1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New Olympus Rebates - Includes Lenses

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by merosen, Feb 3, 2013.

1. merosen

merosen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2012
    Somerville (Boston), MA
    Mark
    • Like Like x 5
  2. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ahh! I was to tempted to buy the FL-600R at 300, and now it's even harder at 250. I already wasted the money I had to spend though. :(

3. dino1891

dino1891 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    I KNEW there would be a rebate on the flash not too long away. Glad I waited. I was going to jump on a used fl-600r last night for $230.

Still contemplating if I want the Olympus 12mm. I passed on it this past $150 visa gift card rebate deal. It comes back to haunt me again in a different rebate.

4. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't know what to do. I also want the Olympus 12mm OR the FL-600R. If I were to get the Olympus 12mm I'd sell the 12-50mm, but being WR it's been useful.

Where did they have a 150 visa gift card? :O

5. dino1891

dino1891 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    It was with the purchase of an OM-D. I just came back to the micro four thirds system after selling off my E-PM1 and GF2 last March. I was planning on coming back sooner or later but the $150 rebate just did it for me, and I moved back.

6. dino1891

dino1891 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    I'm going to jump on the fl-600r deal. I think I spent way too much money purchasing the system I have now, in the past 3 weeks. The Olympus 12mm will have to wait until I really think I need something wider.

7. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ahh ok. :D Thank you for the fast response. I just bought the OM-D last month, and I only have the 12-50mm kit lens and the Panasonic 25mm.

8. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I wish there was a rebate that did not require having to cut out the UPC bar code from the box. I just hate mutilating the box. I know it's just a box but I take good care of my electronics and when buying used, I think of an intact box as a sign that the seller takes good care of his items.

9. dino1891

dino1891 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    Dr. Mikey, I think these are an instant rebates.

• Like Like x 1
  10. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Ooohh.. Now I'm tempted to get the flash then hehe..

But it's out of stock. Well, I have until 2/16/13 to order.

11. dino1891

dino1891 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    B&H is your friend :)

Olympus FL-600R Wireless Electronic Flash V3261300U000 B&H Photo

I am a little tempted to buy the mal-1. Dr. Mikey, it seems like you do some macro photography. I am a major noob to macro photography (and using a flash for that matter) and was wondering if you would recommend the mal-1 over a true flash for macro work. Specifically, do you know which one would be better for taking macro pics for dental work?

I know a ring flash would be ideal for intraoral macro shots. But I couldn't really find a ring flash that was meant for the m43 system.

• Like Like x 1
  12. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Aaahh... you're tempting me. Call me Mikey, btw.

Dino, I've been stubborn and don't use any flash so I tend to take a deep breath and shoot 2-3x and review on the LCD right away (and reshoot if I'm not satisfied with the sharpness).

My understanding is that for macro what you want is a ring flash. I tried buying a "macro" ring Mecabitz flash (had 2 LED lights on either side so not a true ring flash) but it was DOA so I never tried repurchasing. There should be an 43 to M43 adapter coming soon.

Another option that I saw on Robin Wong's website is to use the FL-600R (or another remote flash) and use the TTL function with the OM-D. You're going to get some harsh light this way unless you've properly angled the flash on the creature (or teeth in your case). Maybe you can try a diffuser with the FL-600R?

13. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I am so tempted to buy the flash, but I'm trying to save for a laptop for the summer when I'll need. I can always sell if I don't use it much right? lol. Ahhh. What to do?

14. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    I for one think it is a bad policy to screw the loyal customers like me who bought the EPL-5 when it came out for full price, I am going to an Olympus seminar on Tuesday and I will tell the rep how I feel. $100 is bad enough but look at the ones who bought the
    75 to 300 lens for something like $900 only to have Oly come out with one for $550.
    That means their lens may be worth $400 Of course I know we will lose money but it should be over time not in a month as Oly did with the EPL-5. I will probably never buy an OLY product new again.

15. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Early adopters always pay a premium for the privilege. Not sure why you're surprised or feel screwed, what happened is common, expected and completely normal. If you wanted the lower price you should have waited.

16. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I can definitely understand how you feel but in essence you paid that extra 100usd to be able to use the camera for an extra month. I paid for my OM-D at full price too and since then it's gone on sale by 100usd less quite frequently. I'm not complaining since I've gotten a lot of great photos during that time with that killer IBIS and new sensor.

As for the 75-300, I don't think I agree with your sentiment. The lens has been around for quite some time. If anything, at least they're manufacturing a more reasonably priced 2nd iteration of it. It's just like the iPhone or MacBooks, if you need one now then you have to pay their current asking price knowing fully well that in a few months to a year they're going to release a new one.

I got a MacBook Air and paid more for add-ons (e.g. more RAM memory and larger SSD HD). Fast forward 8mos and I got my wife a basic newer MacBook that's 400usd cheaper than mine that's as fast if not faster.

That's technology for ya.

17. Salt Peanuts

Salt Peanuts Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Haj
    It's a good thing they don't have a rebate for 75mm, though the one for 12mm is tempting me.

18. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I paid for my 9-18mm, fl600r at full price too, I also paid $750 for the 12mm, no matter what you paid, it's already done, just enjoy it, I mean you did agree with price when you purchased.

19. dino1891

dino1891 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    Yeah, it really sucks sometimes. Look at the fuji early adopters. For a fuji x-pro1 and 35mm f1.4 at the time of release, it cost $1700 + $600= $2300. Now, they are selling for $1700. If you look at it that way, their setup is now $600 cheaper.

This is really common with electronics though. When I buy my laptops, I buy with the intention of never selling it and using it until it dies. Luckily, with macs, there are crazy people out there that keep the resale values up pretty high....so I guess I have the option of reselling. But with PC's, you would get back half of your money at most.

Same thing with phones. I bought the samsung galaxy 3 a couple months after release to save myself $150. Some people can't wait for these sales, and buy at time of release for full price.

20. dino1891

dino1891 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    If you are really worried about the resale value of your gear, you need to be on the rumor sites. That way you could anticipate the release of certain models, and sell before the new models are released.

I must admit that I too worry about the resale value of my gear sometimes. But for the most part, I am happy with my gear when I purchase them and I only worry about the resale value when I am considering an upgrade and need to sell my gear to fund it.

If you never planned on selling that wonderful lens that you love, who cares if the value drops? You wouldn't have sold it anyways since you love it so much, right? Its only the gear that you aren't really in love with, that you care about the resale value. I like to sell those lenses right away to maximize the resale value. It shouldn't be idly sitting on a shelf, since your gear is not a government bond.