1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Olympus E-P1 user

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Shinka, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Shinka

Shinka Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 19, 2010
    Lawrence, KS, USA
    Hello everyone. I've been lurking around for a few weeks now as I made my decision on what camera to buy. Now that my camera has arrived, I thought I'd introduce myself.

I ended up going the Olympus route for the internal stabilization (which I'm used to from my Sony cameras). I also love the retro styling. When I found an old G.Zuiko 40mm f/1.4 lens for $100 bucks, it seemed like the perfect match.

It would be nice to have the E-P2, but since I didn't feel like I could justify $900 for a second camera, I went with E-P1 when I found one for $450 on eBay. I also like the silver and black of the E-P1.

I actually got the lens before I got the camera, but the E-P1 kit with the 14-42 zoom arrived yesterday.

Here's the combination. Looks like a perfect match. I'm using the Fotodiox adapter.
    4717550328_65d5970d99_b.

I couldn't be happier with this combination. The lens is fantastic wide-open.
    4716897139_591c282f2b_b.

I'm liking the bokeh as well (though I slightly mis-focused on this pic):
    4717565386_e0a37d7d75_b.

I'm hoping to be more active as I use my E-P1 as my walk-around camera. My Sony a850 (which I love) will stick around, but it's too bulky and heavy for casual use.

I'm not sure I'm going to be getting much use out of the kit lens (I like prime lenses and fast apertures). My next purchase is probably going to be the Panasonic 20/1.7.

I'm looking forward to the future of :43:.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Shinka

Shinka Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 19, 2010
    Lawrence, KS, USA
  3. nokiamia

nokiamia Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2010
    Malaysia
    wow, you have an amazing set of photography tool. the full-frame a850 has long been something i'm dreaming of having.

welcome to the world of micro 4/3!

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Welcome and congratulations Shinka! I couldn't agree with you more about the superb style of the E-P1 and am sure you're going to fall even more in love.:biggrin:

Please be sure to post your cat photo, or any other cat photo here: https://www.mu-43.com/f54/words-no-words-requisite-kitty-picture-3788/ and thanks for that video, too... You might want to check out the Video Corner forum later on.

Looking forward to your involvement here.:thumbup:

5. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Shinka, and welcome :friends:

That's a fantastic demo of the lens... now why can't Olympus give us a native 40mm f1.4 lens for m4/3rds?

Cheers

Brian

6. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Welcome !

Great pictures you made here.

Don't overlook that kit lens, though; in its ways, it's a solid performer on the wide end. The 20mm is a great normal, very nice bokeh, you'll be happy !

7. nokiamia

nokiamia Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2010
    Malaysia
    exactly brian. olympus has a great line up of micro 4/3 cameras... but very poor offering of prime lenses. hope they're working on it.

8. Shinka

Shinka Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 19, 2010
    Lawrence, KS, USA
    Wow, what fast responses. Thanks for the warm welcome. The a850 is a fantastic camera, nokiamia. I feel like it also has some retro styling to it with that big pentaprism viewfinder. And I love using 25-year-old Minolta lenses on it. I have actually had the opportunity to do some commercial photography with it recently and couldn't be more pleased with the results.

I really do hope Olympus/Panasonic works on their prime lens line ups. I've also seen the rumors where Pentax might be developing some primes for m4/3, which would just be fantastic.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hello, welcome here !