1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New Olympus E-M10, 14-42mm EZ Lens (pancake), 25mm f/1.8 M Lens, and 9mm f/8 Fisheye Announced

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Olympus has officially announced the E-M10 along with three new lenses: 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ zoom, 25mm f/1.8 M, and 9mm f/8 fisheye.

The E-M10 is the smallest OM-D model yet. It is also the least expensive, selling for $699 body only or $799 kit. Unlike the E-P5, E-M5, and E-M1, all of which feature Olympus' 5-axis body image stabilization, the E-M10 offers 3-axis stabilization. It is not yet clear whether this will have any practical consequences.
    olympus_v207020bu000_om_d_e_m10_mirrorless_micro_1026111.
    The 25mm f/1.8 lens, long awaited, can be pre-ordered for $399
    B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1026123-REG/olympus_v311060bu000_25mm_f_1_8_m_lens.html
    Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-V311060BU000-Interchangeable-Panasonic-Digital/dp/B00HWMP0XG/
    Adorama: http://www.adorama.com/IOM2518MB.html

The new 14-42mm EZ lens is a pancake, collapsing design, selling separately for $349.

The 9mm fisheye is a bodycap lens and will sell for $99: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...s_v325040bw000_bcl_0980_fisheye_body_cap.html

• Like Like x 7
  2. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Excellent news! I think the E-M10 is probably the most well-balanced and well-priced camera in the whole Olympus Micro 4/3 line-up.

It could be a very nice alternative to Panasonic GX7. There are only 2 things missing compared to the GX7:

- highest shutter speed is "just" 1/4000 instead of 1/8000
    - the EVF is not tilting (but I suspect the EVF itself is better because Panasonic's EVF is 16:9 and this one is 4:3).

It's also cheaper compared to the GX7.

However, as far as I can see, it has the same ergonomic deficiencies as the original OM-D E-M5: the rear control dial is too close to the EVF and the shutter button is still located rather awkwardly. Not to mention the same arcane menu system.

The new 25mm lens is also very interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  3. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I wonder what the size difference is between this and the E-P5? I take this is weather sealed, right? If it is, it brings up a good question, EM-5(used or refurb) or EM-10, seeing as both are around the same price with similar sensor performance.

Also, is the E-PMx and E-PLx line also 3-axis or...?

4. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    To me the killer feature of this offering is the - EM10 plus pancake zoom at US$799 - my guess is that most buyers will want this kit zoom and the 'kit combination' puts its pricing well below the GX7 or even an EM5 refurb.

I can see this combination being very popular with FF camera owners looking for a travel camera. It has an EVF and twin dials, is almost impossibly small with the kit lens and if you add a 25 1.4 (and consider IBIS) you have a pretty good low light camera as well.

5. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
  6. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Very impressed with Olympus here. While I wish it were weather-sealed (andI'm always going to complain about this, haha), I think this is possibly the best balance of features and price point I've seen on a Micro Four Thirds camera, or indeed almost any camera from any manufacturer. Besides, making it weather sealed would have practically made it as good as the E-M5(with just slightly worse IBIS). In fact, I wouldn't even consider this inferior to the E-M5 at this point, since thogh it loses the weather sealing, it gains some other nifty features. Having the eye sensor disabled when you tilt the screen is a tiny touch that makes the E-M1 so pleasant to use on the streets, for example, and Wi-Fi is a huge boon. Even as a RAW shooter, I like having wi-fi on my cameras for the quick share with friends.

One note on the dials being too close; am I the only one who controls both dials with his index finger? In other words, controlling the rear dial by moving it from the top or edge with your index finger. It takes a tiny bit of getting used to when you're accustomed to the normal system, but it I find it both is easier to control in the limited space and gives me a better grip on the camera, as my thumb never has to move. With a traditional two dial system, it's hard to maintain your grip on the camera with one hand when moving your thumb to change the rear dial. Just a suggestion!

• Like Like x 1
  7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    E-M10 does not have any form of weather-sealing. Dimensions for the E-P5 are 122 x 69 x 37 mm (4.8 x 2.72 x 1.46″)
    vs. 119 x 82 x 46 mm (4.69 x 3.24 x 1.81″) for the E-M10.

$799 is with the 14-42II R. Pricing for the pancake zoom kit hasn't been given for the US, but I'd guess it will be substantially more.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    preordered my fisheye bcl!

• Like Like x 1
  9. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    For a couple of dollars more, couldn't Olympus have put a bloody filter thread on the BCL9?????!!!!!! :dash2::dash2::dash2:

10. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    OK - rant over - sort of - is this a rectangular fisheye or a UWA?
    The sample pics on the Oly site show no fisheye distortion.... the angle of view is 140 deg compared to 114 deg of the Panny 7-14 @7mm....

11. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Anyone else disappointed at the 25mm price point? Really thought it would come in at $299 or the low $300's.... As it is currently for about $130 more you get F/1.4, likely better build quality and a lens hood among the other legendary traits (including amazing AF) of the PL 25mm.... Hmmm...

12. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Me too…

13. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The thing is that they have rebates and discounts so often that MSRP doesn't usually mean a whole lot. I mean look at the 17/1.8 - it's nominally a $500 lens, but everybody I know who has it got it for $400-$450. Granted the 25/1.8 is new, but I still wouldn't be surprised to see some discounts within a fairly short period of time.

Frankly, I'm just glad to have something else that helps wash away the bad taste of the 17/2.8.

14. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    well I can get an 'in perfect condition' Pan Leica for the same or slightly less used so that has settled any doubts in my mind about what to go for. Now the camera looks tempting and I will put in a pre order for the 9mm in the next day or so, looks like it could be interesting stuck on my EP1.

15. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    ^^^ This is true but I suspect your looking at a similar price difference again when you compare used to used in the near future when this lens makes it way to the used market... Likely sell at the same $300 used price point like the Oly 45mm

While thats true it would have been nice to have a price point a bit lower right off the bat. I think a price point of $329 or thereabout would have been more appropriate for this lens and it would have sold extremely well. That isn't to say it won't anyways. If ONLY Panasonic had improved the P20mm's AF with the Mark II version all my problems would have been solved in getting a lens in that FL range (pancake, IQ + great AF... sadly its missing that 3rd one). Now Im just scratching head AGAIN, lol.

16. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm f/1.8 Lens (Black)
    LC-46 Lens Cap for Select M.Zuiko Lenses
    260056 LR-2 Rear Lens Cap For E-P1 Lenses
    LH-49B Lens Hood
    DR-49 Decoration Ring
    Limited 1-Year Warranty

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Your right it does according to the B&H listing... I guess there is that then! Also a tad better MFD by 2" over the PL25mm.

Size difference between the three lenses & MFD that most are likely to be compared FYI

PL 25mm: 2.48 x 2.15", MFD = 11.81"
    Oly 25mm: 2.2 x 1.6", MFD = 9.4"
    P 20mm: 2.48 x 1.00", MFD = 7.87"

18. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I like the smaller size/lighter weight and the nice optional grip. If E-M10 had weathersealing I'd be tempted... Which really doesn't make sense since the E-M5 and E-M10 are so alike. I guess it's a good thing (at least for my wallet) that they didn't include it. :biggrin:

19. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    First Olympus gives us a firmware update for the E-M5 with truly useful features (small AF point + Extended ISO 100, check it out if you haven't!), and now they're including hoods with their lenses? Someone high up must have had a nice change of heart over the holidays.

• Like Like x 6
  20. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I may just be buying all of these. I love the new E-M10 so far but will wait until there are proper reviews before I plunk down any money. The 25mm is in the same boat as the body. The bodycap is for sure, I might even pre-order one as I love my 15mm BCL. The kit lens doesn't interest me greatly but if it is the lens in the kit I will get since it is only $100 more than the body alone.

• Like Like x 1