New Olympus Camera Mid February

ektar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Don
^^^^^
Congratulations on your 2000th message.

Regarding the F2, insert obligatory "they don't make 'em like they used'ta" statement here.

And get off my lawn.

dirtdevil

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This Simon poster has some very specific time lines on firmware dates... 😉. Designing hardware to support unused and hidden features at launch seems a little far fetched. I doubt Olympus is playing that long of a game.
He's the biggest bs-er around...I don't understand where his fame comes from...where's that revolutionary sensor with a bio-membrane again?

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If the EM1X is not this seasons top Olympus camera body. That could mean that the forthcoming EM1 mk.111, could be different and better. Wait for the specs. Only a month.
Agree.
After all the agitation about the EM1X and EM5-mk3 and the let down after the release, it might be fun to speculate, but I would not get excited over rumors and "it must have this" comments.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
^^^^^
Congratulations on your 2000th message.

Regarding the F2, insert obligatory "they don't make 'em like they used'ta" statement here.

And get off my lawn.
Yup
There is more to fail on a modern camera, but also soooo much more functionality.
I WILL NOT give up modern autofocus. Shooting sports is SOOOO much easier with autofocus.
And as I tell my students, back in my day, shooting speed was not Frames per Second, it was Seconds per Frame.
And HIGH ISO. the fastest we had was B&W Tri-X pushed to ASA 1200, and color was only ASA 320. On the Olympus I can shoot COLOR at ISO 25600, 5-1/2 stops faster.
THIS is something that we could not even dream about back in my day. It was science fiction.​
There is one thing that will prevent modern cameras from being used in 50 years . . . the battery.
In 50 years, I doubt there will be a battery that can be used to power today's cameras.

zanydroid

Mu-43 Regular
There is one thing that will prevent modern cameras from being used in 50 years . . . the battery.
In 50 years, I doubt there will be a battery that can be used to power today's cameras.
Super easy, barely an inconvenience. Batteries are 1000x easier for small run manufacture than, say, film-stock. Worst case, people will use dummy batteries to connect cameras to fusion powercells...

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
304007BC-1CB5-4BEB-9AAD-16684DA4F93B.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This one is available at Walmart

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
The biggest impediment to modern cameras surviving more than a decade or so is the inability to repair the electronics once the manufacturing lines have shut down. VLSI, surface mount, multi layer boards etc - all impossible to fix without massive investment in complex micro electronics fabrication facilities.

hazwing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My bet is that there will be some updated AI algorithms in the EM1 mk 3 - which will be pushed to the em1x via firmware update. This will keep both cameras up to date and becoming more competitive with other brands that have better focus tracking algorithms

whumber

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I am guessing the E-M1X will get a new FW update a month after the E-M1.3 reaches the stores.
February tends to be FW month for Olympus so I'm expecting to see a new FW for the E-M1X announced, or released, alongside the E-M1iii and lenses. Possibly a final FW update for the E-M1ii as well. Waiting until after the E-M1iii release to update the E-M1X would be a mistake given its position in the lineup.

JonSnih

Mu-43 Regular
February tends to be FW month for Olympus so I'm expecting to see a new FW for the E-M1X announced, or released, alongside the E-M1iii and lenses. Possibly a final FW update for the E-M1ii as well. Waiting until after the E-M1iii release to update the E-M1X would be a mistake given its position in the lineup.
Is there a personal wish you would like to see in the FW v2 for your EM1X?

Eirik

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Eirik
So it seems pretty much settled then, that this will be the E-M1 mk.III?

I would not expect too much, probably no new sensor, which would not upset me really, much more can be had from the "old" one, just give it a new processor. Olympus will hopefully use this as an opportunity to introduce the TruePic IX, giving it (give or take) the same processing power as the dual TruePic VIII in the E-M1X, enabling it to run all of the E-M1X features with a single processor. Physically it may just be the E-M1X minus the vertical part, which can be both good and bad. I don't like it as I prefer the smaller dimensions of the E-M1 classic to the larger mk.II and the (rumored) even larger mk.III (vertical-grip-less E-M1X). In either case you may have expect to pay more than $2000/€2000 for it.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
So it seems pretty much settled then, that this will be the E-M1 mk.III?

I would not expect too much, probably no new sensor, which would not upset me really, much more can be had from the "old" one, just give it a new processor. Olympus will hopefully use this as an opportunity to introduce the TruePic IX, giving it (give or take) the same processing power as the dual TruePic VIII in the E-M1X, enabling it to run all of the E-M1X features with a single processor. Physically it may just be the E-M1X minus the vertical part, which can be both good and bad. I don't like it as I prefer the smaller dimensions of the E-M1 classic to the larger mk.II and the (rumored) even larger mk.III (vertical-grip-less E-M1X). In either case you may have expect to pay more than $2000/€2000 for it.
I like the EM1-mk1 also, as long a you don't use the 12-100.
If you shoot a power hungry lens like the 12-100, you want the larger battery of the mk2.

I wish Olympus would do another bug fix FW on the mk1.

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
Latest specs / rumours apparently

Same 20-Megapixel Four Thirds sensor as the E-M1X
60Mp for Handheld Res. and 100Mp for Tripod
More phase detection pixels on the sensor

Truepic IX processing engine
Improvements on IBIS
ISO 100 at base and optimized dynamic range
4K video at 60p

Joystick
Additions on weather-sealing
Intelligent Subject Detection
Same body design ergonomics and battery as the E-M1 II
Coming with the new 12-40mm f/4.0 lens
Price to be around $2,000

AndyT

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Andy
Latest specs / rumours apparently

Same 20-Megapixel Four Thirds sensor as the E-M1X
60Mp for Handheld Res. and 100Mp for Tripod
More phase detection pixels on the sensor

Truepic IX processing engine
Improvements on IBIS
ISO 100 at base and optimized dynamic range
4K video at 60p

Joystick
Additions on weather-sealing
Intelligent Subject Detection
Same body design ergonomics and battery as the E-M1 II
Coming with the new 12-40mm f/4.0 lens
Price to be around $2,000
Pretty much what I expected, if they don't push the price up too much then it could be a decent upgrade.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom