New Olympus Cameras 2021

Tapper

Mu-43 Veteran
Interesting. PEN F II could be interesting for sure. Personally I'd like to see an EM1 IV sooner than usual, with a complete overhaul i.e. 3.69mp EVF, 2mp LCD, new sensor (41mp rumored?) and new higher capacity battery. Everything else can be the same (I personally am OK with Olympus menus) and keep the same excellent build materials and quality. Are those things feasible in today's market? I don't know... but it would great for M43 enthusiasts.

Last edited:

StefanKruse

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Stefan
and they will ne Olympus branded according to the article!

Great news if true and if the cameras will be similar quality

Interesting. PEN F II could be interesting for sure. Personally I'd like to see an EM1 IV sooner than usual, with a complete overhaul i.e. 3.69mp EVF, 2mp LCD, new sensor (41mp rumored?) and new higher capacity battery. Everything else can be the same (I personally am OK with Olympus menus) and keep the same excellent build materials and quality. Are those things feasible in today's market? I don't know... but it would great for M43 enthusiasts.
I do not think that a higher resolution m43 sensor is coming.
Current 20MP m43 sensors have a pixel pitch (3.3 microns) that is already smaller than the highest resolution FF and MF sensors (3.73 microns).
A 40MP m43 sensor would have a pixel pitch of 2.2 microns, with a diffraction limit at f/4, and correspond to a 150MP FF sensor.

Tapper

Mu-43 Veteran
Current 20MP m43 sensors have a pixel pitch (3.3 microns) that is already smaller than the highest resolution FF and MF sensors (3.73 microns).
A 40MP m43 sensor would have a pixel pitch of 2.2 microns, with a diffraction limit at f/4, and correspond to a 150MP FF sensor.
Fine with me. I don't really want 41mp anyway, too much to manage.

Real Name
Richard
On the other hand, the author seems to think the "original" Pen F came out in 2016 (about 50 years too late) so I'm not sure if he knows much.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Higher resolution 43 sensors are already here. Not in m4/3 production cameras yet though. But they're coming - like it or not.

Fuzzdog

Mu-43 Regular
I have no need for 40+ megapixels, but I wouldn't mind seeing it if they used it for some sort of fancy pixel-binning noise reduction to achieve a much cleaner 20mp(ish) image. It's quite surprising what it can manage with some tiny phone sensors, I'd love to see what Olympus could do with that technology applied to a comparatively enormous m43 sensor.

mike3996

Mu-43 Veteran
I have no need for 40+ megapixels, but I wouldn't mind seeing it if they used it for some sort of fancy pixel-binning noise reduction to achieve a much cleaner 20mp(ish) image. It's quite surprising what it can manage with some tiny phone sensors, I'd love to see what Olympus could do with that technology applied to a comparatively enormous m43 sensor.
In-camera "pixel binning noise reduction" is a thing that's existed in cameras since day one. It's called downsampling or not using the largest JPEG size. Raw files don't need it -- you decide what size to export the file to. This pixel binning and the associated noise reduction (due to changes in CoC) come free with it.

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
Oh boy, a Pen-F II could most likely have a fairly negative impact on my bank account.:speechless:
On the other hand there already have been rumors about a new Pen-F two years ago which turned out being false - so I'm very careful and not getting my hopes up too much.

In any case, a new camera or maybe two would be at least a good sign of faith that JIP/OM-D keeps the business going.

frankmulder

Mu-43 Top Veteran
In-camera "pixel binning noise reduction" is a thing that's existed in cameras since day one. It's called downsampling or not using the largest JPEG size. Raw files don't need it -- you decide what size to export the file to. This pixel binning and the associated noise reduction (due to changes in CoC) come free with it.
I'd much prefer not having to work with 40+ megapixel RAW files though. Would be nice if pixel binning could be applied before editing.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran

Once again "Olympus" is making statements about products they will never release. Why?
Entire Olympus consumer product segment ceases to exist on January 1st 2021, also in less then 30 days.

Olympus is not in a position to make forward looking statements about any event that takes place after 2nd or January 2021.
So, why are these statements not coming from JIP or whoever will be the official spokeperson for OM Solutions?
And some random pointy haired boss in Germany is certainly not the same thing as an official statement from Olympus HQ in Tokyo.

This sounds just like Olympus is trying to force JIP to launch products which Olympus had in pipeline by creating hype and potential customer expectations which makes it harder for JIP to kill them instantly after handover. The only statement JIP has ever made was that they will concentrate on high end models only but then again a very expensive Pen-F II might fall in that category even if rest of the Pen product line will get the axe.

Last edited:

Fuzzdog

Mu-43 Regular

Yes, I'm fully aware that you can downsize images (or choose a smaller jpeg image size) and see a noise benefit. The modern implementation in some devices is very different to just a simple image downsize, and far more effective, with lots of fancy code going on behind the scenes to choose which pixels to drop, or merge results, etc. That's the sort of thing I'd like to see M43 dabbling in, even if only as an option.

mike3996

Mu-43 Veteran
Yes, I'm fully aware that you can downsize images (or choose a smaller jpeg image size) and see a noise benefit. The modern implementation in some devices is very different to just a simple image downsize, and far more effective, with lots of fancy code going on behind the scenes to choose which pixels to drop, or merge results, etc. That's the sort of thing I'd like to see M43 dabbling in, even if only as an option.
How can a camera possibly do better than a raw processor on desktop? The raw data will be the exact same for any software. And a desktop computer running from mains power will have the performative advantage on any sort of "fancy code" compared to battery-limited cameras.

Those quad pixel thingies are for smartphones because they focus on JPEG files 99.99%.

Raw is raw. If you take a 40-MP raw file and cook it halfway into a 20-MP "medium raw" file and never offer the original for photographers you'd get a lot of complains, rightly so.

Offer raw, offer an optional sampled small raw, offer heif, offer jpeg but if you don't give photographers the original sensor data dump you're asking for trouble. :)

Last edited:

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku
Oh boy, a Pen-F II could most likely have a fairly negative impact on my bank account.:speechless:
On the other hand there already have been rumors about a new Pen-F two years ago which turned out being false - so I'm very careful and not getting my hopes up too much.

In any case, a new camera or maybe two would be at least a good sign of faith that JIP/OM-D keeps the business going.

It would be pretty logical for Olympus & JIP to plan to release at least one camera pretty early next year to show they are serious. It would matter a lot to the image of the new company, to show commitment. I'm pretty sure they will do this, makes no sense not to.

I think 20MP is plenty, but at this point a new sensor would be required. 24MP would be a bonus, but other things in sensor department are more important imo.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Expectations are high for new cameras. Hype is doing the rounds. Every statement is analysed and picked over. Wish lists are written.
In reality, there will be an announcement and a photo of a mock-up. People will go mad. Shops will open order books. Promises made and broken. Release dates given. Random Finnish reviews. Backdated orders. Lack of stock. Negative reviews from that man on YouTube. 15 pages of posts on here. Made of plastic. Etc.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Maybe in view of past performance, this post needs renaming. New Olympus Cameras 2023 or another date.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom