New Olympus Camera Mid February

hoodlum

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It looks like they wanted to update the controls to better match the E-M1X so that you can easily switch between them. That sounds like a good idea but otherwise this just looks like a processor upgrade. The EVF has the same magnification although maybe they increase resolution with OLED. But I would have thought this would be mentioned in that press document.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
With respect to the short cord for the charger concern, I simply made my own shortened cord. I took one of the many of that type of cord I had laying around, cut off the plug part (that goes to the wall) making the cord to the length I wanted, then re-terminated the wall plug end with one you can buy at any hardware store for a couple bucks or less.

Example from Lowes: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Eaton-10-Amp-Volt-Black-2-Wire/3608790

You simply take the cut off end of the cord, slide it in, and push the assembly together and the self piercing tongs inside take care of the electrical connection. Plenty good enough for the lower current of a typical charger. For $1.22 you can customize whatever length you prefer.

m43happy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Clearly an E-M1II.rev2 ... :whistling:
E-M1 Mark II Mark II. :eek:

What I'm wondering is why can't Olympus, at the very least, have the EVF info change orientation when shooting in portrait automatically (or at least give us the option to turn it on/off). My friend's Fuji camera does and it's pretty useful. Seems like something that could just be done in a firmware update.

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
Having bought the EM1X last year in spite of its shortcomings I wasn’t likely to be interested in this model unless it had had a significantly better sensor which had seemed unlikely in any case
As that is not the case I will have no interest in this one at least at the moment whilst I have the EM1X
I’m quite relieved really as I can now sit back and ignore this one for the moment and continue to make use of the X without having to consider a different model solely because of a better sensor
However this does not bode well for the current development of M43 and I can understand that this will be disapointing for many who were considering buying or upgrading to the Mk3
As the poll on another thread here seemed to indicate that the feature most sought after was an improved sensor and that HHHR was not particularly highly rated as a wished for item then this would seem to be a very mediocre upgrade from the Mk2
I don’t think this one will entice upgrades from the Mk2 and many considering buying into this enthusiast / PRO level of M43 camera may still look at the Mk2 as a viable alternative at less cost if Olympus continue to produce the Mk2
After the delays with the factory relocation I thought Olympus might have released something more spectacular to reinvigorate the market particularly with regard to potential Mk2 upgraders
From a conversation I had with a Panasonic rep at a recent trade show they (and presumably) Olympus have no expectation of a hugely improved sensor until next generation sensor designs are released
The next significant step in sensor design is apparently 2 - 3 years away according to the rep I spoke to
As such I don’t think we will see any significant or perhaps even incremental advances in M43 sensor performance until the next generation designs are released
With the difference in cost between the Mk3 and the current prices of the Mk2 likely to be in the region of £800 ? I don’t see this one selling in big numbers until the price drops (as was the case with the X which I bought after an £800 price drop) and / or until Olympus phases out the Mk2 and the stock is gone

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
1600 GBP, that would convert to 2100 USD. Or how do UK camera prices compare to the rest of the world these days? May not be a straight conversion.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
Having bought the EM1X last year in spite of its shortcomings I wasn’t likely to be interested in this model unless it had had a significantly better sensor which had seemed unlikely in any case
As that is not the case I will have no interest in this one at least at the moment whilst I have the EM1X
I’m quite relieved really as I can now sit back and ignore this one for the moment and continue to make use of the X without having to consider a different model solely because of a better sensor
However this does not bode well for the current development of M43 and I can understand that this will be disapointing for many who were considering buying or upgrading to the Mk3
As the poll on another thread here seemed to indicate that the feature most sought after was an improved sensor and that HHHR was not particularly highly rated as a wished for item then this would seem to be a very mediocre upgrade from the Mk2
I don’t think this one will entice upgrades from the Mk2 and many considering buying into this enthusiast / PRO level of M43 camera may still look at the Mk2 as a viable alternative at less cost if Olympus continue to produce the Mk2
After the delays with the factory relocation I thought Olympus might have released something more spectacular to reinvigorate the market particularly with regard to potential Mk2 upgraders
From a conversation I had with a Panasonic rep at a recent trade show they (and presumably) Olympus have no expectation of a hugely improved sensor until next generation sensor designs are released
The next significant step in sensor design is apparently 2 - 3 years away according to the rep I spoke to
As such I don’t think we will see any significant or perhaps even incremental advances in M43 sensor performance until the next generation designs are released
With the difference in cost between the Mk3 and the current prices of the Mk2 likely to be in the region of £800 ? I don’t see this one selling in big numbers until the price drops (as was the case with the X which I bought after an £800 price drop) and / or until Olympus phases out the Mk2 and the stock is gone

Rob, Let me toss out a fork, to consider.
EM1X-mk2 sport camera: 20MP better HIGH ISO performance sensor, 60fps high frame rate.
EM1-mk4 GP high-rez camera: 40MP high rez sensor, 30fps lower frame rate.
It is like a math formula; 20MP x 60fps = 1200MP/sec = 40MP x 30fps
The limit being the max data throughput, so you adjust the resolution and frame rate, based on the purpose of the camera.

I think this is the same fork that the FF dSLRs have.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
Using a super short C7 plug is super useful indeed!

Can also be combined with a short C7 splitter like this to power two chargers at once:

View attachment 799669

Or if you need more chargers:

View attachment 799670

If you search for C8 Male to C7 female splitter you can find wonderfully useful things
I have been looking for something similar. For my Olympus and Panasonic chargers I need a female end to fit the wall plug leads and multiple male ends to fit into the battery chargers. I have found ones like your splitter lead but none with a female for the single end.
From my understanding C7 is the male end and C8 the female? Just checking to make sure I am getting my search correct.

111.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Edit,
Found one at Jaycar had to search for figure 8 not C7.
Picture in post a few down from this one

Last edited:

barry

Super Moderator
I have been looking for something similar. For my Olympus and Panasonic chargers I need a female end to fit the wall plug leads and multiple male ends to fit into the battery chargers. I have found ones like your splitter lead but none with a female for the single end.
From my understanding C7 is the male end and C8 the female? Just checking to make sure I am getting my search correct.

View attachment 799810
Hi, the one @roelwillems posted should be what you'd need, it's one C8 to two C7's.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
Hi, the one @roelwillems posted should be what you'd need, it's one C8 to two C7's.
Unless I am not looking at the picture correctly, the lead version has all male plugs from what I can see and I need the single end to be female. The square cube version looks like it would work, but I would like a lead version if I can get one.

Edit;
Looks like I found one at Jaycar Aust. Had to search for figure 8, not C7
C7x2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

JonSnih

Mu-43 All-Pro
1600 GBP, that would convert to 2100 USD. Or how do UK camera prices compare to the rest of the world these days? May not be a straight conversion.
The E-M1ii was priced this way when announced:
MSRP: $2000/£1850/€1999 body only, £2400/€2599 with 12-40mm F2.8

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Seems like a logical step to me. I'd like the joystick, but I can't see myself upgrading from a Mk2 to a Mk3 - however, there are an awful lot of Mk1 owners out there for whom this will be quite a leap in specification.

Latest threads

Top Bottom