New Olympus predictions....

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Adobres, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Adobres

Adobres Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2011
    Let's here your predictions on what the next Olympus PEN series camera will bring. or maybe just your wish list :biggrin:
  2. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Hell, how could I possibly wonder what I want when I don't know what I already have!! Such a stupid question.
  3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    not sure it will be branded as a PEN

My minimal prediction is weather sealed body with built in evf.... priced at 12-1500 USD with the 12-50 lens.

bitch and moan as much as you want... but thats my prediction

I would love a better sensor.. but wouldn'tt bet on it

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    My predictions/wishlist!

- Olympus needs to transition every camera to the Panasonic 16mp sensor or something equally good.

-Next they need to release a built-in EVF Pen body with weather sealing and magnesium alloy chassis.

- More prime lenses! Stop with the slow arse kit zooms. Preferably a 90/100mm 2.8 would be my pick.

That's about it. I consider these things within the scope of Olympus' abilities.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Look at the lenses they made for 4/3. Where are the :43: versions? It's only a matter of flange distance. Or is it? A 150-200ish equivalent prime at f2.8 or even f4 would be the logical next step. A faster normal prime would be good too. The 12/2 and the 45/1.8 were great steps forward. Cynical me thinks more niche marketed bodies is more likely :frown:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    I'm probably alone in being entirely satisfied with the current 12mp sensor and my E-P3, which is just as well as I won't be buying the next Olympus camera, however good, unless I have a lottery win. Wouldn't mind another lens or two from the existing range though.
  7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    While it may not be Pen series, I'd expect a February announcement from Olympus of their next mirrorless camera. Built-in EVF, weather-sealing, and a tilt LCD. Basically a GH2 with Pen innards (including 12MP sensor) and sealing. $1300 or so price-tag.

Until they either significantly improve their sensor or fix AF with 4/3 lenses, I don't expect to buy any Olympus bodies for some time.

8. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    While 12MP is already above most people's needs, I think it is important for Oly to move to a new sensor in order to stay competitive and for marketing purposes too. It would be good for the health of the format as a whole.Unfortunately, I highly doubt Oly has access to any other sensors so I don't see them moving away from 12MP anytime soon. Besides, they claim that E-P3/E-PL3/E-PM1 all have new sensor, not to mention they said 12MP is enough.
  9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    If Oly introduces a camera with a sensor that at least matches that in the GH2, has a built-in viewfinder, and IBIS, with controls as good as the EP-3 or GH2, I might consider buying one. Otherwise, I'll stick with Panasonic. Nothing Oly makes today interests me in the slightest.

(In truth, they'd have to offer something that significantly exceeds the GH2 to get me to spend the cash now. But what I describe above might have motivated me to choose an Oly instead of the Pan.)
  10. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I don't think it would really happen, but a camera with a viewfinder but no LCD would please me.
  11. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'll take one of those for $12, cheers!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
  13. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
  14. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    Better low light capability. Forget faster lenses, the sensor will be just fine with f3.5 lenses and IBIS. It'll keep lenses smaller and lighter. There'll still be some fast primes for bokeh, but they won't be necessary for low light anymore.
  15. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    - Larger than the EP3 is okay, with larger battery capacity, and more substantial grip - OM design - all metal
    - 12MP is okay but ISO at 100 or below if possible
    - HDR incorporated into the camera's software
    - ability to increase DR by a reduction to half the MP for any given photo (Fuji X10 etc)
    - ability to use led/lcd/backlit to name function buttons (by symbol or acronym)
    - a faster 17mm lens would be fantastic
    - don't care about Apps - I have Ipad / Iphone already

Wish / Fantasy List

- able to 4/3 lens with fast AF
    - can fit either M43 or 43 lenses without adapter (probably not possible, but I can wish)
    - new sensor
  16. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

17. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    I don't think it's the 12Mp that people aren't happy with, it's the performance of the sensor. The G3 sensor really blows it away not because it has more Mp but because it has less noise and more DR at equivalent ISO's. If they could do that at 12Mp I'd be ecstatic, but marketing forces seem to be demanding more and more Mp, so I doubt it.
  18. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

They need to add more colors!:rolleyes:

I am new to m43 , in fact still shopping but I am not fully impressed with what Oly has over Panny. However it was a friend's PEN that convinced me this format was more than a joke. For the most part they have a model that competes with every Panasonic model except the GH2 and maybe the GX.

I think they need a model that is more "pro" in design , size and function. Also be nice if it had similar video capabilities. The other thing that is needed is more lenses. I agree with what others have said , take the line of 4/3 lenses and modify them to m43 mount. I think if the electrical connection was direct it would solve the focus issues that the adapted lenses have.
  19. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Mirrorless E-5. I wish. Won't happen, but I wish.
  20. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The high ISO performance of the G3 is better, but Olympus image processing is quite good and is probably the main thing (and IBIS) differentiating them from Panasonic. I'd love to see Olympus work their magic with the Pany 16mp sensor, because I'm sure they could extract the very best from it.