New Olympus Camera Mid February

RS86

Mu-43 Veteran
If you look at Thom's article and as well as dxomark you will see there is a 1/3 stop improvement in DR at higher ISOs. There is no improvement in noise.

This reminds me of many asking for a BSI sensor thinking it will make a big difference when in fact the impact is less than 1/3 stop improvement in noise. And this noise reduction would only happen with higher pixel densities such as would be found in a 40mp m43 sensor.

As long as it is cost effective then it makes sense to use these advancement but m43 sensors are not somehow hindered if they are not used. It would make more sense for Olympus to invest in computational photography where much greater gains are to be found.
In DxoMark DR in A7ii vs A7iii is 13.6 vs 14.7 Evs.

Sports (Low-Light ISO) is 2449 vs 3730 ISO.

Overall score is 90 vs. 96. To me these look like big improvements.

JonSnih

Mu-43 Regular
In DxoMark DR in A7ii vs A7iii is 13.6 vs 14.7 Evs.

Sports (Low-Light ISO) is 2449 vs 3730 ISO.

Overall score is 90 vs. 96. To me these look like big improvements.
There were more changes besides BSI tech. Also new ADC contributed to a better performance. The original 24MP FF sensor was outdated.

non-BSI (RXmk2) vs. BSI sensors:
https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100-II-versus-Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100-IV-versus-Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100-V___896_1033_1128
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

RS86

Mu-43 Veteran
There were more changes besides BSI tech. Also new ADC contributed to a better performance. The original 24MP FF sensor was outdated.

non-BSI (RXmk2) vs. BSI sensors:
https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100-II-versus-Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100-IV-versus-Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100-V___896_1033_1128
View attachment 796278
Dual-gain = BSI? Why two names for same thing to confuse people?

What interests me here is what was giving those big improvements. If above is correct was it related to "coatings" or something else?

Can similar jump in performance be made with E-M1 III?

whumber

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Dual-gain = BSI? Why two names for same thing to confuse people?

What interests me here is what was giving those big improvements. If above is correct was it related to "coatings" or something else?

Can similar jump in performance be made with E-M1 III?
No, dual gain and BSI have nothing to do with one another. As for a similar jump in the E-M1iii, it's possible but important to remember that the high ISO dynamic range value only affects the very deep shadow noise rather than the overall high ISO performance. The jump between the A7/ii and A7iii seems so large primarily because the A7/ii sensor was just a terrible performer at high ISO compared to all the other FF sensors on the market of that generation.

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
I've kinda settled on upgrading every two gen's unless there's a clear leap in some area that i need (eg - i decided the PenF 20mp was something i wanted after the 16mp Em1, but even then it was only the theft of my Em1 that provided the need to get something else) . So i still have an old Em5, never bought the 5ii but strongly considering the 5iii. I'm ok with "only" incremental improvements if it ticks my "must have" boxes in other area's. A minor improvement in ISO performance is still worth having. If they improve colour depth and dynamic range- which i think adds more to an overall look - then i'll gladly take that instead, thanks.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I've kinda settled on upgrading every two gen's unless there's a clear leap in some area that i need (eg - i decided the PenF 20mp was something i wanted after the 16mp Em1, but even then it was only the theft of my Em1 that provided the need to get something else) . So i still have an old Em5, never bought the 5ii but strongly considering the 5iii. I'm ok with "only" incremental improvements if it ticks my "must have" boxes in other area's. A minor improvement in ISO performance is still worth having. If they improve colour depth and dynamic range- which i think adds more to an overall look - then i'll gladly take that instead, thanks.
I will push it even more, if I can. I went from a Nikon D70 to a D7200, 12 years later, and only because the D70 died.
My only exception to the multi generation upgrade step, was the EM1-mk1 then the mk2. There were SIGNIFICANT improvements in the mk2, for shooting sports, that caused me to break my normal NOT SEQUENTIAL upgrading. And only because the Olympus "trade up" program brought the price down to where it was acceptable.
Were it not for sports, the EM1-mk1 is still a perfectly fine camera that meets 95+% of my normal (non-sports) shooting needs. It is the small EM10 that fills small remaining gap.
I predict I will wait for the EM1-mk4 or mk5, maybe. Cuz I am pretty happy with the EM1-mk1 and mk2. And I don't see myself shooting sports in 6+ years from now.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Angus
I have an E-M1 mk II and E-M1 X. I'm frothing at the mouth for some of the E-M1X ergonomics to make their way into a smaller E-M1 mk III.

zanydroid

Mu-43 Regular
If you look at Thom's article and as well as dxomark you will see there is a 1/3 stop improvement in DR at higher ISOs. There is no improvement in noise.
Doesn’t the Dpreview graphs for A7iii show close to 2 stop improvement at second gain stage? Similarly the GH5s has 2 stops advantage over GH5 in reviews and video shooter community conventional wisdom.

My Sony FF also outperforms my GH5 and EM10.2 beyond the 2 stops that I would expect from just sensor size, especially in low light video.

That said, the results in photons 2 photos and Dxomark are not consistent with those other sites and my experience.

whumber

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Doesn’t the Dpreview graphs for A7iii show close to 2 stop improvement at second gain stage? Similarly the GH5s has 2 stops advantage over GH5 in reviews and video shooter community conventional wisdom.

My Sony FF also outperforms my GH5 and EM10.2 beyond the 2 stops that I would expect from just sensor size, especially in low light video.

That said, the results in photons 2 photos and Dxomark are not consistent with those other sites and my experience.
Going by video low light performance is something of dangerous game as there are more conflating factors there than in stills. The GH5s, as an example, is something like 2-3 stops better for high ISO video than the GH5 but there's less than a stop difference between them when it comes to stills, and most of that difference is just better control of color casts in the shadows.

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
My question is why would they bring back a camera model they took off market sometime ago? Makes no sense to me while a new model of the M1 mkII does seem like something they should do. The big question is what would this new model offer of value that the current model doesn't?
It would make sense in freeing up production capacity as well as reducing stock, without having to hit rock bottom, price wise before introduction of the MkII model. As to value added, rectifying the critisms the MkI got on release would be a solid start. That would, if I recall somewhat correctly include weatherproofing, a better EVF and a few other such items as well as bringing it up to date sensor- and firmware like.

ibd

Mu-43 Veteran
43rumor's new photo "leak". Tells us two things:
- Placement follows the E-M1X
- Body development is far along that there are real prototypes, reinforcing a possible February announcement.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Steph

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Stephane
Looks like that " Simon " source was right. Maybe the exact same body as the em1 mk2. He said that the Mark 3 will use the same hld-9 grip. If that the case I will buy a underwater housing for my em1 mk 2 and will upgrade in 2 years to this new model..
I don't expect too much from the em1 mk3, the Em1 mk2 is still the best overall camera in m4/3( price,size, features, PDAF, IBIs...) so improvements like new EVF, HHHrs, 400k shutter rating, better IBIS and AF are great in my book.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Wonder where and when the talking heads from Olympus corporate will do its introduction at (i.e. Trade show, country, hotel, etc. as with past announcement events.)? If it is planned for Feb. it should be announced soon and someplace so tickets and transportation would be available.

Last edited:

RS86

Mu-43 Veteran
Wonder where and when the talking heads from Olympus corporate will do its introduction at? If it is planned for Feb. it should be announced soon and someplace.
I'm not sure I understood you correctly, but the announcement of camera is planned for February and release for Q2 this year.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom