New Olympus products now on site

Michael

Mu-43 Regular
In the last twenty odd years lens /glass coating technology has taken huge steps forward as a result accessory or supplementary lenses are practical, lighter and much smaller alternatives to additional full mount equipped lenses. Canon and in the past Leica manufactured them for their systems. I have used a few of the Canon offerings that are specific to individual cameras (Powershots and EOS) and they work really well with minimal loss of image quality. For travel they are great. I am hoping that Fuji will produce similar accessory lenses to the new Olympus products for the upcoming release of the X100. That will make the X100 a wonderful travel system, it already has good macro capability all it needs is a super wide say 20mm and an 80 or 100mm tele...

Spuff

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems the macro adapter offers very little advantage.

Kit lens unadapted, closest focus 0.25m, max magnification 0.19.

Kit lens + adapter, closest focus 0.24m, max magnification 0.28.

Unless I'm missing something, that's not great. There are much cheaper, more effective (and better looking! less plasticky) legacy options, including Zuiko!
Those focus measurements confused me too, but apprently the measurement for the kit lens is from the front of the lens, and the measurement for the converters is from the sensor.

shoturtle

The converters are all 37mm. They left the older lens owns out. But there are good macro options beside the oly. The canon 250D or 500D will mount to the panasonic 45-200. And if you get the 58mm ones, you can get a step up ring to fit the other zooms.

Grinch

Mu-43 Top Veteran
They are spec'd to the new lenses as the new lense does not have the final extension that the mkI has, or so I read in an article somewhere. And I am guessing the new lense is only available w/ kit and not sold separately, at least currently.

shoturtle

Yeah, the new lens is only in kit form right now. Who knows if it will come as a stand alone. The MKI owners are left out with their conversion lenses.

Only one I would have really been interested in was the fish. As the TC is not needed with a long zoom lens, and I have the canon 500D close up lens to mount on my long zoom.

jtsmall

New to Mu-43
Aux add-on lenses are well priced

Prices (B&H) listed as pre-order

macro $75
WA $120
Fisheye $200

The prices make sense for quality optics. For me they would be useful to keep the kit small and light. I use fisheye and macro sparingly. Wide angle is a different matter, as I use it frequently from time to time, and I would prefer the 9-18 for this reason. Still, at $120 if the performance is there, something to consider.

-jts

MajorMagee

Mu-43 All-Pro
I looked at these converters when they were first announced, but when I realized they would not work with my Gen 1 kit lens, I went ahead and bought the 9-18 mm. It cost much more than buying a new kit lens and the converter, but I'm satisfied that I probably ended up with a much better set-up to do wide angle.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom