New Olympus EP-# In The House

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BobbyD, May 17, 2013.

1. BobbyD

BobbyD Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I'm an owner of a brand new Olympus EP......wait for it.......3. That's right I just picked up a brand EP-3. I know the EP-5 is the latest and greatest and the EP-3 is yesterdays news. But, I still like the image quialty of my EPL1, but sometimes the controls drive me nuts. So that was the main reason for the upgrade. That and the 1080 video and of course that EP-3 body. I thought the price was such a great deal and i don't see it going much lower over the next couple of years. The EP-5 is to die for and I may own it at some point, but not at $1K.

I'm in a very strange place right now. I've been a Canon fan boy from day one. There has never been a day when I thought about another brand until the last couple of years. I've had serveral Canon bodies and lens over the yeas. When I got into compacts, of course they were Canon's. The Olympus EPL1 changed that for me. I started looking for a smaller system because I didn't always want to carry around 10 or 12 pound of camera gear. It's such a great time with so many compact systems on the market. I've always liked ranger finder type cameras. So that's one reason I like the PEN seris. But now I'm looking at the Fuji X seris. I don't know what it is about the E-X1 every time I see It I hear music. I don't know why because I've never taken a shot with it or for that matter even held one. So will I end up with an Olympus kit or a Fuji kit or both. I may pick up the X10/20 later this year to try out to see if the Fuji is for me. But for now the Canon gear isn't getting much love because of the new EP-3.

2. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    hey, congrats on your camera :)

sounds like a nice upgrade, adding new features, better image quality, more external controls and the value is unbeatable. i know what you mean about the fuji cameras - their aps-c models shoot stupendous looking pics and the controls are awesome, but i wouldn't want one as my only camera due to the limited number of lenses. still, they are definitely drool-worthy!

i have to admit, i'm waiting on the E-P5 to be released and drop a little in price (or for a great sale like the one last mothers day), but the E-P3 is not only a good camera - it's still the current model for just a little while longer.

3. Strick

Strick Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Rob
    Welcome to the club!! The EP3 is a great camera. I'm loving mine more and more every day.

The EP5 looks awesome and more betterer :biggrin: in every way, shape, and form but I still have a nice love affair with my EP3.

4. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    There is much to be said for the E-P3, especially with the optional larger grip (for those with larger hands). Have a look at some of the photographs on this Flickr group taken with the camera.

5. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Very good Bob. Now go practice the spelling of "Olympus" :biggrin:

6. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    ep****

The EP-5 will be yesterdays news in two years. In the mean time, you can enjoy your EP-3 and build up some nice lenses for the EP-***

7. kmack

kmack Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 12, 2012
    I've been considering the same move.

8. BobbyD

BobbyD Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Slothead, I said I have a new camera, not that I could type:wink:

9. BobbyD

BobbyD Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2012
    Alabama
    It was worth the move. The EP3 controls are great to use. It will take some time to get them all down. But so far I love the camera. :thumbup:

10. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Waiting for the EP5, I'm thinking getting an EP3 if I find a good deal even if I have an Epl5.

But it's difficult to get good deals here in Italy: used its still around 450 euro and new around 600/650 euros:hmmm::eek:mg::eek:

11. BobbyD

BobbyD Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I found a deal for $350. US. I don't think it will get much lower anytime soon. I think it's a bargain at that price.

12. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have 2 E-P3s that I bought used here. One gas 1400 on the shutter. The second on had 100. Both I got for in the $200 price range. Deals can be had here in the marketplace.

I love these cameras.

13. BobbyD

BobbyD Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2012
    Alabama
    My new EP-3 is broke. I tried to use the pop up flash last night and the flash never charges. The charge indicator just flashes but never stays on. Of course it want make an exposure with the flash up. I hope the have one I can exchange it for.

14. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Sorry to hear that.

15. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Just got a used EP3 body only in mint condition with 2 spare batteries and Garitz leather half-case for 280 euros. Picking it up Monday afternoon, can't wait. Even if I have an Epl-5.:biggrin:

16. BobbyD

BobbyD Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I was able to exchange for another EP3. So I 'm good to go for now.

17. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just shot a concert with 2 E-P3s... :)

18. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Poor concert.:eek:Is it still alive?:rofl:
    Just joking of course. Post some photos.

19. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
  20. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Awesome shots. Can you post which lens you used and iso?
    Did you pp?
    Thanks.