1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Olympus 30mm macro?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Holoholo55, May 11, 2016.

1. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
  2. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    To compete with the Panasonic 30/2.8 macro? What a strange choice.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Why would Olympus do that? Isn't one macro lens enough - esp when it's as good as the 60/2.8?

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lately it seems like Panasonic and Olympus are working extra hard to fully duplicate each other's lineup.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Seems a useless choice. A 100 or 150mm macro with more working room would be a worthwhile addition. Put the resource to work on a faster, more accurate focusing 60 mk2. Why a 30 that you have to stick up a bugs nose?

Don't understand that one. Seems a waste of resources for a company short on resources. Will be interesting to see how that works out.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Yup, a bit of a mystery to me too. To me, the 60 seems like the perfect placement for a macro lens. Maybe a weather-sealed 90 or 100 macro also usable as a mid-length tele would be interesting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Another one where if there was some massive sales rush or user demand shown for this I must have missed it. The panasonic one seems to be a middling seller even on discount and fighting over getting only a part of its market share seems like a weird thing to aim for.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    If they do it slow like the 4/3's 35mm and price it under $200, it'll be a sensible addition for the lower end of the system.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You know, you bring up a good point. I guess I immediately jumped to the conclusion that it would be another f2.8 clone of the Panasonic. But what if it is an f3.5 that is dirt cheap? Or what if it is an f2 macro that can replace a 25mm f1.8? I guess I shouldn't immediately discount it.

Ironically, Most of my lenses I called absurd as they were announced. The 15mm f1.7 was an off focal length, absurdly priced and we already had the 14mm f2.5 and 17mm f1.8. The 75mm f1.8 was an odd focal length (should have been 67mm) and way too expensive. The 42.5mm f1.7 was just a silly clone of the 45mm f1.8. Who would buy the 25mm f1.8 when the PL25 was so good?

I guess I should wait and see, as my initial cynicism often proves unfounded. :blush:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Here's something to consider. What if Olympus made it affordable and with a built-in ring light like the newly announced Canon EF-M 28 f3.5 Macro IS STM lens? That would make it distinctive. Olympus has a ring light accessory for their TG series of Touch cameras, so why not? :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

It would have to do a lot more than duplicate a $20 ring light off ebay. How about a dedicated macro-only lens with high native magnification, performs well at higher apertures and designed as a double-telecentric macro with no perspective changes or breathing?

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    *yawn* so unexcited about this announcement. wish they would put more resources into the in the lens gaps, that aren't already filled.

13. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    What lens gaps are those? It seems like the only one at this point is a fast ultrawide prime in the 7-10mm range. Which isn't exactly a mainstream lens. Most companies sell theirs for $600-1000.

14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    • Like Like x 1
  15. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    It's not an announcement, it's a rumor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    It's not a lens that I'm interested in and can't imagine why anyone would want it, therefore it's a bad idea, a disastrous business move and will probably lead to the demise of the entire m43 system. And probably the world as we know it.

Fred

• Funny Funny x 14
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I too was surprised. A 90mm macro would also be better suited.

But i heard it was 2,5x magnification, so there's that. Might intrigue some people...

Lay off the siliness, Olympus, and give us a 17mm PRO lens.

18. Johnny The Greek

Johnny The Greek Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    Agreed. I've seen some outstanding photos taken by the 60mm macro--who in God's name greenlit yet another macro lens?

19. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

At Last! some common sense!

20. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    I'm still waiting on a weather resistant prime. a 17/1.8 mk2 that is weather sealed might lead me to buy my first ever new not used or refurbished mu43 lens.