New Olympus OM-D EM-5 user

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by James23p, Jul 25, 2015.

1. James23p

James23p Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2015
    James
    I am primarily a FX Nikon user but last year I got a Nikon 1 V1 and fell in love with the smaller format and how liberating a small fast system is. But in many ways the V1 just didn't fill my needs of manual control and small native lens I loved the reach with my FX lens but then the system is no longer small and light. The IQ is great but again I just didn't like the overall control.

Then came the great OM-D EM-5 sale(my words LoL) and I couldn't resist getting one at $500 with a lens. Then they put the 40-150 ED R(f3.5-f5.6) onsale for $99 and I also found a 17mm f2.8 onsale (open box) for $150 add a fotodiox grip and all of a sudden I have a fairly nice kit.

Now I have a ton of Nikon gear that is still my bread and butter when shooting weddings and such and I have a ton of Nikon film gear I still love to shoot with(I love film still). But call me crazy when it comes to walk around and vacation photos and I can see this as a serious street photography camera, I don't think I could find a better small system.

Here is a few of my initial thoughts not that means much especially from a new member. The IQ is fantastic and the speed is great! I love the control even if it did take a bit getting used to the menus but now I have it set just as I like it I even have the command dials tuned in so they are like my Nikons so it makes going back and forth a bit easier. I love the build it is fantastic and in many ways it feels like my FM3a and FE2 MF Nikons.

In the end I am very pleased and hope to add the 25mm and 45mm primes and maybe even the 12-40 f2.8 in the future. :D

Here is one of my first shots it is straight out of the EM-5 and I even used Olympus Viewer 3 to PP vs LR. I used the kit lens14-42R for these.

Again thanks all for reading my rather long rant.

Jim

_6070008. _6070043.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Welcome James23p :biggrin:.

You should try the prime lenses, so addicting. 12-40mm F2.8 is a fantastic lens too but when you attach to EM5 it will a bit from heavy. So you need vertical grip (in the future).

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Welcome and have lots of fun with us in m43 land.

• Like Like x 1
  4. James23p

James23p Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2015
    James
    I agree I have a ton of primes for my Nikon gear and the 25 and 45 are on my list first. I do have a grip for my EM-5 so I am ready when I add a larger lens but like you said primes are addictive!

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  5. James23p

James23p Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2015
    James
    Thanks for the kind welcome.

Jim

6. felipegeek

felipegeek Mu-43 Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    @James23p@James23p

Welcome to the fold. I shoot with an E-M5 mk1. The lenses I always have in my bag are the Oly 25mm, 45mm and the cheap 40-150mm. I think they are all fantastic lenses with the 45 and 40-150 also being great bargains. I also sometimes carry the Oly 12-50mm mostly to use on the 12-20mm end for wide-angle. I would like to eventually get the 12-40mm as I shoot as a volunteer various events. The quality, low-light and zoom flexibility would be nice. Some days I just cart around a couple of Minolta MD lenses on adapters to re-engage the neurons from my childhood. I hope you find the same pleasure I've had with the E-M5.

Regards,

• Like Like x 1
  7. James23p

James23p Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2015
    James
    Thanks! I think I will order the Nikon F mount to m4/3 since I have a ton of old MF Nikkors as well as several AF Nikkors. But the 25 and 45 are on my list I have the 17 f2.8 Pancake that so far I like a lot so if I had to shoose the 45 will be first then the 25.

Thanks again for the kind welcome.

Jim