1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Olympus EM-10 coming soon ..

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Bhupinder2002, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Only Olympus counts 5-1-10...

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 6
  3. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Need more specs!! Gahh! This wait is killing me. :smile:

4. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    God said to Moses,"...What is that in thine hand?". His weapon, to extract one slave nation, out of another.

Use what you have in hand. The moments, sights and memories are fleeting away, while we look for a new tool!

OOCH! I needed that. :eek:

• Like Like x 3
  5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Well I just bought my M1 so for a while I'll not read rumors:rolleyes:

6. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    And it supposed to be much, much better than the EM-1. :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Someone always expresses this thought in a rumors thread, and I just don't get it. How many people who spend time reading camera rumor sites don't have a camera and are missing the opportunity to capture memories?

• Like Like x 1
  8. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Well, it IS supposed to be cheaper. I think the more relevant question is how much better it is going to be than the E-M5

• Like Like x 1
  9. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Exactly. I'm going to wait to see what the E-M10 is really like before pulling the trigger on any of the Oly OM cameras. If it's substantially better than the E-M5 in areas that I care about and is only slightly more expensive, then great. That'll be what I buy. If not, I'll pick up an E-M5 (which might even be discounted a bit more). The E-M1 is a bit too expensive for me at the moment and is almost the same size as my Pentax K-5 and K-30 (especially the K-30).

• Like Like x 1
  10. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    I wonder if the person responsable for Olympus model numbering is the same person that designs the user interface.

They started with EM-5, the up-graded model is then EM-1, dumbed down EM-5 is now EM-10, or is it an upgraded EM-1?

Why didn't they start with OMD-1 and run through the numbers with up-grades, and give the double digit numbers to dumbed down versions eg (EM-10) OMD-10

Surely they must have learned from their heritage like the OM1, OM2, OM3, OM4 with the OM10 being a diluted OM1

I don't think Canon or Nikon are any better, I have lost track of their model numbering

11. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    1d
    5d
    7d
    60d
    70d
    600d
    700d

12. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What is with Olympus and their numbering!??? First we have the E-M5, odd to start a new camera with 5 but whatever. Then they go back to E-M1. Now it is E-M10 but it is suppose to be the replacement for the E-M5 and not a watered down E-M1.:doh:

What I want is an E-M5 with focus peaking! Any other improvements are welcome of coarse.

• Like Like x 1
  13. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    :biggrin:

I also wanted an E-M4 with focus peaking...so I bought the M1.

• Like Like x 1
  14. boostin

boostin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2013
    you could hack e-m5 for focus peaking, i wanna real focus peaking and wifi i got e-p5. :biggrin:

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I'm curious to see what was improved and what was left off. OTOH, I just got a refurb EM5 and am still in the honeymoon phase.

16. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Ok here is my wild conjecture and what we might expect from the Olympus EM-10. First rumors say...
    1) It will be called the EM-10
    2) The EM-5 will remain in production

Both these suggests that the EM-10 is going to be a 'lower model' of the OMD brand rather than an EM-5 replacement. Now Olympus has a habit of bring the 'technology' from its higher end models down through its lower end models, so it is likely to have a lot of the E-M1 technology features. Where it is likely to miss out is in build quality and weather sealing.

In fact, my guess is that we have pretty much already seen how the EM-10 will turn out with the Olympus Stylus 1.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#494,289,ha,f

As you can see from the size of the Stylus 1 compared to E-M5, there is probably no practical reason why the Stylus 1 body cannot be used on an EM-10 - the lens mount looks about the same size.

So if that is the case, what can we expect?
    1) A lighter plastic body weighing in at around 325g compared to 425g for the E-M5
    2) EVF same as the E-M5
    3) A pop-up flash - well the Stylus 1 has one
    4) IBIS? Not even sure if Stylus 1 has IBIS but I suspect that the E-M10 will have fairly basic IBIS
    5) A movable LCD screen

Pricing? Well the Stylus 1 is priced at US$699 - I would guess the EM-10 will be similarly priced. Big sensor of course compared to the Stylus but no 2.8 zoom lens.

• Like Like x 1
  17. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I'll be happy if the release drives the price of the E-P5 down. I can dream . . . :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I'm kind of with Rob on this, although I think fewer explicit controls will be on the OM10. It will play the role the E-PMx plays in the Pen series.

19. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I don't think you're being unreasonable with your dreaming, Bob. It may very well happen. That's why I'm waiting to see what happens.

20. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    We'll theoretically if the E-P5 price was going to fall because of poor sales it would have fallen already. This camera model has done incredibly badly for Olympus. The pricing was insane at launch and is still pretty ridiculous. You can currently but a GX7 US$150 cheaper.