1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

NEW Olympus 17mm F1.8 @ Photokina!!!

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Adubo, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    was fooling around the net and went to 43rumors for... well, rumors.

yeap. they got you.

yeap. your gonna save up for it.

you can see the link here

• Like Like x 1
  2. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    i am hoping it will as good as the 45mm.

3. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I will be getting one if it is as good as the 45mm! Hope it is priced like the 45mm as well...

4. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Olympus should have the "classic" trio of primes, at good build quality, great IQ and rational prices: 35, 50 and 90mm "equivalent". If they make a 17mm and 25mm like the 45mm, they'll have a winning situation, all these will sell like hot cakes.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    i wont be getting this one tho, too close of a prime from my panny 14... BUT the rumored f8 lens cap, at a reasonable price i'll get it for street shooting.

i wish the Oly guys are looking at sony/fuji right now. the leaked RX1 and the x-e1 looks a lot like a perfect camera for me.

6. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Huh I heard some rumors from Panasonic making one but I guess its Olympus. I would rather have a PL17mm if possible though unless the Olympus 17mm is like the 12mm

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Congrats to the 35-e shooters out there. Guess that nixes the 25/1.8 though. Sigh.

DH

8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wish I had unlimited cash flow to buy all this stuff! :tongue:

• Like Like x 2
  9. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Yeah, I'm thinking that the new cap/lens and this lens may have combined into the cheap/fast/wide lens rumor. Makes me sad...

10. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Gah... I just got the 75mm... and thought "well- no other lenses I need now, unless they make a good 17mm-ish fast lens."

I really hope if has the build quality of the 45mm, for a price point... however if it's built like the 12mm + 75mm, it will be fantastic.

11. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

This is insane, but it seems awfully close to the 20mm, no?

12. shizlefonizle

Apr 21, 2012
    yes I definitely want hyperfocal distance scales for zone focusing

• Like Like x 1
  13. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    But that is Panasonics baby. There's no word on it being a pancake either, so it could follow the 12 and 45 in sizing. I have a feeling it will be more like the 12 in build if it exists only because they have a cheap 17/2.8 already. Hopefully I'm wrong.

14. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    If it is weather-sealed (unlikely) I'm all over it. A weather-sealed prime is one of the only things I'm on the lookout for.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Don't understand why people say stuff like this. Panasonic makes great lenses: the 14mm, 20mm, 45mm are stellar. Olympus makes great lenses: the 12mm, 45mm, and 75mm are also outstanding. Why would you care which company makes a lens in a much-needed FL?

• Like Like x 1
  16. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Exactly.... As much as I love any amount of great lens....I was REALLY looking fwd to upgrade my Panny 20mm to an Oly 25mm. :frown:

17. shizlefonizle

Apr 21, 2012
    Because I prefer the PL primes to Olympus primes? I really like the PL 25 and 45mm so if they made a 17mm I would be very excited. And if it was labeled PL youre pretty much guaranteed a certain degree of quality (although a bit expensive).

18. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Panasonic makes great lenses- but for me, whoever gets me a fast 35mm equivalent has my money (AKA Credit Card Number).

This lens would also replace my 20mm- most likely anyway. Having the faster focusing lenses has kind of spoiled me.

OH MAN- I would love it to have a distance scale via HG ยต4/3 12mm....

19. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Hmmm....
    12/2 didn't get a lot of people....:smile:

20. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    High build quality, wide aperture primes are great, no second thoughts about it. 25mm @f/1.4 or even f/0.95? Sure!

But my view is, for the system to have a broader appeal, it needs to also have the full variety of "mid-level" primes. Good, albeit not top, build quality, great IQ, albeit not phenomenal, prices everyone can afford.

In that light, I'd like from Olympus a full set of 12/2.5, 17/1.8, 25/1.8 with the same characteristics as the 45mm f/1.8. Let it be plastic body, I don't much care to be honest.

• Like Like x 4