1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

NEW Olympus body cap lens!?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by speedandstyle, Jan 15, 2014.

1. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

According to digicame-info.com Olympus is going to release a new body cap lens. The product number is BCL-0980. This would indicate it will be an ultra-wide of 9mm! The reason I say this is because the current 15mm lens is numbered BCL-1580. The body cap lens is a product that you either hate or love. I personally love mine and want to see more! Haters please post elsewhere!

http://translate.googleusercontent....l&usg=ALkJrhhXqGeDS-Hc_rGJKfLN6H7FYa1NIg#more
    Last lens listed! The others are the new 25mm f1.8 and new kit zoom.

• Like Like x 3
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I love stuff like this. It does no real harm but really ticks some people off.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    Q
    i wish they'd make a 20mm BCL!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    oly, if ur listening, i want a 22mm BCL! :D id love you long time!

• Like Like x 3
  5. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    I'm almost positive it's going to be a fisheye, which I'm not that interested in. But if it's an ultrawide, I'll own it for sure. The 15 is really fun.

6. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    If that website is right the 25mm is only going to be around $335. Seems like a good price and I'm sure it will have great optics like the 45mm.

7. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    I don't really have any interest in the 15mm BCL but a 9 would be pretty cool.

8. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oh yeah!! I can't wait for the 9mm BCL.. I have 2 15mm BCLs .. one that I converted into a macro… :D Love these little lens!

9. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    9mm at $99 would be great! I have need for my job to photograph the insides of rooms and quality is not an issue. The 14mm + 11mm converter does the trick, but I don't really like the idea of a converter. A 12~mm zoom lens isn't quite wide enough. The Samyang fisheye does the trick too, but defishing is a pain, so I hope this 9mm isn't a fisheye. It'd be great if it were a stop or two faster than the f/8, however, so I don't have to use flash. At 9mm & IS I could handhold 1/2 second with useable results (for my low-IQ purposes, that is).

10. loloban

loloban Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 13, 2013
    california
    Not really interested on the 15mm bcl
    But if it's a 9mm bcl, then I might get it

11. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    What's the yen figure equate to in monopoly money? I.e. dollars?

12. LivingLoud

LivingLoud Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 8, 2013
    Moscow
    Maxim Guselnikov
    Fish-eye toy lenscap is what I`ve been thinking about since first lenscap was released, great! )

• Like Like x 1
  13. speedandstyle

oly_bcl-0980_zps7be1d091.

Ok so it is a fisheye and not an rectilinear wide but still it sounds like lots of fun for a low price. With modern software it is very easy to defish.

I also hope they make a BCL in the standard range.

What did you do to make it macro?

• Like Like x 2
  14. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    Think it's a stupid lens for Oly to make. They have the great 9-18 and you can get the excellent sam/rok 7.5. I reckon if it is "real", it will be pretty crap*y quality....

15. speedandstyle

Hater!
    If the quality is on par with the 15mm BCL then it won't be bad at all. Plus the point of this kind of lens isn't the highest IQ, it is about having fun with photography. If you want super sharp lenses then by all means don't buy this lens but let those of use who enjoy them, enjoy them.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    With the lens so far recessed it won't have a very wide FOV for a fisheye, possibly only ~140°.
    Despite this it should still be a fun lens and at a price that's bareable for fun.

I suspect the quality will be quite acceptable for Web use & A4 printing, those who need better IQ have several options already.
    Might as well start saving...

• Like Like x 1
  17. audiodrive

audiodrive Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Prairies
    jef
    Can you compare the price of the lenses you mentioned to the new BCL0980?

• Like Like x 3
  18. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I have the original BCL and while I don't use it all the time, it is a lot of fun to play with (especially for the price) and I am sure that the same will be the case with this one.

• Like Like x 1
  19. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I wouldn't be likely to spend a lot for a fisheye, but as a BCL I might be seriously tempted...