1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New Olympus Camera

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Aegon, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
  2. jackmell

jackmell Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 1, 2012
    i certainly hope not, i was about to jump into micro4/3 this weekend but if this thing rumours to cost under $800 im stumped. i was looking forward to snapping in january. :mad:

3. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    I hope this is the pro body they were talking about. It has built in VF , placed on the left side and new sensor tech(maybe....).
    I wonder if it's true..I will be very happy as hell..sadly I don't have any plan to change camera body. Will wait until the 3rd generation of this pro camera :)

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    It won't be less than $800. The EP3 is over that, and the VF2 is $200, so it will likely be >$1,000.

5. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    Weather proof , Great.:smile: Shame the 12-50 is so slow.:mad:
    Where i live bad weather usually means low light too.
    So f6 point lots, is as useful as a chocolate fire guard.

6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I too think the camera is bound to be quite expensive and still with the same sensor. I think for most people who keep cameras for a few years it's hard to justify buying expensive camera with dated sensor even if it's already good enough.

7. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I'd buy it if it has a diff sensor that reviews better than the E-PL2 sensor. The E-P3 isn't enough of an upgrade to me over my E-PL2. Hopefully this will be. A 16MP Oly sensor with great Oly JPEGs would be welcomed in my bag.

8. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    who says f6 is too slow? What if it has clean ISO6400 like the Fuji X100? Then is it too slow?

If it looks like that fake image, I would have a hard time staying away from it.

9. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    yes. I prefer to use lower iso's. A constant f4 would have been good enough, And 2 stops is, well, 2 stops.

10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Well, I think we all prefer to use lower ISOs, but they need to try to hit a price point too.You can have fast or you can have cheap, you generally can't have both.

I'm sure with their love of building zoom lenses, they'll have a faster one available soon, but it won't be the kind that you bundle in with a camera for an extra $100.

11. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Even if ISO6400 is clean, f6 is way too slow for DoF control in m43 format

12. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I'm sure it'll be top of the line given it's rumored to have an integrated VF. Maybe 1000-1300$? I guess that's Nex7 range..you would think they would offer something comparable.

I guess it'll push the rest of the 3rd gen Pen pricing down. Yay E-P3 for 380-400$? :)

13. taran

taran Mu-43 Regular

Oct 19, 2011
    Fabrication of an new sensor from someone other than Panny would be financially feasible if both Olympus and Fuji were buying the part.

Olympus on its own can only afford the Panny 12 or 16mpix sensor.

14. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Yup - the OM's were compact and stylish. The single-digit ones (1/2/3/4) were well built too. The Pen F/FT was slightly smaller but also had a viewfinder (albiet much dimmer than the OM).

If they put a control ring around the lens mount (like the OM and newer Canon S9x series and ZX-1) that'd be a throw-back to the OM too (the shutter speed was set by a ring around the lens mount so you had all the controls easily to hand).

15. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'd be very surprised if it didn't have a real LCD. All other m4/3 and 4/3 bodies have 'em, and they're useful for things like tripod shooting, odd-angle shooting and so on.

If they fix AF with 4/3 lenses on the new model, I might be interested. Otherwise, forget it. The 12-50 is neither sharp nor fast, and there's little use for weather-sealing if the lens isn't sealed too.

DH

16. nicholasswan

nicholasswan Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2011
    I think they couldn't build a camera with out the LCD. They would lose so so many customers by not integrating a LCD. I think it would be a leap they just wouldn't make. I think it will compare to the x100 in styling an functions. And the trend of m9 competitors for us poor guys is always going to be something worth jumping on. I'll bet 1300 dollar range and competing with fujis new Jem and perhaps the nex7

17. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    No need to worry or change your plans. The camera you are intending to get will still be every bit as good when the new model arrives. People who wait to buy that model will only start fretting when almost immediately they hear rumours of yet another new one.

My advice is if there is a camera available now that does what you want, buy it, use it and enjoy it! :smile:

18. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    It's only a third of a stop slower than other :43: zooms. :smile:

19. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Surely it would have an lcd..afterall the component is only probably 5-20$ to add onto the camera and is highly valued by users.