New olympus lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by oly.sol, Nov 14, 2015.

1. oly.sol

oly.sol Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2015
    Cambridge, MA
    Anyone know if olympus plans on releasing any new metal lenses like the 12, 17, or 75? I love the construction of these lenses and would love to own more of them!
  2. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    I want the 75/18 II - which will differ from the original only by the addition of the manual clutch ring. For me it is an indoor lens, so the II does not need weathersealing.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    There are rumours of f1 lenses. I suspect they'll be branded as "Pro" and be metal-bodied. OTOH, maybe it's just an unfounded rumour!
  4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    The only lens that is known to be in the pipeline is the 300/4, and yes, it's all metal.
  5. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2014
    San Luis Obispo
    It seems reasonable to surmise they will do more primes in the next year or two, since they finished up the pro zoom lineup to good reviews. A pro line of primes is a reasonable next step. But it's all speculation at the moment.

I cringe at the f1 rumor though. Big lens, small sensor is not where I want things...
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    If not ultrafast primes, what's left? I'd love to see SHG glass, f2 zooms and a long FL macro, like a 150, 2.8. MFT seems pretty well served in common options now.
  7. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    If you don't want extreme glass,'re already well served!

With the exceptions of small niches like an ultrawide prime, tilt/shift, long macro, and ultra-fast AF lenses, M4/3 really does have everything. Maybe a moderately fast weather-sealed "all-around" zoom like the 4/3 12-60 f4, I guess. There are only 2 lens ecosystems in the world right now with more options, and that's full-frame on Canon and Nikon. M4/3 already has much more selection than APS-C Canon or Nikon DSLRs, which says something...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    I've had one of my local Olympus reps dropping hints about upcoming fast primes, but maybe he just reads the same rumour sites.
  9. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    The Mitakon 25 is quite small, so maybe...
  10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Done right, they should be about the same size as full-frame f/1.8 lenses. Hardly gigantic.
  11. wonglp

wonglp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2011
    Apart from F1 rumored lenses, specialty lenses like Tilt shifts would be really drooling!
  12. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    I don't know if I'd honestly go for a 2.8/150 macro. I've taken the Tamron 180 3.5 out for a few sessions now (it's a truly great lens, haven't been posting pics because I've been spending all my spare time on my garden right now) and while it's unbelievable having that combo of reach as a tele and a macro in one lens there are a few things I think I have to share about using it, as someone who has been after a very long macro for a while...

1) the weight is just not pleasant. I'm still waiting on a pistol grip attachment for the tripod foot (I've been using an L bracket which isn't perfect, but a lot better than the bare lens). The tamron is an f3.5 and uses about as much plastic as such a lens could be built with and it's still about a kilo. A kilo is getting to a point where it's getting pretty obnoxious as to carry around, particularly if you also have to factor in adding the camera and a flash (if you are talking the FL600r/i40 - you are gonna be taking flashes) that are powerful enough to be useful from a long working distance while having still having even a little diffusion.

2) if you want internal focusing (a non-IF 150 is gonna be preeeeetty ridiculously long at 1:1) you're always going to be up against focus breathing. The main reason I picked the Tamron 180/3.5 lens over the Sigma 150/2.8 was that I found a focus breathing calculation that basically laid out that at 47cm MFD the Tamron is a 115mm lens (and the prices they were dropping at started comparing favorably with getting a good condition non-internally focusing Kiron/Dine 105). The Sigma 150 is just 95mm effective length at 38cm MFD! That's really getting to a point where you could often be better served by a plain old 90mm/2.5 macro, of which there are many many examples to chose from already.

Really have to be careful what you wish for with it - and I'm kind of glad this was like a $600 thing to find out rather than a $1000+ thing to find out :D. TBH if they decided on a very lightweight 105-120mm/f4 with an eye to keeping it as long as possible at MFD I'd be really happy with it.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Nawty

Nawty Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Do you suppose that in camera keystone comp is Oly's answer to T/S? They already use software to correct other lens issues (or rather allow themselves to concentrate on other physical parameters to get right in the glass).
  14. wonglp

wonglp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2011
    Imo it is partial answer though useful at times. As it only changes the jpeg files and not the Raw, which at times is critical for architectural shots and long exposure shots. And key compensation only does the shift, not the tilt. And I can't remember it being able to use for live functions (iirc). Cheers!
  15. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    AF F1, all metal lenses with manual clutches in 12, 14, 17.5, 25, and 42.5/45 please. Aperture rings would be to die for. Not clickless, but the ability to de-click for video please.