New Olympus Lens Roadmap and Pro Body on the Way?

Amin Sabet

Administrator
According to 43 Rumors, Olympus will be releasing 3 new lenses in the spring of 2011 (in addition to a 75-300mm lens to be released this month).

Based on the placement of dots in the attached image, the rumored lenses closely parallel current Panasonic offerings:

• ~50mm macro
  • ~8mm fisheye
  • ~12mm wide prime
Conspicuously absent:

• Fast zoom
  • Fast short tele (portrait)
More interesting still is a rumor about a new "pro" spec Olympus Micro 4/3 body which is weatherproof with a new Panasonic sensor and built-in viewfinder to be released by June 2011. Sounds like wishful thinking, but I'm ready to be surprised!

Source: 43 Rumors | Blog | (FT4) Olympus will go "PRO" within the first half of 2011!

<!-- AddThis Button END -->

Attachments

JCD

Mu-43 Veteran
Just when I thought it was safe not to think about anymore new cameras!

The lenses sound great, but that new camera sounds extremely interesting. :biggrin:
I agree, but I'm still waiting for a portrait lens :frown:

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
This is not a new rumour but it does seem to have fresh legs.

The lenses were on the Olympus roadmap before Photokina.

The potential body does sound very interesting, especially in light of where Panasonic took the GF2.

linkedit

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Since Panasonic has clearly taken the lead in the m43 format, I'd expect to see this forthcoming Oly pro spec camera to be very similar to the GH2. The G1, G2, and GH1 have probably sold very well for Panasonic. Since they do not have a body like that now, I'm sure that they would love some of that market segment.

I (as some of us here) would love to see a pro spec camera in a RF format. I would buy an updated e-p2 type with optical viewfinder, faster autofocus, updated sensor, etc. in a heartbeat. I just don't think it will happen.

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
Olympus has shown with the E-5 they can build cameras with the best of them, at a much lower cost. Hopefully that approach will migrate to the new camera.

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
I would hope the pro camera exceeds the GH2 and is more like their E series. rugged and tough. Though, the lenses they have don't really match that, so it may be overkill.

I really hope that 12 is indeed a 12. And that it's a pancake. Oly will then have my money.

carpandean

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I really hope that 12 is indeed a 12. And that it's a pancake. Oly will then have my money.
I did find it interesting that the 17mm says "Pancake" in its little blue circle, while the 12mm says "Wide" like the 9-18mm. The 14mm Panny edged out the 17mm Oly for king of compactness (on pure size, not necessarily the best performing pancake, which is the 20mm Panny), but it isn't clear that the 12mm will take back the crown.

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
Well, I'm not suprised that they aren't going to do a faster zoom lens. Some people like me would embrace a faster zoom, but I think Olympus sees it too big for the system or redundant for the system.

I would be interested in the 12mm pancake, thats for sure.

linkedit

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'm still hopefull for a 10mm from Panny or Oly. I used to have a 20mm f/2.8 for my F3 in the 80's. It was by far my favorite lens.

Janis

Mu-43 Regular
Just when I thought it was safe not to think about anymore new cameras!

I agree! It was already killing me to hold off till March and now we may have to wait till June to make a decision! 2011 looks like a very interesting year. In the meantime I play with my epl1 all the time, esp. the art filters and image overlay. I hope whatever oly does next includes even more art filters and effects.

Boyzo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This new body sounds just the ticket for me :smile:
Pro body = Pro Photographer cant wait :tongue: :rofl: :thumbup:
Agree Amin where are the Short fast zooms or primes :mad:

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I realy, really hope that Olympus doesn't bring out a 'pro-spec' body that emulates a DSLR, aka Panasonic. Leave that paddock to Panasonic. The current Olympus m4/3s design is excellent and only needs a built in viewfinder to be complete from a design point of view. Just make the rest of the body durable and you have a pro-spec camera.

Cheers

Ray

everythingsablur

Mu-43 Veteran
While I'd love to see a "pro" spec m43 body, I can't help but wonder how Olympus is going to fully pull that off. A weather sealed body without any weather sealed lenses (and a grand total of 0 current m43 lenses are sealed) is pretty useless. I can see them getting the processing side of a higher end camera down (faster shot to shot, huge buffer, etc.), but the physical side of things is going to be tough short of releasing another line of accompanying sealed, pro lenses (we can all dream!).

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
While I'd love to see a "pro" spec m43 body, I can't help but wonder how Olympus is going to fully pull that off. A weather sealed body without any weather sealed lenses (and a grand total of 0 current m43 lenses are sealed) is pretty useless. I can see them getting the processing side of a higher end camera down (faster shot to shot, huge buffer, etc.), but the physical side of things is going to be tough short of releasing another line of accompanying sealed, pro lenses (we can all dream!).
Weathersealing isn't by which pro bodies are judged; it may be one feature of a pro body (Nikon has done without for years), but it's features such as ruggedness, operational longevity, tech support, etc that you find on pro-bodies that classes the body as pro.

Cheers

Ray

jlabate

Mu-43 Regular
Agreed. Love the Pens design best (although I have a G1 also) and the Pen"s in-body IS and the ability to set it to the focal length manually when using adapted lenses. Add the built-in EVF and up the built quality and sensor a bit and we're there.

I realy, really hope that Olympus doesn't bring out a 'pro-spec' body that emulates a DSLR, aka Panasonic. Leave that paddock to Panasonic. The current Olympus m4/3s design is excellent and only needs a built in viewfinder to be complete from a design point of view. Just make the rest of the body durable and you have a pro-spec camera.

Cheers

Ray

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom