New Olympus Lens Roadmap

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
@Olyver Mark, I'll take the 60-250 f/4 IS that's compatible with a 1.4 TC thank you. Where can I pre-order?

But your 50-200 has to start at 40 or the 12-40 II has to be a 12-50. You can have overlap on a "Pro" set, you can't have a gap.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
In looking at the chart, I see three duplicates/overlaps
  • a "wide zoom lens" which overlaps the 7-14 and 12-40.
  • a "standard zoom lens" which seems to duplicate the 12-40/2.8
  • TWO "telephoto zoom lens" which are slightly offset from each other.
It dawned on me that one or more "might" be a lightweight lens, I hope.
This thought is because I was looking at the Panasonic 35-100/2.8 and the Olympus 40-150/2.8. The Olympus lens is 2x the weight of the Panasonic lens.
Is the extra 50mm worth that 2x extra weight?​
When I am shooting a 4-6 hour shoot, every bit of extra weight wears me down faster. So a lighter lens is definitely a plus.
This is why I got a 70-200/4 rather than the 2x heavier f/2.8 lens.​

Although the 'wide zoom' and "standard zoom" could also be FAST f/2 lenses.

upload_2019-7-8_12-16-10.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

davidzvi

Real Name
David
In looking at the chart, I see three duplicates/overlaps
  • a "wide zoom lens" which overlaps the 7-14 and 12-40.
  • a "standard zoom lens" which seems to duplicate the 12-40/2.8
  • TWO "telephoto zoom lens" which are slightly offset from each other.
This thought is because I was looking at the Panasonic 35-100/2.8 and the Olympus 40-150/2.8. The Olympus lens is 2x the weight of the Panasonic lens.
When I am shooting a 4-6 hour shoot, every bit of extra weight wears me down faster. So a lighter lens is definitely a plus.

Although the 'wide zoom' and "standard zoom" could also be FAST f/2 lenses.

View attachment 759822

Personally I'm hoping for the wide zoom to be something in the 9/10 - 30/35mm and f/4. I'd sell my PL 8-18 and have a nice lighter option for general shooting than my 12-100, 9/10mm is wide enough and I could always pick up a 7.5 fish if I really wanted wider.

I also hoping one of the telephoto zooms is a match to the 12-100mm f/4. Ideally I'd like a 75 - 225/250mm f/4.

Last edited:

JonSnih

Mu-43 All-Pro

I am on the same page. It would be nice to have something even lighter than the PL 50-200mm f2.8-4.0. The 50-200mm f4.0 could do the job nicely.

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
It is almost August and still no new lens.
My dream lens would be a 75f1.2!
my initial thought was thankfully Oly is not Sony with a 6 month release schedule........ m4/3 lens catalogue is pretty darn extensive as is and it seems all the is going to happen is some niche filling.
i'd love a 200mm F1.8 but not the price i'd have to pay for it :)
as we are 12 months out from the 2020 olympics OLY needs to pull the finger out on the 150-400 .... hoping we hear more info on release dates at least.

lucanus81

Mu-43 Regular
my initial thought was thankfully Oly is not Sony with a 6 month release schedule........ m4/3 lens catalogue is pretty darn extensive as is and it seems all the is going to happen is some niche filling.
i'd love a 200mm F1.8 but not the price i'd have to pay for it :)
as we are 12 months out from the 2020 olympics OLY needs to pull the finger out on the 150-400 .... hoping we hear more info on release dates at least.
Haha I totally agree with you:) I cannot even think about how much a 200f1.8 might cost :D
Anyway I think some of them will simply be a 12-40f2.8/40-150f2.8 with IS.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
What we need is a >100mm macro (with at least 1:1 magnification). It could be an f/4 or even slower to keep the size down.

da65

New to Mu-43
I'd like wide-angle tilt-shift and I would certainly buy a PRO 100- 250mm f / 4 with IS

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
Why? Wouldn't the f2.8 be able to do f4 without issue? Or do you mean you want f4 simply for cost considerations?
Cost and size and weight and handling. Fuji's 80mm/f2.8 Macro is double the cost and 4x (!!!) the weight of the Oly 60mm/f2.8 with the same field of view and magnification!

Any macro shot taken at 1:1 or even 1:2 will need to be stopped way down past f/4 anyway, so if that's your primary use case, the extra aperture is worthless.

f/2.8 is really only useful for people who want the lens to double as a portrait or sports lens in a pinch, or for those who are interested in extreme shallow depth of field as a novel special effect.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
Now why would you think I would be interested in this?????
I have no idea. ;)

f/2.8 is really only useful for people who want the lens to double as a portrait or sports lens in a pinch, or for those who are interested in extreme shallow depth of field as a novel special effect.
The implicit assumption made here, that the lens would not be used for autofocus bracketing and subsequent focus stacking, probably doesn't hold. For a lens obtaining magnification by extension, as is normally the case for macros, the effective aperture at 1x magnification (1:1) is two stops slower than the nominal (marked) aperture. So the maximum effective aperture of an f/2.8 macro at 1x is 5.6. For an f/4 it's f/8 and therefore entering the diffraction limited range for both 16 and 20 MP m43 sensors under the Rayleigh criterion. For future, higher pixel count sensors, f/2.8 nominal won't be fast enough to avoid diffraction onset at 1x (it's arguably already not fast enough for 20 MP). Additionally, up to the fps limit of the body and SD card, speed of bracket acquisition is gated by the shutter speed.

For example, while traditional infinity focus lens testing indicates best performance of the Panasonic-Leica 45 mm f/2.8 macro at f/4, my experience of bracketing tens (hundreds?) of thousands of frames with it is the optimum moves into the f/3 range with increasing magnification. That seems partly lens design in addition to minor decreases in diffraction and, in light limited cases where a wider aperture allows lower ISO, the reduced noise input to focus stacking can be particularly beneficial. I agree about the cost, size, and weight of a 100 f/2.8 but, pragmatically speaking, I hardly ever bracket the PL 45 at f/4 or slower.

As for Fuji, my sense is the 100-400 is the only lens in the XF line where they've given much consideration to weight. That's perhaps unfortunate as it's an area where a dedicated APS-C lens lineup could compete with Canikony.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
The implicit assumption made here, that the lens would not be used for autofocus bracketing and subsequent focus stacking, probably doesn't hold. For a lens obtaining magnification by extension, as is normally the case for macros, the effective aperture at 1x magnification (1:1) is two stops slower than the nominal (marked) aperture. So the maximum effective aperture of an f/2.8 macro at 1x is 5.6. For an f/4 it's f/8 and therefore entering the diffraction limited range for both 16 and 20 MP m43 sensors under the Rayleigh criterion. For future, higher pixel count sensors, f/2.8 nominal won't be fast enough to avoid diffraction onset at 1x (it's arguably already not fast enough for 20 MP). Additionally, up to the fps limit of the body and SD card, speed of bracket acquisition is gated by the shutter speed.

For example, while traditional infinity focus lens testing indicates best performance of the Panasonic-Leica 45 mm f/2.8 macro at f/4, my experience of bracketing tens (hundreds?) of thousands of frames with it is the optimum moves into the f/3 range with increasing magnification. That seems partly lens design in addition to minor decreases in diffraction and, in light limited cases where a wider aperture allows lower ISO, the reduced noise input to focus stacking can be particularly beneficial. I agree about the cost, size, and weight of a 100 f/2.8 but, pragmatically speaking, I hardly ever bracket the PL 45 at f/4 or slower.
Fair and valid points. My assumption was that most of the people who wanted a longer macro lens wanted it for the purposes of greater working distance to make shooting skittish critters easier, which is a workflow that doesn't really work with a tripod (at least not for me, anyway). Assuming, of course, that the insects are alive and in the wild (not freshly removed from a freezer or gassed).

I'm curious to know how useful the focus stacking modes are when you are handholding, since the DoF is typically measured in mm (or tenths of mm) in this application. I have used focus stacking in the past, but it was when my magnification was closer to 2.0x (P100-300mm with Raynox DCR-150) and I was already shooting at f/11 or f/14, so stopping down further was really untenable at that point. At that point I was just abusing the burst mode and allowing the micro-vibrations in my hands and body to create the different focus positions, like a biological macro-rail...

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
My assumption was that most of the people who wanted a longer macro lens wanted it for the purposes of greater working distance to make shooting skittish critters easier, which is a workflow that doesn't really work with a tripod (at least not for me, anyway).
It's a limiting factor with plants, too, as short working distances constrain camera and tripod placements such that it's not always possible to obtain focus or a worthwhile composition. I'm an infrequent and usually incidental insect photographer and therefore use both a nodal slide and wormdrive rail to add "working distance" from the ballhead, which is usually sufficient for the Panasonic-Leica 45 and other lenses I use with working distances down to 10 mm. There are times, though, where I'd need the 90° or rotating column tripod I don't have to get the camera into a compositionally attractive position.

Handheld insect photography's a good example of where rapid bracket acquisition is helpful for minimizing both subject and camera, er, photographer motion. Deep stacks would probably difficult but it's not uncommon I come across handheld insect images stacked from roughly 10 frames. The current state of the industry is focus bracketing doesn't integrate with flash, so there is a workflow shift to continuous lighting. Good quality continuous lights have gotten inexpensive and I've seen excellent results from minimally diffused two and three light arrangements. Not hard to adopt, I would say, but it is a different way of thinking about lighting.

I'm curious to know how useful the focus stacking modes are when you are handholding.
In general it seems to work more or less fine, albeit with some degradation in image quality which may or may not be worse than stopping down depending on the requirements. I'm unsure of the extent to which newer bodies are able to manage photographer wobbles along the image axis by varying focus but my experience with 4k post focus on the G7 (no IBIS or focus bracketing outside of 4k modes) and PL 45 (Mega OIS) is older Panasonic OIS alone isn't sufficient for the handheld macro I do. It'd probably perform better for photographers less prone to photographing little tiny plants and therefore more likely to be more stable body positions. My experiences suggest five axis IBIS would definitely be valuable for the xy and roll stabilization, which is consistent with the experiences of the E-M1 II, G85, and G9 users I'm aware of who do handheld or semi-handheld focus bracketing. No data for other Olympus or Panasonic bodies.

A stabilization method I know several macro photographers use is to push against a monopod for z axis stabilization and let IBIS or dual IS take care of the rest. There's a number of ways of doing variations on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom