New Olympus Camera Mid February

whizwalk

New to Mu-43
I use the e-shutter on the EM1-mk2 to shoot at up to 19fps, and still autofocus.
To ME, it seems quite decent.
The EM1 Mark II seems to have met "sufficient" needs in terms of hardware for that line, and any enhancements other than the EVF / monitor / Joystick in the successors, will probably come from software?

Real Name
Chris
I can’t wait for the official specs to be released, just to stop all this speculation. :)
Haven’t much to offer in what I think the III will be like, but am confident it’ll be another cracking good camera from Olympus.
My II will have to do me for the next couple of years anyway, I seem to be the type of consumer who upgrades a couple of years after a new offering is released.
New lense offerings on the other hand............

whizwalk

New to Mu-43
I can’t wait for the official specs to be released, just to stop all this speculation. :)
Haven’t much to offer in what I think the III will be like, but am confident it’ll be another cracking good camera from Olympus.
My II will have to do me for the next couple of years anyway, I seem to be the type of consumer who upgrades a couple of years after a new offering is released.
New lense offerings on the other hand............
2-3 years after launch is the perfect time to get a deal :)
I like David Thorpe’s idea of getting a bag and then buying the lenses that fit into it

JonSnih

Mu-43 Regular
It is highly unlikely that I will upgrade without the faster sensor readout. The EVF upgrade would be the main reason based on the initial leaks, but that is not enough for me.
The E-M1iii will feature a new processor for sure. We can expect improvements in this regard:
- faster camera operation
- a boost in AF speed/aquisition
- video tweaks (I presume the new video ASIC will unlock 4K60p)
- higher res EVF
- AI features
- Not to mention very nice ergo things from E-M1X (a joystick, B mode, 4 C modes...)

I do hope that the E-M1iii will be an Oly version of the D500: an ultimate sport camera.

JonSnih

Mu-43 Regular
I doubt we'll see A9 level readout speed, but I don't see myself upgrading if they don't have a new sensor with some improvement to readout speed.
What can be done with the current sensor? A new PDAF layer? A new readout layer? A new coating layer? They updated the coating layer with the E-M1X and the E-M5iii. It would really be a big let down if there are no changes in sensor readout and number of PDAF points. People judge a product according to basic specs. If there is no change they will lose an interest.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Why don't we wait for the actual release with actual specifications rather than to sit around and to speculate on the earliest rumors and leaks which are themselves effectively speculative information that came from a source that has previously made comments about the E-M1X potentially having a global shutter. The same source having hyped the specs up based on rumors only for the real thing to come out and prove a bunch of the rumors and leaks completely wrong?
Hi, Welcome to the internet. Sounds like this is your first time here, so let me give you a quick tour of what you can expect to see...

:rofl:

tiago.ereira

Mu-43 Rookie
As a technology enthusiast I like this speculation period.

Because of that, part of me would like to see a very good improvement from mark II to mark III. Olympus needs that to keep their business.

However, as owner of a mark II, a very boring release would be ideal to keep my GAS levels low. Just got my mark II in April last year and it’s an awesome camera. More than enough for my needs, but enthusiasts are always looking for something else, which is dangerous and financially stupid.

Do you think we will have room for a major final firmware update to the mark II? I would like to see that (specially AF improvement)but it’s hard to believe as there’s no much gap between EM1mk2, EM5mk3, EM1X and the new EM1mk3 possible specifications.

They would become even closer...

RS86

Mu-43 Veteran
As a technology enthusiast I like this speculation period.

Because of that, part of me would like to see a very good improvement from mark II to mark III. Olympus needs that to keep their business.

However, as owner of a mark II, a very boring release would be ideal to keep my GAS levels low. Just got my mark II in April last year and it’s an awesome camera. More than enough for my needs, but enthusiasts are always looking for something else, which is dangerous and financially stupid.

Do you think we will have room for a major final firmware update to the mark II? I would like to see that (specially AF improvement)but it’s hard to believe as there’s no much gap between EM1mk2, EM5mk3, EM1X and the new EM1mk3 possible specifications.

They would become even closer...
I really doubt any big firmware update to E-M1 II.

"The latest firmware version 3.0 for the E-M1 Mark II is packed with many new features; including enhanced Auto Focus, image quality, operability, and expandability. (Available from: June 2019)"

It got it 6 months ago and now we already wait for the next model.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Having just got a G9 in April of 2019, this year I am going to fill out my lens line up with either 7-14 Pany/Oly and either 35-100 f2.8/40-150 f2.8. Then I might consider an Oly body, my first in 5 years. Why, because I think I am going to want the 150-400 f4.5 (or the 500 f4 prime that was rumored) and I will want the best performance. I now have enough Pany bodies for a while (Gx85,Gx8, G9) that the EM1 iii would be a good add especially if I go Oly on the lenses I am considering.

How lucky are we that the two companies that back M43 produce such great equipment, and that even the Sigma 1.4's bring so much to our systems.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I use the e-shutter on the EM1-mk2 to shoot at up to 19fps, and still autofocus.
To ME, it seems quite decent.
BTW, the downside to the high continuous rate is, to sort through a LOT of images.
At a high school tennis match that I shoot about 300 images at 6fps, at 19fps I had about 1,000. :eek:
The next match I dropped the rate down to 10fps, to make it easier to sort through the pics.
For selected players I could always bump the rate back up to 19fps.​
There is no free lunch.

Last edited:

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
If the EM1X is not this seasons top Olympus camera body. That could mean that the forthcoming EM1 mk.111, could be different and better. Wait for the specs. Only a month.

Rrybicki

Innocent bystander
Real Name
Russ Rybicki
In general, I have no idea what to expect. But I’d add the field sensor package to the list of likely new features. If they can put GPS, altimeter, compass, thermometer, and barometer in a TG6, I am sure they can squeeze it in the mark iii.

Russ

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Will my E-M1 Mark1 take photos any more, or will i have to buy a new camera? I am uncertain because my camera is becoming a grandfather and may want retire.
Well I used my D70 for about 12 years, until it died.
So I figure your mk1 may want to be a great-grandfather before it retires.

Then again, I have my Nikon F2, from the 1970s, and with regular CLA, it is still going fine. So almost 50 years.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom