1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

new olympus micro 4/3ds camera?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Lex, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Lex

Lex Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2009

Attached Files:

2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks Alex,

I've blown up the image... and heaven forbid, it looks like a GF1 clone!

I sincerely hope that it has more than a pop-up flash to offer over the E-P2. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Brian

3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I have yet had a need for flash, but this does look interesting. LOL, maybe I'll be ebaying my EP1...LOL.

Dj

4. Dad3*3

Dad3*3 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 21, 2010
    PA
    And I just bought an E-P2 and didn't even get a chance to sell my E-P1 yet... Guess you just can't stay on the CUTTING edge without getting a little hurt!

5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    All I see is a hand...I already got 2 of em'.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    They don't call it the bleeding edge for nothing! :rofl:

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ranger 9

Ranger 9 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2009
    My guess: It's a mu4/3 camera without the Pen retro styling cues, for people who don't care about that sort of thing and would rather have a built-in flash etc. But I don't think they'd just bring out a GF-1 clone; they'd have to add something...

...Thought: didn't this teaser appear originally on the Olympus Tough website? A weather-resistant mu4/3 camera would be a great differentiator, and something a lot of people could really use...

8. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
  9. eolake

eolake Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2009
    Lancashire, England
    Actually I think I remember that Olympus since day one has been talking about *higher*-spec'ed models to come in M4/3...

10. AJShepherd

AJShepherd Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 22, 2010
    Maybe this will be a fixed-lens compact with 4/3 sensor, called the E-Trip...!

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I played with the ad, scaling an E-P2 image to match the hot shoe size, and here's what I came up with:

Attached Files:

12. eolake

eolake Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2009
    Lancashire, England
    What can we learn from this?

13. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    look carefully at the right side, a seam that says tome .......... pop up flash

14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Well, someone on DPReview roughly scale the image, and theirs showed that the new camera is way smaller than an E-P1. It got picked up by 43 Rumors.

I scaled the images as best I could, based on the hot shoe, and came up with this, which suggests that the new camera is slightly less wide, but not by nearly as much as the other comparison showed.

Also, getting a rough sense of size helps confirm that this is almost certainly going to be a MFT camera rather than some sort of non-ILC camera.

15. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I was over at 43rumors and they were saying it might have a new kit lens and that it will have some hot new features. I'm going to be steamed if I like that camera better. LOL.