1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Olympus Kit lens Built Quality

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Bhupinder2002, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Friends
    I used to have EPL1 and almost always used panyy 20 mm with it but I was not unhappy with optical performance and built quality of 14-42 mm supplied with it. Later on I bought EPL2 and kit lens was of quite good quality. But now the new kit lens supplied with EPL3 looks and feels quite cheap. The front ring falls off quite often . I compared it with previous generation 14-42mm and it looks good and smaller in size , optical quality is almost same but built quality isn't the same. Ditto with 40-150 and when I compare it with Panasonic 45-200mm -there is no comparison from quality and feel.Panny is rock solid and performs beautifully as well.
    Please share your feelings

2. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I had the original Oly 14-42 kit zoom with my E-PL1. And it was fine. I now have the latest 14-42 II R kit zoom with my E-PM1. I have no problems with the new lens... but it does feel lighter, which no doubt adds to the camera's fast auto-focus speeds compared with previous generation Oly micro four-thirds cameras. But I haven't experienced any pieces falling off... at least not yet.

3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The only nice quality Olympus lens is the 12 f/2. Olympus seems to be making awesome bodies, but the lenses are really lacking build quality.

4. Allan Ostling

Allan Ostling Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 24, 2010
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Balderdash. The M. Zuiko 45mm f1.8 is a little jewel.

5. Lili

Lili Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 24, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    I have both the MK1 and MK2 kit lenses.
    I far prefer the latter's build quality.

6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA

The 45 is optically beautiful, but that outer barrel is very cheap plastic. The PL 25 1.4 in comparison feels much more solid.

7. Bhupinder2002

Don't know Lili but I am quite disappointed . Look at 17 mm , it's great .I had 14-150 n it was also fantastic but this thing feels very cheap . Look a new panny
    Kit lens ..very well built .. Anyway let's hope it doesn't fall apart lol .. I am intending to get rid of them as soon as possible ..

8. ronbot

ronbot Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2010
    Same here. Also, I much prefer the 14-42 II than the Canon 18-55mm that I've used.

I haven't held a Pany 45-200mm but I have no complaints with my 40-150mm (non-R). It is small and light with good enough optics all for $150.

I tried the E-PM1 at a store and think that the black mat finish on the kit lens works well. At least it comes with the front ring; my version doesn't.

My only quibble is that no hood or pouch comes with any Olympus m4/3 lens. Where as my old E-510 dual lens kit, each lens came with a hood. I'm not gonna pay Olympus $40 for a LH-40B for my 45mm or $25 for a LH-55B for my 9-18mm. Those lenses are not even cheap. At least, the Pany 20mm comes with a pouch but is even cheaper. Sorry for the rant.

9. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I can add that the new Olympus kit lens freezes in the cold weather - its zoom and focusing rings stop turning and the lens becomes useless. Even the much maligned Panasonic 14-42 doesn't suffer from this.

10. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I also prefer the 14-42 II than the 14-42 I. Lighter, sleeker, focus quicker also. Just like my Oly 14-150mm, the Oly m4/3 lenses (except the 12mm) feels more plasticky when compared to the Panny m4/3 lenses, but I believe that is intentional. Look at the quality of the 4/3 lenses made by Oly. They definitely know how to make good quality lenses. I believe they intentionally made the m4/3 lenses this way to save weight, as compactness is a big asset of the m4/3 system. I tried both the Panny 14-140mm and the Oly 14-150mm before deciding on the Oly primarily because of the weight difference.

So, I wouldn't worry too much about the lens feeling cheap. My dad dropped on to the ground before, and it still works perfectly. So, enjoy the weight advantage, and you can always remove the front-end ring of the 14-42 II, which is just for decoration purpose anyway! =)

11. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    That is disappointing to hear! I guess I will have to keep my kit lens from cold weather!

12. Bhupinder2002

I don't have any problem from optical performance or focusing point of view . It's fantastic but It feels so plasticy to touch and the ring in front comes off so quickly . May b I have a faulty piece .. Lol

13. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    That is shocking indeed. I've never had camera gear fail like that. I wonder if the Oly 9-18 and 40-150 are also susceptible to the deep freeze?

14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I'm OK wiht plastic lens bodies as long as the mounts are metal. As much as I love it, however, the Panny 12-32 kit lens has been known to lose it's zoom ring:biggrin::
    Faulty Panasonic 12-32mm Zoom Rings

15. JuhoMadCraft

JuhoMadCraft New to Mu-43

Dec 29, 2015