New Olympus OM-D EM-5 user

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by James23p, Jul 25, 2015.

1. James23p

James23p Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2015
    James
    I am primarily a FX Nikon user but last year I got a Nikon 1 V1 and fell in love with the smaller format and how liberating a small fast system is. But in many ways the V1 just didn't fill my needs of manual control and small native lens I loved the reach with my FX lens but then the system is no longer small and light. The IQ is great but again I just didn't like the overall control.

Then came the great OM-D EM-5 sale(my words LoL) and I couldn't resist getting one at $500 with a lens. Then they put the 40-150 ED R(f3.5-f5.6) onsale for $99 and I also found a 17mm f2.8 onsale (open box) for $150 add a fotodiox grip and all of a sudden I have a fairly nice kit.

Now I have a ton of Nikon gear that is still my bread and butter when shooting weddings and such and I have a ton of Nikon film gear I still love to shoot with(I love film still). But call me crazy when it comes to walk around and vacation photos and I can see this as a serious street photography camera, I don't think I could find a better small system.

Here is a few of my initial thoughts not that means much especially from a new member. The IQ is fantastic and the speed is great! I love the control even if it did take a bit getting used to the menus but now I have it set just as I like it I even have the command dials tuned in so they are like my Nikons so it makes going back and forth a bit easier. I love the build it is fantastic and in many ways it feels like my FM3a and FE2 MF Nikons.

In the end I am very pleased and hope to add the 25mm and 45mm primes and maybe even the 12-40 f2.8 in the future. :D

Here is one of my first shots it is straight out of the EM-5 and I even used Olympus Viewer 3 to PP vs LR. I used the kit lens14-42R for these.

Again thanks all for reading my rather long rant.

Jim

_6070008. _6070043.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Welcome James23p :biggrin:.

You should try the prime lenses, so addicting. 12-40mm F2.8 is a fantastic lens too but when you attach to EM5 it will a bit from heavy. So you need vertical grip (in the future).

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Welcome and have lots of fun with us in m43 land.

• Like Like x 1
  4. James23p

James23p Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2015
    James
    I agree I have a ton of primes for my Nikon gear and the 25 and 45 are on my list first. I do have a grip for my EM-5 so I am ready when I add a larger lens but like you said primes are addictive!

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  5. James23p

James23p Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2015
    James
    Thanks for the kind welcome.

Jim

6. felipegeek

felipegeek Mu-43 Enthusiast Subscribing Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    @James23p@James23p

Welcome to the fold. I shoot with an E-M5 mk1. The lenses I always have in my bag are the Oly 25mm, 45mm and the cheap 40-150mm. I think they are all fantastic lenses with the 45 and 40-150 also being great bargains. I also sometimes carry the Oly 12-50mm mostly to use on the 12-20mm end for wide-angle. I would like to eventually get the 12-40mm as I shoot as a volunteer various events. The quality, low-light and zoom flexibility would be nice. Some days I just cart around a couple of Minolta MD lenses on adapters to re-engage the neurons from my childhood. I hope you find the same pleasure I've had with the E-M5.

Regards,

• Like Like x 1
  7. James23p

James23p Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2015
    James
    Thanks! I think I will order the Nikon F mount to m4/3 since I have a ton of old MF Nikkors as well as several AF Nikkors. But the 25 and 45 are on my list I have the 17 f2.8 Pancake that so far I like a lot so if I had to shoose the 45 will be first then the 25.

Thanks again for the kind welcome.

Jim

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.