New Olympus 25mm f/1.8, 14-42mm pancake, 8mm fisheye pricing

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by klam, Jan 29, 2014.

1. klam

klam New to Mu-43

Nov 8, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
  2. cdo221

cdo221 Mu-43 Rookie

May 3, 2013
    Any idea when these will start shipping?

Trying to pre-order the body lens cap but I get an error that says:

Sorry, the quantity of one or more items in your cart exceeded the available amount, The item was either removed or the quantity has been changed to the maximum amount available. Please review your cart before you continue.
  3. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    I think Dpreview wrote on 25mm f/1.8 that it will ship on March.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    Feels kinda crazy to want the Oly 25m when I already have the Pany 25m.... but I just love the idea of getting that focal length in the 45m size! I think the Pany 25m days are numbered.
  5. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I am making my slow decent in focal lengths. The 25 is on my list. I have the 75,60 and 45. Then I can get a used 17 later.
  6. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Hardly. We already have MFT charts for the Oly, it's a good lens but not earth-shattering. It falls more in line with the 20mm pancake... Pretty good, but the PL 1.4 is still the best.
  7. jaydubstar

jaydubstar Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2014
    Bellingham, WA
    I just got the Voigtlander 25... I'll probably get this too... Oddly, I've never had a 50mm equiv. lens, now I'm doubling down on it, hahaha. I just really thought having one manual lens Voigtlander would be really cool, so, I pulled the trigger... Letting out some GAS
  8. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Owning the 25/1.4 I don't have any interest in the 25/1.8, $100 less and not a whole lot smaller, 70g lighter, and 2/3rds stop slower.

If the 25/1.4 was never produced I would probably be excited, but I really like the 25/1.4. Maybe if the Oly was under $300 it would be a little more tempting, or offered in a kit with the EM10.
  9. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    To clarify... I meant the Pany 25's days are numbered FOR ME.

I was not suggesting the lens itself is doomed or going to be replaced by the Oly. Just that I think I will sell mine and go for the smaller one.
  10. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    The MFT chart for the 20mm is actually pretty spectacular. Preference for the PL25 is usually attributed to focus speed and character, not measured optical superiority (in the lab, it's actually worse in a number of ways). If the O25 falls in line with the P20, one will be able to make a strong case for preferring it over the PL25
    • Like Like x 1
  11. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I will get the body cap at some point, will wait until I can get the 25mm at a better price as the 1.4 is on my radar and as I am seeing the 20mm going for reasonable amounts it will be bought. You may think it mad but as they all have different renderings and my love of the focal length it is just a case of when with them all. At one point I had 4 Nikon 50mm lenses and all got used, still have a load of them for various film cameras; 2 in L39 7 in M42 and 2 in FD along with one Nikon. Not interested in the pancake zoom, would rather the Pana 12-32 for its range and given I have a Panasonic camera the IS is useful.
  12. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    If I read it correctly the 25mm 1.8 will cost 35,000 Yen in Japan (which is something like $336). It is interesting that 45mm 1.8 went for the same price in Japan (also 35,000 Yen) while it was sold for $400 in the States. Another interesting fact that here in Ukraine 45mm 1.8 is still selling for $336. That's what I paid for mine while you guys were paying $400 for it in the States. I assume this is because Ukraine, being a part of Euraisa, is treated more like an Asian market. So I have high hopes that 25mm 1.8 will be sold for something like $340 here. Then it is a no-brainer for us.
  13. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    OK, these are "street" prices in the UK (not the manufacturers list price), and they include our 20% sales tax:

Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 £355 - US$485 + 20% tax
    Olympus 17mm f/1.8 £370 - US$508 + 20% tax
    Olympus 45mm f/1.8 £220 - US$300 + 20% tax

And what price it this new Oly 25mm? £370. I'm assuming after it has been on the market for a while it will come down in price, at the moment it's hardly the cheaper alternative to the PanaLeica I was hoping for.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    I have never enjoyed the classic 50mm FOV, not on film and not on digital. 35mm to 40mm just feels right for me. Currently own the 20mm pancake for its superlative value, and because AF is not a big deal to me. If there was a knock-'em-out-of-the-ballpark 35mm equivalent I would get that.

Thankfully we have lots of choice in the MFT lens stable! Nice to see another lens added.
  15. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Its nice that Oly made a moderately priced 25mm lens but I really hoping it would be a pancake even if it meant increasing the cost or making it slower.
  16. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Well, we're all just a tiny bit mad or we'd curing world hunger or something with our hobby dollars :biggrin:.

I agree on the Nikon lenses - one cannot have too many "nifty fifties".

I've had the Panasonic 20mm welded onto my E-M5 recently but may have to take a look at the new 25mm just to see how it compares (no local brick 'n mortar will stock 'em but will probably have 'em available at reasonable prices for testing).

Interesting times we're living in...

17. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Robin Wong posted a review of the new E-M10 along with the new 14-42mm. What it is interesting is that he just loves the new kit lens.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    I predict lots of Oly 25 vs PL 25 vs P 20 threads in the future. :tongue:
  19. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    I'm just waiting for a Canon 50mm of mine to clear on an ebay auction. Honestly, I'm still leaning more toward the Panaleica 50mm than the Olympus. I'm not completely sold yet though.
  20. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I think the new Oly is incredibly overpriced at $399. It doesn't get any more basic than 50mm eq. fov lens, plastic and basic f1.8. There are virtually no budget fast lenses in m43 lineup. I like my PL25 for it's outstanding rendering which makes pictures with relatively average DoF look 3d like. It's almost hard to take bad pictures with it. Also the build quality is superb, IMO. Yes, it's also very expensive but it's priced as a "luxury" item cause of Leica branding. Someone needs to make a good, <$200 pancake 17mm f1.8 lens already. 35mm eq is the most used focal length these days (iPhone camera). Tiny m43 user base keeps prices very high for lenses compared to Canon, Nikon or Sony.
    • Like Like x 1