.
    Both your advisors are right ;) You have to do the plusses and minus of the cost and willing to be future proof by yourself.

Vergleich: Desktop-Prozessoren im Test - CHIP

Rate 6 and 7 ;)

Ciao
    Jeroen

• Like Like x 1
  7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    OV3 is terribly slow compared to Rawtherapee.

A fast i5 is a better buy than any i7 for most apps, as few can use 8 threads.

Barry

8. Angus Gibbins

Angus Gibbins Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Angus
    Just wondering how you got on with this Hoffelijk? I've just installed Olympus Viewer 3 to play around with, have imported about 5-10GB of photos and find it horrendously slow. I'm running a 2015 MacBook Pro with an i7, 16GB RAM and an SSD so it's far from under specced. Even doing simple actions like rotating or tilting photos takes about 5-10 seconds.