1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New Olympus Lens Roadmap and Pro Body on the Way?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    According to 43 Rumors, Olympus will be releasing 3 new lenses in the spring of 2011 (in addition to a 75-300mm lens to be released this month).

Based on the placement of dots in the attached image, the rumored lenses closely parallel current Panasonic offerings:

• ~50mm macro
    • ~8mm fisheye
    • ~12mm wide prime
    Conspicuously absent:

• Fast zoom
    • Fast short tele (portrait)
    More interesting still is a rumor about a new "pro" spec Olympus Micro 4/3 body which is weatherproof with a new Panasonic sensor and built-in viewfinder to be released by June 2011. Sounds like wishful thinking, but I'm ready to be surprised!

Source: 43 Rumors | Blog | (FT4) Olympus will go "PRO" within the first half of 2011!

<!-- AddThis Button END -->

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Just when I thought it was safe not to think about anymore new cameras!

The lenses sound great, but that new camera sounds extremely interesting. :biggrin:

3. JCD

JCD Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 10, 2010
    Palermo, Italy
    I agree, but I'm still waiting for a portrait lens :frown:

4. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    This is not a new rumour but it does seem to have fresh legs.

The lenses were on the Olympus roadmap before Photokina.

The potential body does sound very interesting, especially in light of where Panasonic took the GF2.

• Like Like x 2
  5. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Since Panasonic has clearly taken the lead in the m43 format, I'd expect to see this forthcoming Oly pro spec camera to be very similar to the GH2. The G1, G2, and GH1 have probably sold very well for Panasonic. Since they do not have a body like that now, I'm sure that they would love some of that market segment.

I (as some of us here) would love to see a pro spec camera in a RF format. I would buy an updated e-p2 type with optical viewfinder, faster autofocus, updated sensor, etc. in a heartbeat. I just don't think it will happen.

6. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Olympus has shown with the E-5 they can build cameras with the best of them, at a much lower cost. Hopefully that approach will migrate to the new camera.

7. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I would hope the pro camera exceeds the GH2 and is more like their E series. rugged and tough. Though, the lenses they have don't really match that, so it may be overkill.

I really hope that 12 is indeed a 12. And that it's a pancake. Oly will then have my money.

8. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I did find it interesting that the 17mm says "Pancake" in its little blue circle, while the 12mm says "Wide" like the 9-18mm. The 14mm Panny edged out the 17mm Oly for king of compactness (on pure size, not necessarily the best performing pancake, which is the 20mm Panny), but it isn't clear that the 12mm will take back the crown.

9. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Well, I'm not suprised that they aren't going to do a faster zoom lens. Some people like me would embrace a faster zoom, but I think Olympus sees it too big for the system or redundant for the system.

I would be interested in the 12mm pancake, thats for sure.

10. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    I'm still hopefull for a 10mm from Panny or Oly. I used to have a 20mm f/2.8 for my F3 in the 80's. It was by far my favorite lens.

11. Janis

Janis Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2010
    Central Texas

12. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    This new body sounds just the ticket for me :smile:
    Pro body = Pro Photographer cant wait :tongue: :rofl: :thumbup:
    Agree Amin where are the Short fast zooms or primes :mad:

13. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I realy, really hope that Olympus doesn't bring out a 'pro-spec' body that emulates a DSLR, aka Panasonic. Leave that paddock to Panasonic. The current Olympus m4/3s design is excellent and only needs a built in viewfinder to be complete from a design point of view. Just make the rest of the body durable and you have a pro-spec camera.

Cheers

Ray

14. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    While I'd love to see a "pro" spec m43 body, I can't help but wonder how Olympus is going to fully pull that off. A weather sealed body without any weather sealed lenses (and a grand total of 0 current m43 lenses are sealed) is pretty useless. I can see them getting the processing side of a higher end camera down (faster shot to shot, huge buffer, etc.), but the physical side of things is going to be tough short of releasing another line of accompanying sealed, pro lenses (we can all dream!).

15. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Weathersealing isn't by which pro bodies are judged; it may be one feature of a pro body (Nikon has done without for years), but it's features such as ruggedness, operational longevity, tech support, etc that you find on pro-bodies that classes the body as pro.

Cheers

Ray

16. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2010
    Agreed. Love the Pens design best (although I have a G1 also) and the Pen"s in-body IS and the ability to set it to the focal length manually when using adapted lenses. Add the built-in EVF and up the built quality and sensor a bit and we're there.

17. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Is anyone aware of a newer version of Olympus's roadmap?

18. Just getting comfortable with the GF-1. The camera has me thinking.