New Olympus products now on site

Spuff

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Olympus - PEN Lenses, Lens Converters & Adapters

Olympus - PEN Lens Converters

That's all generally interesting.
My question about the macro converter is that it states a minimum focusing distance of 24 cm, but the specs for the EPL1 14-42 kit lens is a closest focusing distance of 0.25 m. That reads like a difference of 1cm to me, am I missing something here?

I'm very eager for pricing and tests of these converters.

russell

Mu-43 Regular
Hmmm, what's the point of making an interchangable lens camera and then coming out with no new lenses but instead just gadgets that all tack on the front of the kit lens?

Spuff

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Olympus - Cameras

The EPL2 is there too, along with the Dr. Octopus arm lights.

I suppose market strategies move in mysterious ways.
Maybe in bringing out the EPL2 they are releasing everything that is ready.
I think maybe some of the lenses are new, I can't remember what was there before, the updated 14-42 is there.

The XZ-1 camera seems pretty tasty.

phrenic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Does anyone know about compatibility of the convertors with other lenses with different thread sizes? I wouldn't mind getting some extra use of my original 14-42mm or 20mm or 9-18.

Spuff

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Very interesting.

The macro converter looks good.
The wide angle looks fine on the third one, slightly curved on the second but very curved on the first. I would expect some barrel distortion on the wide angle but that city scape is very bendy almost like a fish-eye.

Kosta

Mu-43 Veteran
in some ways the accessories are a good idea - in following with the portability of the pen - so you don't need an arsenal of lenses in your bag, but much smaller attachments that give similar effects, at much lower price. this seems to be targeted to people who aren't lens savvy and want to see what it is like using "wide-angle" or "macro" without shelling out for a macro lens that is less flexible than the kit zoom.
I'd like to see what kind of results these accessories produce :)

Spuff

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I wouldn't mind getting some extra use of my original 14-42mm or 20mm or 9-18.

I've only just noticed that the specs on the converters specify the mark II 14-42 lens.
If they won't work on the original 14-42 that's really disappointing.

inI'd like to see what kind of results these accessories produce :)
You can see some results on the link Zephyr gave.

ZephyrZ33

Mu-43 Top Veteran
in some ways the accessories are a good idea - in following with the portability of the pen - so you don't need an arsenal of lenses in your bag, but much smaller attachments that give similar effects, at much lower price. this seems to be targeted to people who aren't lens savvy and want to see what it is like using "wide-angle" or "macro" without shelling out for a macro lens that is less flexible than the kit zoom.I'd like to see what kind of results these accessories produce :)

+1 Exactly.

Even though I don't see many users on this forum buying into all these attachments, it's accesibility to the average consumer definitely generates more profit for Olympus.

Aftermarket companies will find a cheaper way to provide similar products, generating more interest in the PEN series. Both factors ensure the longetivity of this m4-3 format.

ZephyrZ33

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Many here produce very impressive images with no-frills kit setups. There is no reason to believe one couldn't apply their creativity and work similar magic with the new add-ons.

You're right on both points.

I'm just trying to rationalize why they haven't announced any new lens.

I'm not going to lie. I will probably pick up that fish lens if it was the right price...just for fun.

mikegrr

New to Mu-43
Does the mark II lens have a different size attachment? Do these lenses screw on or fit by friction? That's a big deal for us who own the original lens. The fisheye does sound nice. Any idea of the price?

I saw a really cheap fisheye attachment for an e-p2 on Amazon for ~$30.00. I'm sure you get what you pay for but I was tempted as a fisheye is for special weird shots and weird angles so sharp glass might not matter as much. I didn't buy it but thought about for awhile.

Mike

Real Name
Nic
The original MZD 14-42 has a 40.5mm filter thread diameter, the new one a 37mm diameter. I'd assume the new accessories are specific to the new version of the lens.

Spuff

Mu-43 Top Veteran
There are 3 lenses quoted as master lenses - the 14-42 mkII, the 40-150 and the 14-150. It's stated that an included adpator is needed to fit a converter to the 14-42, but not the other 2 which have thread sizes of 58mm.
So, if an adaptor can make the converters work on a thread size smaller than the markI 14-42 then perhaps there is hope.

Real Name
Nic
I wonder how heavy the attachments are. Even if they could be adapted to a MkI 14-42 the focus motor would have push/pull and rotate the attachment during focusing.

russell

Mu-43 Regular

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems the macro adapter offers very little advantage.

Kit lens unadapted, closest focus 0.25m, max magnification 0.19.

Kit lens + adapter, closest focus 0.24m, max magnification 0.28.

Unless I'm missing something, that's not great. There are much cheaper, more effective (and better looking! less plasticky) legacy options, including Zuiko!

Latest threads

Top Bottom